Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had trouble finding somewhere to put it and leaving it lay around with the wire trailing wasn’t really satisfactory so I took the console out and ran the wire underneath. I terminated it through a 12mm hole in the forward cup holder which allows the wire to drop down out of the way. You can also see the screen so if a message or mail pops up you can decide whether you want to stop and deal with it (I do not condone handling the phone in any way, shape or form on the move unless it is via the hands free system). This is how it looks with the phone installed;

This is how it looks at the front of the console;

The plug in the accessory socket is for a dash cam which has also been run under the trim to the windscreen;

I’ve got plenty of photos of the process if anyone wants to see them.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brodit solution is nice as it holds the phone high up. I would still want to route the wire up the back of the dash and bring it out near the holder. It just pulls off as shown here;

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How difficult was it to remove the console?
Quite easy. Start at the back by getting your finger nails (or an old credit card if no nails!) and pull it upwards to detach it.

Next, hook the little filler panel under the hand brake with your finger and pull it up;

Now you need those finger nails or credit card to carefully and gradually ease that fancy bezel off around the bottom of the gear stick;

Now you can just get your hand under the back of the console and pull it up the maneouvre the console up over the handbrake lever. There is one little plug on the audio commander to take it off altogether;

Your not quite finished yet. To thread the wire down the front of the console, you will need that little rubber lined shelf off right under the USB ports so next, pull the bottom of the gear surround gently up to detach it. Getting the gear knob off to remove the gaiter is fiddly so just leave it on and lift it out of the way when required;

Next, those padded panels need to come out. Get hold of them and pull firmly towards the bottom of the car. If you look carefully, there is a little lug that locates it at the bottom which is important when putting it back (see the thumbnail at the end of the post);

Finally, you can get at the little shelf. You need this off to utilise the cup holder or for the Brodit solution if you want to thread the wire behind the dash. The easiest way of showing this is to show you the clips that hold it in. In this photo, the back is at the bottom. You need to pull it up at the back, nearest to you then back towards the back of the car to release it.

Remove the little rubber pad from the cup holder as this can be used later to cover the hole. I marked where the lightning connector would come through and drilled a 12mm hole (you may need to modify this for a different phone. I stuck a piece of foam loosely with masking tape under the cup holder just to stop the wire falling through;

And this is how I routed the wire to stop it fouling the handbrake;

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anchorman,

Nice job! Do you have the same step by step for the dashcam power feed? I'd be interested in that very much.

How long of a cable did you need for both setup?

Thank you!!

- B

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very nice!
Question: Does it get hot in there where the cable goes? I ask because in my 2006 Civic, I can put something on the center console where the cupholders go and in the winter I will run the heat...and things get hot. I would hate to have a wire/cable in there if it were to get really not. It may not, however.

Also, do you use the little open area at the front of the amrest to store your phone? I think that is what it is there for...designed for.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anchorman,

Nice job! Do you have the same step by step for the dashcam power feed? I'd be interested in that very much.

How long of a cable did you need for both setup?

Thank you!!

- B
The 0805 camera comes with a 3m (10ft) lead which is more than long enough and the phone lead is a standard supplied lightning connector. I photographed the dashcam install and will write it up as soon as I get chance.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice!
Question: Does it get hot in there where the cable goes? I ask because in my 2006 Civic, I can put something on the center console where the cupholders go and in the winter I will run the heat...and things get hot. I would hate to have a wire/cable in there if it were to get really not. It may not, however.

Also, do you use the little open area at the front of the amrest to store your phone? I think that is what it is there for...designed for.
Well, all I can say is there are other wires in there and various ECUs that seem to survive OK. I've never noticed it warm on the outside where the cup holders are. The CX3 has some super duper catalytic converters that get really hot under the floor. Maybe that percolates through to the interior when stationary?

That shallow arm rest is perculiar to the U.S. as the UK version comes with none. I purchased the deep accessory version which I haven't decided whether to fit yet. I think they are both tacky horrible things and given I would have to drill the console, I am still deliberating that one. Maybe Anchorwoman will pull rank at some stage ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The brodit solution is nice as it holds the phone high up. I would still want to route the wire up the back of the dash and bring it out near the holder. It just pulls off as shown here;
Anchorman,

Thanks for this. I have the Grand Touring and I was on the fence of purchasing ProClip mount. I read their installation instructions but I didn't want to mess with the leather panel. (Didn't know where the clips were so concerned about wedging a pry strip to pull it loose to install ProClip's mount.)

The attached diagram really helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
iPhone 6 Plus

I found that I can put the iPhone 6 plus sideways at an angle slightly facing the driver just under the air control knobs in front of the usb outlets. I use a short lightning right angle cable ( found on ebay) that plugs into the usb port in the place behind the iPhone. I am thinking of putting a little black horizontal bar at the bottom of that storage area so that the phone won't be able to slip if I go over bumpy roads. Since it is an iPhone 6 Plus the lightning plug sticks out so that the phone won't quit fit inside the area. It might fit if you have an iPhone 6 since it is not as tall. It works nice and is at a place where I don't have to look behind me at the cup holders area to see the phone. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello Friends,
Unfortunately my girlfriend and I have two different cell phones (iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy 6). I like the cup holder idea very much but seeing we have two different phones = two different charging cords this can make it difficult for a single solution. So I opted for a different approach (Non- Charging approach for now). I did some research and located this cool product that is dash mounted. Keeping to the minimal approach look and feel I think this, for now is our best option. I simply roll up the charging cords and keep them in the glove box. Spigen Stealth is on Amazon and not too pricey. So , just wanted to share with you all.

Cheers for now
Mick and Gerri

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Anchorman

I am thinking of putting an iPod classic in the glove box.

Your instructions here are about removing top of console to run cables back.

is there holes already under the rubber pad below the USB ports or did you drill them. ?

Would I need to just remove the sides to run to the glove box or would i need the console top off as well /

Craig

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Anchorman

I am thinking of putting an iPod classic in the glove box.

Your instructions here are about removing top of console to run cables back.

is there holes already under the rubber pad below the USB ports or did you drill them. ?

Would I need to just remove the sides to run to the glove box or would i need the console top off as well /

Craig
Sorry Craig, I missed this.

You can just about squeeze a cable between that little shelf and the frame underneath but I actually cut a little vee in the frame to accommodate the cable. You don't need the padded cheeks off - you can see right through. That panel beside the passenger footwell literally just pulls off so you can thread the cable back then up and into the glove box or drill a hole near the bottom of the glove box back and pass the cable through a grommet. What you are proposing is quite doable.

Here you go,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts