Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have a CX-3 yet, but are strongly considering buying one (we currently have a FWD CX-5 GT)

The problem is...I do not want an AWD model, yet here in the northeast, there are ONLY AWD models.

Think we are going to wait a month or two and if the FWD models start showing up int the Northeast, we will pick one up...otherwise we might go with a Jeep Renegade FWD or possibly a Mazda 3 hatchback.

Anyway, here to learn a bit more about the CX-3.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda CX3
128 Posts
It's a bit strange at the lack of FWD. My dealership (Canada) had equal amounts of AWD and FWD, for all ranges from GX to GT. Have you tried asking your dealer if they can do a search at other dealers nearby and arrange a pickup and trade with said dealer?

I know for mine I wanted the arctic white, and my dealer didn't have it, and they traded with a dealer from a town less than an hour away from me, and got what I wanted. I'm assuming a similar thing can be done to get a FWD for you? That or try arranging an order from manufacturer? Buy the vehicle from dealer, then they order to your spec, and in a week or two, you should have your FWD CX3 in the lot waiting for you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
in my opinion its hard to pin down certain pros and cons as many are subject to personal needs but from my understanding and training regarding the cx3 i can point out a few things
"PROS"
decent fuel economy for the class (better with fwd)
very comfortable for occupants
decent safety equipment standard
really nice build quality from interior trim to body panels to mechanical components
great handling for a swollen mazda 2

"CONS"
sad trunk space
at least in america only 6 spd auto (thankfully not cvt)
currently parts and repairs are pretty high but that's given till the cx3 is in the market longer
no seperate control for rear dome lights (really that confused me greatly)
center arm rest is weird to say the least and wish it offered pop out cup holders for rear passengers
no dead pedal
only one engine option (US market) which i truely wish the 2.5 could be shoved in thereas it looked like it would fit
*personal gripe* NO SPEED CX3...how cool would it be to be a speed cx3. it would be a hatchback mazdaspeed 6.

that is what i found to be the pros and cons of the cx3 mostly made during my technician training on the vehicle.

me personally its a great all rounder car that can handle the snow especially here in wisconsin, handle the city enviroment with its surprising handling and tight turning circle for a tug boat, and decent fuel mileage for a tug boat too. Might eventually test the limits of the towing capabilities as soon as more accessories are available. especially as im the only employee at my dealership who owns a cx3 i am the test monkey for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree with Snoogie with the pros and cons. I will add that if you plan on using it for long trips, the fuel tank is too small. I understand the AWD really cuts down on space, but the gas tank could have been a bit bigger. Love the handling, comfort and safety features. Lumbar and power seats would have been nice to have. A trunk light that comes on when you open the trunk would have been nice as well. Overall I really love this car and think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
872 Posts
IMO, a gas tank with 350 miles range is sufficient. I'd have to stop for a bio break at that interval at least so no biggie to get gas too. More annoying for city drivers who burn through it quickly. At least the tank fills quickly!!

My cargo light goes on/off with the door. Are you sure yours doesn't, sy5adm1n?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting. The switch on the cargo light is on or off, no middle selection. In the off position, opening the door does nothing. In the on position it stays on after the door is closed and the interior lights go out. Would be interested in which setting you have yours set for it to be automatic. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With rocker switch DOWN it is automatic ON/OFF with the hatch.
Up is OFF. You would expect the opposite, or at least I would ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I thought it should have acted that way as well. Shouldn't have to reach around to turn the light on. Mine in the down position is off, in the up position is on. It stays on after the hatch is closed and the interior lights go off. I have it at the service center now to fix a couple scratches that it got on the showroom floor. Will try it tomorrow when I get it back. Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting ... as the switch light looks symetrical it could be installed 2 ways.
Mine has the rocker switch part towards the front of the car (down on/automatic). If it was towards the back then UP would be on/automatic .....
This light assemby is probably independent of the interior lights.
My older Mazda 3 had a similar looking light, up was on and never went off, ran battery down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a bit strange at the lack of FWD. My dealership (Canada) had equal amounts of AWD and FWD, for all ranges from GX to GT. Have you tried asking your dealer if they can do a search at other dealers nearby and arrange a pickup and trade with said dealer?

I know for mine I wanted the arctic white, and my dealer didn't have it, and they traded with a dealer from a town less than an hour away from me, and got what I wanted. I'm assuming a similar thing can be done to get a FWD for you? That or try arranging an order from manufacturer? Buy the vehicle from dealer, then they order to your spec, and in a week or two, you should have your FWD CX3 in the lot waiting for you.
I asked my local dealer about FWD models, and they said nothing 'in the pipeline' and check back in about a month. I did contact another dealership a little farther away, and they said they had no information about FWD availability at all, that it may not happen until the 2017 model year.

Anyway, a little upset about that. We are still going to hold out, but it is looking more and more like we will lean toward a FWD Jeep Renegade. I'll give Mazda another month or two first to see some FWD models show up.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I asked my local dealer about FWD models, and they said nothing 'in the pipeline' and check back in about a month. I did contact another dealership a little farther away, and they said they had no information about FWD availability at all, that it may not happen until the 2017 model year.

Anyway, a little upset about that. We are still going to hold out, but it is looking more and more like we will lean toward a FWD Jeep Renegade. I'll give Mazda another month or two first to see some FWD models show up.
Have you looked at having one transferred in from VA? Several dealers have plenty of FWD models in a variety of colors and trims there. Or order one. Mine is AWD but it arrived in 6 weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Lots of FWD CX-3 here (Canada) right from the beginning back in August/Sept.
Any dealer telling you FWD is not available is just trying to get you to buy what they have today, too lazy to get one transferred from another location.
That said I bought the CX-3 because it was available with AWD (second family car).
(Second choice Subaru Impreza/Crosstrek)
If I was only looking for a small reliable FWD car I would probabaly have gone with the Mazda3.
Reliability concerns would be an issue with any Jeep and their 9 speed automatic complaints.

just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
One Less Con

in my opinion its hard to pin down certain pros and cons as many are subject to personal needs but from my understanding and training regarding the cx3 i can point out a few things
"PROS"
decent fuel economy for the class (better with fwd)
very comfortable for occupants
decent safety equipment standard
really nice build quality from interior trim to body panels to mechanical components
great handling for a swollen mazda 2

"CONS"
sad trunk space
at least in america only 6 spd auto (thankfully not cvt)
currently parts and repairs are pretty high but that's given till the cx3 is in the market longer
no seperate control for rear dome lights (really that confused me greatly)
center arm rest is weird to say the least and wish it offered pop out cup holders for rear passengers
no dead pedal
only one engine option (US market) which i truely wish the 2.5 could be shoved in thereas it looked like it would fit
*personal gripe* NO SPEED CX3...how cool would it be to be a speed cx3. it would be a hatchback mazdaspeed 6.

that is what i found to be the pros and cons of the cx3 mostly made during my technician training on the vehicle.

me personally its a great all rounder car that can handle the snow especially here in wisconsin, handle the city enviroment with its surprising handling and tight turning circle for a tug boat, and decent fuel mileage for a tug boat too. Might eventually test the limits of the towing capabilities as soon as more accessories are available. especially as im the only employee at my dealership who owns a cx3 i am the test monkey for it.
So by "Dead Pedal", do mean a place for your left foot?
It does, and a pretty good one at that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So by "Dead Pedal", do mean a place for your left foot?
It does, and a pretty good one at that.
by dead pedal i mean some metal plate that some cars have to allow my foot to rest while not messing up that carpet. its more of a visual luxury kind of deal like "sport aluminum" pedals are and it is an extremely minor gripe.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I plan to buy the accessory pedal set for my CX3 so I won't have my foot resting on carpet, makes it easier to clean too.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I can't find a foot rest I like. I want a black one that looks factory fit.

Mazda want their butt kicking for omitting that.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda CX3
128 Posts
I find myself sticking my feet there as well, right on the carpet, but my problem may be fixed with the weathertech mats incoming. Judging from the pictures in the respective thread on these liners, the walls look high enough to where to normally rest my left foot. Still wouldnt mind an accessory like mentioned above that I could just stick there when Im not using the weathertechs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i've own a few econo cars like the nissan versa and my now dead honda fit which neither had a dead pedal so i made one out of scrap billet aluminum and grind it to the shape i want and bolted it to where it should be. As ghetto rigged it was it is a nice little addition to have. I would rather not make another one and fit it to the cx3 . I also found it comfortable to have in those cars as i can rest my foot closest to the clutch pedal which just makes it easier. its just these minor touches that would of magnified the aesthetics and feel of the interior in my opinion. Im with there with anchorman as i can spam email my district manager to get one made or suggest to the higher ups to have a set manufactured hopefully. but like most things i ask it would probably never happen...(manual cx3 in the US *ahem* advance notice of new rotary *ahem*)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts