Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

New member seeking FWD CX3

11K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  DJ9999 
#1 ·
Hello CX3 folk. My first post but been lurking for months. Wondering if any info on when we can expect FWD versions in USA. My local dealers says Mazda has not started production of FWD CX3 yet. Since we have a Highlander AWD we just want a fun to drive economy car so the bit of extra mpg and scoot in the FWD would suit us fine. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Confused, I own a FWD CX3 bought here in the US (SC).

#11 ·
I'm also in VA (Northern VA) and according to the dealers I've talked to the # of FWD vs AWD is going to be small and next to impossible to find (particularly along the Northeast Seaboard). Because the Mazda 3 hatchback doesn't come in AWD they didn't want to gut the sales of that car so they sent mostly AWD. I've yet to see a FWD, but I was able to get a Sport AWD for a great price.

#6 ·
Can't you guys factory order the exact model you want?

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses! I kind of figured local dealer was trying to sell what he had (AWD) but I wanted to see if others had successfully found FWD versions. Veracity does not seem to be a characteristic of our local car dealers. Guess I'll check into a Ceramic FWD but it would be nice to drive a FWD before ordering.

#10 ·
Have mine on order...no FWD in the Northeast at all. I live in New York and checked the Tri state area for a FWD car and came up with zip. I had to special order one. I think all the FWD cars are being shipped to the south, midwest and westcoast. There might be some coming in now but as of a couple of weeks ago there wasn't a thing available. I was told that Mazda was really pushing the AWD and it makes sense especially in the Northeast where winter is coming.

#13 ·
NO FWD's until January?!

Banana I too am been seeking a FWD GT but have been told by 10 dealers from PA/NJ/DE that no FWD GT's will ship in our area until new year. It's like Mazda decided that anything north of VA is snow areas and they want to push the AWD version hard. The dealers won't even take an order for FWD GT!!

#14 ·
Banana I too am been seeking a FWD GT but have been told by 10 dealers from PA/NJ/DE that no FWD GT's will ship in our area until new year. It's like Mazda decided that anything north of VA is snow areas and they want to push the AWD version hard. The dealers won't even take an order for FWD GT!!
Sorry to hear that! Have you checked cars.com and the inventory on Mazda's website?

#16 ·
cars.com is pretty up-to-date. I filtered by drivetrain and trim when I was searching for mine.

As for mazdausa.com, just go to the CX-3 page and build your car. All you really need to put in is your trim and drivetrain. Grand Touring FWD for you, right? Once you get to page 5, the Summary page, click "Search Inventory." I got No Results a million times, so just click "Expand Search Radius," put in your zip code and do like 250 miles to get the largest range. It'll show the interior/exterior colors and MSRP so you can kind of guess what other options/packages are included with the car. Then I would just go to that dealership's website to get more info on the car, and reach out to them for a quote if I wanted to.

You can then refine your search by trim and color at the top and sort by distance to find the ones nearest to you. This helped a lot for me, since I was so specific in what I wanted. The closest one I wanted was two hours away, but I did end up making that drive to get it. It was worth it :) Hope this helps!

#18 ·
No luck yet with FWD GT

Very much appreciate the advice Banana....did exactly what you suggested but no luck. The two dealers closest to me won't even respond to emails regarding a FWD GT! As suggested earlier in the posts I think Mazda wants to capitalize on the bad winters we have in the NJ/PA area and sell as many as possible AWD versions.....and not hurt mazda 3 hatchback sales too.

I even asked both dealers if they would special order it.....not even a response. The one dealer has 31 CX-3's in stock right now. I'm going to try closer to Christmas and hope that Mazda starts shipping some to the Northeast States. In the meantime let us know how you like your FWD version! What type of MPG's you averaging?

And a thank you for member who welcomed me to Forum too!

#19 ·
Very much appreciate the advice Banana....did exactly what you suggested but no luck. The two dealers closest to me won't even respond to emails regarding a FWD GT! As suggested earlier in the posts I think Mazda wants to capitalize on the bad winters we have in the NJ/PA area and sell as many as possible AWD versions.....and not hurt mazda 3 hatchback sales too.

I even asked both dealers if they would special order it.....not even a response. The one dealer has 31 CX-3's in stock right now. I'm going to try closer to Christmas and hope that Mazda starts shipping some to the Northeast States. In the meantime let us know how you like your FWD version! What type of MPG's you averaging?

And a thank you for member who welcomed me to Forum too!
@ soldano21

If you are near the Jersey area I just special ordered mine from Ramsey Mazda. It's gonna take at least 3 months though to get to you. I placed mine in Sept and the guy said I might get it by Christmas. We'll see. Plus he gave me a good deal.

Also Garden City Mazda said they could special order one too for me. They are located in Long Island New York. I only went with Ramsey cause he offered me deal right away. Hope this helps.

#22 ·

1138 I'm going to take your info and see if I can special order from Maple Shade Mazda in South Jersey (where I live). Can you share if Ramsey took anything off of MSRP? Dealers I'm dealing with here are not dealing at all yet....maybe soon since the inventories are growing. Appreciate all your help!

Oh and too the member who said there's 625 FWD CX-3's....I'm sure you're correct nationally but the Grand Touring FWD's are no where to be found here in the NorthEast.

#23 ·
Oh and too the member who said there's 625 FWD CX-3's....I'm sure you're correct nationally but the Grand Touring FWD's are no where to be found here in the NorthEast.
I did a search on cars.com for FWD GTs using a NYC zip code and they're all about 275 outside of the city. I don't know where in the NorthEast you are but it seems there are some in the region.

#25 ·
Thanks to all who replied re: FWD availability. Since I didn't want AWD anyway I ended up buying a brand new 2014 Mazda 3S for $3500 off MSRP. Found it to be roomier, more dog friendly, better power with 184HP., and a little better handling. Noise levels seemed similar. It's also rated 27/37 mpg. Still not an easy decision. Good bye and good luck to CX3 forum!

#29 ·
Grand Touring FWD's are rare

DJ I agree that there are hundreds of FWD CX-3's but to clarify if you want a Grand Touring version with FWD that's where, dependent on geography, you're screwed. Dealers north of VA have none. January is the company line that all of them are saying is when Mazda will begin shipping FWD versions to these areas.

#30 ·
DJ I agree that there are hundreds of FWD CX-3's but to clarify if you want a Grand Touring version with FWD that's where, dependent on geography, you're screwed. Dealers north of VA have none. January is the company line that all of them are saying is when Mazda will begin shipping FWD versions to these areas.
I'll second that! Have mine on order and probably won't get mine till January...December if I'm lucky. I live in New York BTW and nothing in the Tri-State area!

#34 ·
Just a few FWD's

DJ I did what you suggested and there's a grand total of 6 FWD with the Grand Touring package within 250 miles of Northern VA. Again Mazda has purposefully chosen not to ship the FWD GT version to large parts of the US. It's BS in my opinion and the two dealers I spoke to in NJ told me they are not happy about it either. You're blessed to be in VA but us NJ folks are SOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.