Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
My first thought is revised shocks/struts and updated ESC programming.

We can do the first one ourselves but the second is a little more problematic.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow! This actually happened to me when I was travelling on Hwy #401 in Southern Ontario when my car was almost new. Actually I believe the fault should lie with an unresponsive Blind Spot warning indicator. I wanted to pass a transport going at a snail pace, and checked my rearview inside and outside, could see nothing dangerous and there was no warning from the BSM warning indicator. So I pulled out and heard a screech of tires behind and to my left and a horn blast. So I hit the brakes and tried to pull back in behind the transport and my car did the same dance as indicated in those pictures. Not fun, but I was able to wrestle the car back into my control. So fault lies with the BSM and ESC (Oh, the driver? He is of course blameless 0:) )

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not that worried about it. It was able to do 78km which is good. The new Suzuki Jimny did 68km, the Miata 80 km and the Porsche 718 did 84 km. The Juke Nismo was way worse than the CX-3 - the Nismo Juke got 75 km. Most likely it is only CX-3 with 18 in wheels that would experience the rear hop. The 16 in should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bought a cx3 with 18 inch wheels.
Could another brand tire possibly bring some improvement? I've got toyo's

·
Registered
128 Posts
W.t.f

I am not that worried about it. It was able to do 78km which is good. The new Suzuki Jimny did 68km, the Miata 80 km and the Porsche 718 did 84 km. The Juke Nismo was way worse than the CX-3 - the Nismo Juke got 75 km. Most likely it is only CX-3 with 18 in wheels that would experience the rear hop. The 16 in should be fine.
are you saying that you tried to do this, and can compare it to other cars, how can you claim that this is ok, and that 16" will make it better, W.T.F.

What and why would you even consider posting something like this, is beyond comprehension.

There is so so many variables that there is to consider in anything like this, every situation is different, every car/driver is different.

I am from over here in Australia, yes we don't have Moose, we have big MOFO kangaroo which can do some serious damage to anything, what would be better for this type of discussion is would we all be better off attending a driver education/coaching course to better our car control, in case we need to do some evasive driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Anyway, apart from the appearance, I chose the cx3 because I assumed it was a safe car.
During the many reviews on the internet it always came up that the roadholding and handling were so good. Partly for this reason, this moosetest is simply disappointing.
Good driver or not, the outcome of the test is not good, I would rather have seen it differently.
You can not be satisfied with this as a cx3 owner,
And there are no moose in the Netherlands either, but a toddler can also cross the road. In that case, I want to be able to rely on my car. We do not all have the skills of a formula one driver
I know I have not

·
Registered
88 Posts
are you saying that you tried to do this, and can compare it to other cars, how can you claim that this is ok, and that 16" will make it better, W.T.F.

What and why would you even consider posting something like this, is beyond comprehension.

There is so so many variables that there is to consider in anything like this, every situation is different, every car/driver is different.

I am from over here in Australia, yes we don't have Moose, we have big MOFO kangaroo which can do some serious damage to anything, what would be better for this type of discussion is would we all be better off attending a driver education/coaching course to better our car control, in case we need to do some evasive driving.
No I haven't done it, but if you look at the other videos from km77 (group that did the moose test) you would see that it is not "that" bad. The Renegade was a lot worse. The suspension hop does suck, but the grip and the speed was actually not bad a all. I prefer a 75 km with wheel hop that a 71 km skidding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes

No I haven't done it, but if you look at the other videos from km77 (group that did the moose test) you would see that it is not "that" bad. The Renegade was a lot worse. The suspension hop does suck, but the grip and the speed was actually not bad a all. I prefer a 75 km with wheel hop that a 71 km skidding.
agreed and glad that you have not tried to emulate this test.

Thanks for clearing this up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
agreed and glad that you have not tried to emulate this test.

Thanks for clearing this up.
I did some more informal research, and it seems that the wheel hop can be avoided by using 16 in wheels paired with better tires. The 18 in do not have a strong enough sidewall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I were the driver at that speed and had that result, I would be totally happy with it. My two considerations here are that 1 in this instance, if that were a car you were avoiding, the SCBS/SBS should aready be working in your favor and secondly if this were something that could not be avoided, the CX3 would have bounced off of a wall or car and taken some side marks but otherwise left the driver in perfectly good standing. I don't think anyone is calling a crash impossible to have in a CX3 but I'm Extremely confident that in this scenario and many others, The driver would have walked away with nothing more than some shaky nerves and that is assuming the SCS/SCBS was inoperable and or not doing its job in the first place. Given those safety systems, I doubt many CX3's will ever find themselves having to make this maneuver anyway.

·
Registered
303 Posts
This thread seems to have some attention, so I thought I would add my "opinion"

This is a rare instance - although Geezer does show how it can happen , in this instance there was no collision.

two evasive moves , back-to-back - first left and the immediate right.
most of us will not make the first move if the second is immediately recognized. I'll risk the moose before risking a head on collision with a semi.
at speed (77 km/h) on dry pavement - front end doesn't slide - thus obtaining almost maximum redirection.
- when I was younger this is how we attempted to put a car on two wheels without a ramp.

With a light curb weight, the CX-3 reduces speed quickly when braking, in "most" instances below 77 km/h before a hard turn is required, let alone a second hard turn,

In comparisons to other vehicles tested and many not even worth testing (most heavier vehicles will not redirect quickly enough ) , the CX-3 fares well at 75 km/h(better than many "sports cars") "in my opinion".

This guy has many vehicles listed and their respective maximum speed achieved.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=901130

zoom-zoom yeehaw... wasn't a moose .. is there an Elk test somewhere ?

Reactions: dorrus
1 - 14 of 14 Posts