Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I decided to upgrade the original head unit in my car to the aftermarket device on android. Judging by the reviews on the Internet, this device is not a bad option. Do you think it's worth spending money on a device of this brand?

·
Registered
460 Posts
So I went down this rabbit hole a while back and learned the hardway this is a bad idea if you have the infotainment system. This one is actually overpriced but similar to the chinese "cx-2/3" units you can find on aliexpress. Basically long story short, if you have the infotainment screen aka the touchscreen unit which every single cx-3 does in North America, not sure about Europe/asia etc but in places like taiwan and such theres an actual radio where the screen would be. Its a simple radio with volume dial and no touchscreen. That is what this unit is meant to replace. A radio swap for a radio unit ONLY.

(Im attempting to attach a link to the picture of what Im referring to)

The reason why this is an issue for the touchscreen units is the fact that system functions for hud/lighting/maintence /and even viewing engine error codes etc are controlled by the headunit. In this case the headunit is linked to core car functions. For the radio version, theres none of that because its a simple radio just a different form from the single/double din variety.

The other issue is android headunits are not really as convenient as you will be led to believe. I have installed multiple android os headunits and drive with one daily in our family's old nissan sentra.

Not to get too much into it but the gist of it will be this:
-Bluetooth is limited and will have connection issues.
-GPS is offline which is very difficult to find an app for. Sygic is the only one ive seen that works for the most part. Google maps will not work because requires you to reauthenticate online every day or something like that.
-There is no data connection. You need to buy one with lte support and pay for a data sim to add to it but then again, is that really worth the cost?
-It is not as clean as mobile phone android. The android os is sitting on top of a server based unit. Meaning every function sound/app switching/reverse cam/radio/bluetooth and even boot cycle is controlled by an external controller and not android settings itself.
-Controls will not function like the oem mazda controller. Its basically a 'universal swc' which you connect and assign functions to. So at most you can adjust volume and switch between apps you hard program into buttons and hit 'next/previous' functions but those only work on the radio (next/previous do not work in any other app except radio and bluetooth because of the server thing mentioned before, android is not the core here but an overlay really)
-Bluetooth is an app not a function,
-Cannot use oem steeringwheel control or reverse cam, this applies for any unit to any car.

The list goes on but yea I would NOT recommend switching out the oem touchscreen/controls for something like this unless the unit breaks and the cost to repair is immense. Even then I am not sure how the car will react to the unit missing and being replaced by a 'radio only'. The only thing I would suggest if you want to be adventurous is to get a joying-auto unit with the detachable screens. Hide the base somewhere like glove box, get the extension cable for the screen and figure out a way to mount the screen (its detachable and mountable anywhere as long as you can set up the mounting points and have extension cable) but even then you are still limited to the same functions/issues as any other android unit.

I have gone through XDAdevelopers forums immensely these last few years trying to find ways around it, rooting my unit and changing values and thats when I learned the hard way that android doesnt control the functions of the unit. Is it a bad unit? Not really, its way better than pioneer/alpine radios for the price, but its really only for upgrading 'radio only' cars like the one pictured to a more modern functionality to add in gps, reverse cam.

Now if you have the radio only version of the cx-3 then sure give it a shot but its not as clean and bug free as you will be led to believe by the advertising.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also if you do get one, do not get one without 4gb ram and at least 64gb storage. Android stock images get pretty bloaty and buggy when they are not optimized and also with the addition of the system apps and such, you need 4gb for it to be usable. My old joying units have 2gb ram and they suffer quite a bit. Joying is probably the most developed unit brand and even then its meh in comparison to android phones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts