Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CX 3 Touring
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2019 CX 3 Touring, the steering wheel is peeling like an onion in some parts, it looks like it is not real leather, anybody else? Is this covered under warranty?

·
Registered
19 Posts
2019 awd same thing.
Did some research on it, seems all leather in the last 10 years is clear coated , and it sure looks like it’s the clear coat peeling in the 2:00 and 10:00 positions. The leather itself is not abraded, cracked, or transferring dye.

I haven’t brought this to my Mazda dealership’s attention, I’m afraid they’ll tell me to avoid grasping the steering wheel while driving...

What the YouTube leather gurus suggest is to remove the clear coat with anywhere from 400-1200 wet/dry sandpaper and reapply the clear coat. However Im having difficulty locating this magic exlir, and haven’t found a source yet. Btw, I have never and will never order anything from Amazon.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 CX 3 Touring
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2019 awd same thing.
Did some research on it, seems all leather in the last 10 years is clear coated , and it sure looks like it’s the clear coat peeling in the 2:00 and 10:00 positions. The leather itself is not abraded, cracked, or transferring dye.

I haven’t brought this to my Mazda dealership’s attention, I’m afraid they’ll tell me to avoid grasping the steering wheel while driving...

What the YouTube leather gurus suggest is to remove the clear coat with anywhere from 400-1200 wet/dry sandpaper and reapply the clear coat. However Im having difficulty locating this magic exlir, and haven’t found a source yet. Btw, I have never and will never order anything from Amazon.

Thoughts?
I don't know about sanding it, mine is very gummy, it will load up the sanding paper, I have applied leather conditioner a couple of times since I bought the car a year ago, I thought about buying a leather steering wheel cover but they are all lace on and don't want to spend the time or effort doing that, there are others that are microfiber leather and have no idea whar that is. Probably all that clear coat will eventually fall off, I would not reapply any clear coat. I might try sanding a small area to see what happens, thanks for yout input Edward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about sanding it, mine is very gummy, it will load up the sanding paper, I have applied leather conditioner a couple of times since I bought the car a year ago
The steering wheel on my 2017 CX3 was straight up funky with not only the black leather dye worn off but layers and layers of dirt and gunk from driving around with dirty hands...I basically took a rag with gasoline and scrubbed the dirt off, in doing so it took more of the old dye off. Then to get rid of the gasoline smell I repeated with rubbing alcohol. I have not tried re-dying it yet but it looks and feels much nicer just being cleaned off.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On my 2019 CX 3 Touring, the steering wheel is peeling like an onion in some parts, it looks like it is not real leather, anybody else? Is this covered under warranty?
2018. Right near the end of my extended warranty I noticed 3 little peels. I had seen on Facebook that people were having issues so I took it in. They replaced the wheel no questions asked. The guy told me I was not even close to the first one to come in with the same issue.
Warranty or not, I’d take it in anyway and make a fuss.
Word of note: Don’t expect a whole new steering wheel. They just replace the “wheel” part. It’s a matte “leather” type that doesn’t smooth out after use….so far lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts