Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I have noticed a strange noise coming from the engine when I start up a cold engine in the morning. It sounds like a shovel being pushed into a pile of gravel. I have had the car since November with no issues at all until now. The trouble is, once the engine is warmed up the sound is no longer heard when I start it, so there is no way that the dealership can confirm the problem. Anybody have ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
You sure there isn't a workman digging a hole just near to your car? Just kidding ;-)

If this is a continuous noise that runs for 20 or 30 seconds after start up and sounds to be down the back of the engine, it is probably just a normal process where under certain conditions, the engine management system will force feed the catalytic converter with excess fuel. It does it because the converter is not efficient when cold. It's sounded to me when I heard rather like the exhaust blowing badly.

If that rings a bell, don't worry it is normal. I have a PDF somewhere but I can't access my computer until after next week.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Direct injection vehicles can chatter upon start up and quiet down as the engine warms. That would be my guess but think you'd of noticed it before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts