Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as a public announcement there is a new CMU update that has corrected a lot of issues from slow start up to bluetooth syncing speed while fixing app comparability like Pandora or Stitcher. Make sure everyone updates to the new version especially those who may have had issues with boot times, random restarts, system freezing/lag, and other bluetooth issues. This is "suppose" to fix many of these issues.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just as a public announcement there is a new CMU update that has corrected a lot of issues from slow start up to bluetooth syncing speed while fixing app comparability like Pandora or Stitcher. Make sure everyone updates to the new version especially those who may have had issues with boot times, random restarts, system freezing/lag, and other bluetooth issues. This is "suppose" to fix many of these issues.
Right. I had mine updated a week ago and it has made quite a difference in the brightness level in the Info screen and instrument display. It is far more intuitive than before. However, I did notice that the automatic audio level adjusted to vehicle speed is way off. The audio is almost ear splitting when I reach a certain speed, so I'll have to tinker with this until it is just right again. :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
What number is the latest release?When I take it to the dealer I want to make sure they know.
The last time I needed a update they would not do it and I called Mazda to call the dealer to make them do the update.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I had my car in for a problem fix with the ac during this winter I asked them if they could upgrade the infotament system at the same time.
They said that they wouldnt upgrade it unless there is a reason to upgrade it (like if you are having problem with the bluetooth or anything else)
I made up that I have a problem connecting my phone sometimes (never had a problem with that) so they eventually upgraded it to the latest version.
It sounds wery strange, why didnt they just upgrade it.
Why must there be a reason?
Isnt it reason enough that I just want the latest version?
Maybe I misunderstood something.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They said that they wouldnt upgrade it unless there is a reason to upgrade it (like if you are having problem with the bluetooth or anything else)
Wow, that's terrible customer service. I just went in last time and told them I want the latest update, and they did it. I'll go in for the new update soon.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I had my car in for a problem fix with the ac during this winter I asked them if they could upgrade the infotament system at the same time.
I made up that I have a problem connecting my phone sometimes (never had a problem with that) so they eventually upgraded it to the latest version.
It sounds wery strange, why didnt they just upgrade it.
Why must there be a reason?
Isnt it reason enough that I just want the latest version?
Maybe I misunderstood something.
I suspect it's because there is risk of something going wrong every time you upgrade and a bad flash could brick the CMU, which would mean warranty parts and labor costs involved. The dealer may feel the updates aren't worth the risk unless there's a problem that needs to be fixed or if a major new feature has been added.

Another problem is that, if it's anything like my nearest dealership, the service department is frequently heavily booked and scheduling time for a tech to do the update when this is the only service being done is undesireable from a revenue generating standpoint, so they might push back on it if you're not getting any other billable or warranty/recall work done. My understanding is that the flashing process is extremely slow. Takes way longer than it seems like should be necessary. I've heard estimates up to 45 minutes to an hour to do the update and then check everything out to make sure it flashed correctly. Granted, this is something that could be started and the tech can walk away and do other billable work in the shop while the flash is working. He likely doesn't need to sit there babysitting it the whole time.

Basically, it's likely a more agreeable request for a dealer if you ask for it at the same time you get an oil change done or something like that. That said, my understanding is that they're supposed to be providing this service upon request without any qualifiers like getting other services. I agree with Greaseman. Poor customer service, but possibly understandable if they're swamped with other billable work for other customers with more critical problems that need work.

Edit: Read through the TSB Snoogie posted. Says 0.3 hrs to do the repair. That's far quicker estimate than I've heard for doing these firmware flashes. Quickest I've heard was about 20 minutes and that's not including time spent verifying the software works as intended after flashing.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes that's definitely understandable if they're swamped (very rare for that to happen I would think), but in that case they could say you will have to wait a week or so. To outright tell you they won't do it unless there's a problem is unacceptable. Many dealers around here, not just Mazda, have online schedules for customers so it makes it easy to see when they have an available opening. There's usually plenty of openings when I make a schedule, then I get a call or email to confirm and that's it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very interesting reading. I'll make sure to print this out and hand it to the service tech next time I'm in the dealership for next scheduled service (likely next month sometime). Thanks Snoogie for providing this document. Big help. Last time I was in for service (February), the service writer basically said there was no update since I had bought the car (last September) which I was suspicious about. I think this particular dealer, who has 4 or 5 stars from Mazda, just says this if there is no specific problem reported. I am going to a different dealer next service regardless. Last thing, I see for the CX-9 where the tach display has been removed. A shame as I thought the graphic tach idea was pretty neat on the one I drove as a dealer loaner.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is strange to hear that someone was being denied an update for their car. We update vehicles when either the customers states there is a problem, customer just wants the newest stuff, or pre-delievery inspections/sale inspections. The procedure pays .3 which in real time when I do it takes about 20 mins to download both the back up and the actual update software. Being told not to update your unit unless you have a complaint sounds really off. And at least at our dealership if we are booked I would take a car outside, run an extension cord and battery charger to the car and update it outside (even in the snow).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with both of you. It could really well be like that @Vipre77.
I will try to get an answer next time I am in the workshop. Maybe the young guy by the desk was new and didnt really know what applies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts