Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite all the hype over the new Mazda 3 introduced last night, I still think our CX-3s are better looking.

OK, I would like to have the additional tech and greater horsepower :)

What say you?

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
It's definitely appealing.

The current 3 has the same ground clearance as the CX-3 and I doubt that will change too much for the 2019.

The addition of AWD is interesting. If it's available on the base model hatchback as well as the upper tiers then it makes me wonder why anyone in the USA would bother with a CX-3 (aside from our obsession with CUVs).

It's certainly an eye-catching shape. Behind the B-pillar it has a bit of the Chrysler Crossfire's pooping dog look but it doesn't look quite as bad on the 3. I think it's the fact that, unlike the Crossfire, it doesn't look like two different cars glued together. I kind of like it.

I've had my eye on larger alternatives since we added an 80 lb dog to our family (much to the delight of our existing 50 lb dog). A 2019 3-hatch might be just the extra little bit of space we need to take the dogs on trips. I'll probably look most closely at a Skyactiv-G 2.5L and let the early adopters deal with the joy of beta testing an entirely new engine paradigm (Skyactiv-X).

·
Registered
491 Posts
This is probably going to vary depending on peoples tastes and preferences. In my case, that c pillar area near the rear/side is ruining it for me with regards to the hatch. It looks like a rushed job on the designer. You would think they would complete the aesthetic flow of the front to the back like they do on the current models. The sedan looks great and the lip trunk is a nice touch. The hatch looks like they used the template for the 2018 3 hatch and decided we need to add more trunk space and extended the rear without modifying the design or rear windows to flow into it. I would be more inclined to look at a hyundai veloster instead. The biggest hype here is for the awd system but who knows how thats going to play out in pricing since manufacturers like to dub it a "luxurious" or "premium" feature on sedan/hatches. Personally I would have loved to see a return to a "racing inspired" model lineup like the mazdaspeed.

Strange enough, I would question the value of a cx-3 moving forward if mazdas sedan/hatch lineup suddenly had awd all around. A mazda speed 3 or whatever with awd and a turbo would be a lovely competitor to subaru and the focus rs but thats just a dream at this point lol.

Also wow thats a huge blind spot on the hatch

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is it just me or are manufacturers moving towards what bmw and audi have done, where almost all of their models look identical and noone can tell them apart? Its like theres no soul in a car anymore that made you excited to own a specific one because it was unique and stood out sometimes too much, and sometimes just enough that it wasent lumped into the same category of "oh its a mazda". Like the buick commercials I see everywhere here " WOW DID YOU SEE THE NEW BUICK!?" no because a) noone says that ever and b) they all look practically the same and theres no added value between them especially when compared to other brands which trump it in comparison for the price and features. Now its just marketing hype to sell the latest model while a dealership bombards your mailing address with letters to trade in the vehicle you just bought a few months ago.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's definitely appealing.

The current 3 has the same ground clearance as the CX-3 and I doubt that will change too much for the 2019.

The addition of AWD is interesting. If it's available on the base model hatchback as well as the upper tiers then it makes me wonder why anyone in the USA would bother with a CX-3 (aside from our obsession with CUVs).

It's certainly an eye-catching shape. Behind the B-pillar it has a bit of the Chrysler Crossfire's pooping dog look but it doesn't look quite as bad on the 3. I think it's the fact that, unlike the Crossfire, it doesn't look like two different cars glued together. I kind of like it.

I've had my eye on larger alternatives since we added an 80 lb dog to our family (much to the delight of our existing 50 lb dog). A 2019 3-hatch might be just the extra little bit of space we need to take the dogs on trips. I'll probably look most closely at a Skyactiv-G 2.5L and let the early adopters deal with the joy of beta testing an entirely new engine paradigm (Skyactiv-X).
Well thought out considerations, IMO. Comments:

• For us snow-country types, the CX-3 could definitely use more ground clearance. Someone mentioned a German firm that supplies suspension shims, providing a higher, if less stable, stance.

• In addition to the pose one can strike with their SUV, I think seat height (easy entry/exit, commanding view), not-to-mention space, adds to their popularity.

EDIT: I omitted my whole point! I think ride height ... their ever-lower, more streamlined, "sports car" orientation ... is one of the major reasons Ford is having to abandon their car line, and GM is cutting back ... no space, poor visibility, hard to get in and out, etc. While far too large for my needs and tastes, the CX-5 is a step in the right direction.

Now we just need some sales figures to substantiate or sink my conjectures :)

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Also wow thats a huge blind spot on the hatch
This is one of the reasons for blind spot monitoring systems.

Is it just me or are manufacturers moving towards what bmw and audi have done, where almost all of their models look identical and noone can tell them apart?
VW did this a while ago. Look at the B5 Passat (1998-2001) and the MK4/A4 Jetta (1999 - 2005). It wasn't uncommon to hear people complement Passat owners on their Jettas.

Well thought out considerations, IMO. Comments:

• For us snow-country types, the CX-3 could definitely use more ground clearance. Someone mentioned a German firm that supplies suspension shims, providing a higher, if less stable, stance.
You can get coil spring spacers from Jegs or Amazon for $10 each.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
It's similar in Chicago. My favorite is when they wait until they already have two wheels over the line before they signal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I, as with "most people around here" do not grasp

Most people around here dont seem to grasp the concept of a turn signal rendering blind spot monitoring practically useless :/
I certainly do not grasp that the "concept of a turn signal" renders "blind spot monitoring practically useless". I do use my turn signal when I am changing lanes (long before I have two wheels in the other lane) and it is really helpful that the blind spot monitor does alert me if there is a car coming up from behind. Usually, it is overly conservative in the warning, but it is GREAT that it does warn you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I certainly do not grasp that the "concept of a turn signal" renders "blind spot monitoring practically useless". I do use my turn signal when I am changing lanes (long before I have two wheels in the other lane) and it is really helpful that the blind spot monitor does alert me if there is a car coming up from behind. Usually, it is overly conservative in the warning, but it is GREAT that it does warn you.
For sure it is a helpful piece of technology but you will only be alerted if you use the turn signals making it useless for those bad drivers who do not and just shove their car in front of you. Generally bad drivers are still bad regardless of the technology you give them. Call me old fashioned but I am a firm believe in needing some logic and skill when driving.

P.s. Blind spot monitoring wont take into consideration the speed of cars outside of its "sensor range". If you cut in front of someone just outside of the range who is going 90mph and you are going 20mph, that person behind better be paying attention and have damn good brakes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Blind Spot Monitoring

For sure it is a helpful piece of technology but you will only be alerted if you use the turn signals making it useless for those bad drivers who do not and just shove their car in front of you. Generally bad drivers are still bad regardless of the technology you give them. Call me old fashioned but I am a firm believe in needing some logic and skill when driving.

P.s. Blind spot monitoring wont take into consideration the speed of cars outside of its "sensor range". If you cut in front of someone just outside of the range who is going 90mph and you are going 20mph, that person behind better be paying attention and have damn good brakes
Now I understand what you meant. Logic and skill are indeed necessary when driving. With increasing age (I am 81) my logic and skills are decreasing and so I really appreciate the help that aids such as blind spot monitoring gives me. Bad drivers are a real danger for me (if you want to experience bad drivers, you should try driving in France) and so I really appreciate the aids that my “cher” CX-3 gives me.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don’t think indicators negate the need of blind spot monitoring. I use my mirrors and indicators but occasionally something pops out.

Back to the original very good question, I think if you want a compact SUV, then the CX3 is the best choice especially with the latest spec. If you want more load and more power then the gorgeous 3 is the way forward. I think it is stunning.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Now I understand what you meant. Logic and skill are indeed necessary when driving. With increasing age (I am 81) my logic and skills are decreasing and so I really appreciate the help that aids such as blind spot monitoring gives me. Bad drivers are a real danger for me (if you want to experience bad drivers, you should try driving in France) and so I really appreciate the aids that my “cher” CX-3 gives me.
Mon Dieu! I cannot believe there's someone actually older than me (if only slightly) also driving a CX-3!

As for an inverse relationship between age and driving skills, I guess I have to agree. 'And in recognition of my "youth deficiency", I welcome all aids, conveniences, and safety features. But I must admit, my "aide" periodically reminds me to signal my intentions :-(

EDIT: Or, "... older than I (am) ...", if you want to be pedantic :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don’t think indicators negate the need of blind spot monitoring. I use my mirrors and indicators but occasionally something pops out.

Back to the original very good question, I think if you want a compact SUV, then the CX3 is the best choice especially with the latest spec. If you want more load and more power then the gorgeous 3 is the way forward. I think it is stunning.
I agree most assuredly. My wife fell in love with the CX3 sitting in the show room (looks and AWD). Not terribly rational but there you are. She does not usually go gaga over a vehicle but did with the CX3 and in three years she has been happy with it albeit wishing for a bit more space ala the CX5. I showed her the new Mazda 3 and she thought it is gorgeous! Luckily for me there are none available here yet. We shall see how this plays out, guess I better leave her home when I take our Mazda in for an oil change... ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
King's English

Mon Dieu! I cannot believe there's someone actually older than me (if only slightly) also driving a CX-3!

As for an inverse relationship between age and driving skills, I guess I have to agree. 'And in recognition of my "youth deficiency", I welcome all aids, conveniences, and safety features. But I must admit, my "aide" periodically reminds me to signal my intentions :-(

Mainemanx, you corrected your “King’s English”, which made me terribly embarrassed because, in my previous post, I made two terrible mistakes (“gives” instead of “give”, twice) that I did not correct.
But to get back to the subject of this thread, I find the new 2019 Mazda 3 (at least much as I can tell from the photos) quite ugly compared to the CX-3. The technology under the hood is another matter.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Mainemanx, you corrected your “King’s English”, which made me terribly embarrassed because, in my previous post, I made two terrible mistakes (“gives” instead of “give”, twice) that I did not correct.
But to get back to the subject of this thread, I find the new 2019 Mazda 3 (at least much as I can tell from the photos) quite ugly compared to the CX-3. The technology under the hood is another matter.
"Arrant pedantry up with which [we] shall not put". :)

Agreed on the 3, possibly "inspired by", but IMO it fails to capture the "purity" of the Kai Concept car.

·
Registered
451 Posts

Hey, I just turned 82 last month and the safety tech of the 2016 CX3 GT was the reason I bought it. I have been a Subaru guy until they failed to provide a blind spot monitor on the 2016 Crosstrek XV which would have been the car I would buy all things being equal. The CX3 has that and a lot of other safety stuff, plus it looks more spiffy and is a lot more fun to drive. So CX3 it is. The only things I don't like are the noise level and the feeling of being a bit cramped inside.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, I just turned 82 last month and the safety tech of the 2016 CX3 GT was the reason I bought it. I have been a Subaru guy until they failed to provide a blind spot monitor on the 2016 Crosstrek XV which would have been the car I would buy all things being equal. The CX3 has that and a lot of other safety stuff, plus it looks more spiffy and is a lot more fun to drive. So CX3 it is. The only things I don't like are the noise level and the feeling of being a bit cramped inside.
I like the CS-3’’s positives so much that I:
• Added under hood and door sound deadening … and have plans to do the wheel wells, trunk, and maybe even the roof.
• Installed 16” wheels with the consequent 2” greater tire sidewall … for a quieter and more compliant ride.
• Installed an electric Recaro Ergomed seat: more comfortable and enabling a better fit of my body to the controls, and improved visibility.

One additional safety feature I’d like to add is the HR-V’s lane watch camera … combined with our blindspot warning, would approach the ultimate in blindspot monitoring.

The CX-3 is my college-days 356 substitute, with a bigger back seat :) And while I’d like more power (more displacement, the new gasoline diesel, or a turbo) it would only get me in trouble :)

P.S. We should form an octogenarians subgroup ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Octogenerains Subgroup :))

I like the CS-3’’s positives so much that I:
• Added under hood and door sound deadening … and have plans to do the wheel wells, trunk, and maybe even the roof.
• Installed 16” wheels with the consequent 2” greater tire sidewall … for a quieter and more compliant ride.
• Installed an electric Recaro Ergomed seat: more comfortable and enabling a better fit of my body to the controls, and improved visibility.

One additional safety feature I’d like to add is the HR-V’s lane watch camera … combined with our blindspot warning, would approach the ultimate in blindspot monitoring.

The CX-3 is my college-days 356 substitute, with a bigger back seat :) And while I’d like more power (more displacement, the new gasoline diesel, or a turbo) it would only get me in trouble :)

P.S. We should form an octogenarians subgroup ;-)
If we were to form an “octogenarians” subgroup, what would we talk about? (Octogenerians normally only talk about their aches and pains (or, in my case in an earlier post, my decreasing logic and skills)).

·
Registered
491 Posts

If it helps to justify the purchase of the cx-3 over the crosstrek(which I was also debating back then) subaru is issuing a recall on valve springs of their 2.0 engines starting from 2012ish models and forward. Just the idea of techs having to take apart an engine and put it back together for a recall, thats been estimated around 10hours on another site that was surveying it, was enough to turn me off from subaru. This is hitting even some cars up to 2017 since they have the same exact part number that was found to be faulty and like with all recalls they do a set amount at a time so everyone is not rushing for repairs at once :/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts