Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CX3 is 2019. I love this car. I bought it 3 years after my divorce. I had only driven my dad’s cars and then married, so then everything was taken care of by my ex. I have never bought tires before and I don’t want to walk into discount tire without knowing what to look for. I only have 25,000 miles on my car right now and the tires look good. They have 18” rims which I believe are stock, so at least I know that. Beyond that, I have no clue. I’m picturing me looking at tires next year. Any suggestions?

Also, if a car is AWD, why would I need to rotate the tires? It was my belief that front wheel wear on front tires, so you had to rotate them to get equal wearing. Thoughts???

·
Registered
1 Posts
My CX3 is 2019. I love this car. I bought it 3 years after my divorce. I had only driven my dad’s cars and then married, so then everything was taken care of by my ex. I have never bought tires before and I don’t want to walk into discount tire without knowing what to look for. I only have 25,000 miles on my car right now and the tires look good. They have 18” rims which I believe are stock, so at least I know that. Beyond that, I have no clue. I’m picturing me looking at tires next year. Any suggestions?

Also, if a car is AWD, why would I need to rotate the tires? It was my belief that front wheel wear on front tires, so you had to rotate them to get equal wearing. Thoughts???
Hello, you can just go to the Discount Tire website and enter in what car you have and it will show you what tires are avaliable for your car at your local store and read reviews/do your own online research about each tire they have. BTW, 18" tires for the CX-3 are actually very limited, my store only carrys one tire for this car. Ignore the other comment about not going to Discount Tire, I think he is thinking you meant a store that sells discounted tires, whereas Dicount Tire is the name of the store haha.

You want to rotate your tires regularly regarless of FWD or AWD because tires do not naturally wear evenly. On the plus side, if you get your tires at Discount Tire they will rotate them for free for life. At least in Colorado they do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CarrJe647
TIRES
I dont think the you should walk into any discount store to but tires ,ever !

The reason for rotating tires every 10,000 K is so they all wear out at the same time.
it is not good to have new and old tires on the same car.

i do not recomend buying tire based on price
I do recomend buying tire based on quality.

I would think that your 2019 Mazda CX3 has 18 " diameter by 7 "wide metal wheels
The selection of standard tires available for your car's wheels is limited.

Your residential area will determing the type standard of tire suitble for you car.
I would invite you to spend time reviewing tires ,as tires today are state of the art

You should considder safe tires and other crireria for all weather conditions.
You have a quality car deserving of quality tires.
Thank you for your guidance. Although, I am not sure you know this, but "Discount Tire" is a franchise that sells tires here on the West Coast. It's not a discount store. Thank you though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For the 18" rim size on certain CX-3 models, the tire size is P215/50VR18 so this is what you need to use when choosing a tire. The minimum tread depth in the USA is the same as in the UK - i.e. 2/32" or 1.6mm - so until your current tires get down to this level (if you frequently drive in rain or snow, you may want to consider changing when the depth is closer to 4/32") you don't legally need to change them. As others have said it can be advisable to rotate the tires to even out the wear. I think the front tires will always wear quicker, even in the AWD version, as they are still doing the largest element of braking plus steering whilst carrying the extra weight due to the engine and gearbox.

Here's some useful information re tire tread depths Tire Tread Depth: Why It Matters and How to Measure It | Tire America

·
Registered
2018 CX3 GT AWD Soul Crystal Red (Bose System, White Leather Seats)
7 Posts

I was asking the same question on the rotation matter and it seems is ok for the AWD to rotate them every 10.000kms. For the tire selection (in my case) i will definively buy the same mine came with, i love them!!! They are Toyo Tires Proxes R40 they look great and have nice grip too.

Im from Costa Rica so i do not know if they are good or bad in snow/ice but they do perform pretty well in mud, sand and rocky terrain.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you have Costco warehouse near you and are a member go there for tires.
Great prices. Flats fixed free. Tires rotated free and balanced free. Knowledgeable staff and will not rip customers off. BJs and Sam’s club are similar to Costco deal. Never tell anyone at a dealership or car repair service center that you don’t know much or anything about cars, even if you don’t know a lot. Learn as you go and ask questions. But Costco is a safe plan.
Also, drive in and ask them to evaluate if you need tires. They will advise you at no charge. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts