Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried these tires on the touring model with 18 inch wheels?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lewk.
TIRES
If you knew how many hours i have spent researching tires you most likely would not want to believe me.
The process is frustrating and confusing.

I am presently on OEM 215 /50/18 Toyo tires, which are fantastic road holding that is the price to pay for tire road noise on rough roads.

This tire road noise factor issue plagues many manufacturers the road quality take a very high persentage of the blame.

The decision on side wall height should be taken into consideration with regard to comfort.

Poor tire Quality will land you up side down in the ditch.

The consolation is hard rubber tread which offers longevity , meaning soft tire tread does not last as long.

Question .... should the tread be softer than the road or harder?

The road always wins !

I have decided what my next set of tires will be for our CX3 ~~~~ 225/ 50/18 with a view to keeping un sprung weight down also I don't want to overload the steering and mess the speedometer readings.
Then again it is not for me to advise you what brand of tire to choose
It is for me to recommend to you to do proper and advanced timely research in your tire selection.
Choosing tires is not an easy process being some what dependant on where you live and drive what suits you may not suit me.

Tires are the life blood of any vehicle and it occupants.

Buying tire based on quality and many other safety factors would be a very wise decision.

Buying cheep poor quality tires based on price is like playing Russian Roulette.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Poor tire Quality will land you up side down in the ditch.

Buying cheep poor quality tires based on price is like playing Russian Roulette.
The OP was asking if someone has had specific experience with Michelin Cross Climate tires on their CX-3. You didn't actually mention whether you have used these tires, but from your reply it sounds like you believe Michelin tires are poor quality.

I have the stock 18" Yokohamas on my CX-3, which will need replacement before next summer. Since I also have a set of 17" Michelin X-Ice winter tires mounted on aluminium rims, I'm interested in reviews on the Cross Climate tires from anyone who has used them. The winter Michelin tires are awesome by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The crossclimate 2 are the only other tires that is the same as oem tire size. Yokohama and pirelli is the others that makes them for the 18” rim. I read great things about them on other cars but was wondering how they are on the cx3 touring edition

·
Registered
106 Posts
The crossclimate 2 are the only other tires that is the same as oem tire size. Yokohama and pirelli is the others that makes them for the 18” rim. I read great things about them on other cars but was wondering how they are on the cx3 touring edition
My Michelin X-Ice tires are 225 / 55 - 17 so it's possible to go with a wider tire on the 18" rims. Although to keep the overall tire circumference the same you would likely need to go with a 45 aspect ratio and that might make the ride more harsh and reduce the choices out there.
I will be watching this and other tire threads for recommendations.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The OP was asking if someone has had specific experience with Michelin Cross Climate tires on their CX-3. You didn't actually mention whether you have used these tires, but from your reply it sounds like you believe Michelin tires are poor quality.

I have the stock 18" Yokohamas on my CX-3, which will need replacement before next summer. Since I also have a set of 17" Michelin X-Ice winter tires mounted on aluminium rims, I'm interested in reviews on the Cross Climate tires from anyone who has used them. The winter Michelin tires are awesome by the way.
Malks.
Cross Climate Tires
You did not say to who you are referring to , if Somers 44 , then ,may i say that Michelin is a top rated tire manufacturer, one their latest tires is their Michelin Cross Climate , and when the time comes, I will install 225 /50/18 on my CX3, that could be years from now, the OEM tire have to wear out first . The cross climate tires have many qualities which I am looking for besides having a some what of a rugged appearance ,which ,I think could suit the CX3, that is just my opinion .
I have not tried the Cross Climate tire , like many do, I trust the reviews of others it is a known fact that regardless all tire eventually will visit the tire grave yard .
Does anybody know if tire are recycled and if so what new form do they take ? Besides farm house rubber door mats!
CX3 Soul red TOYO 215 /50/18 ex factory

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lewk
Very nice
I have owned many black cars try white vinegar at 50 / 50 % with water if you get bird poop which you should deal with immediately and water spots from city water
i see how the light hits the car , you need to do no more to it
place tennis ball under the wiper arms lift the rear wiper to preserve the blades.
My car was just delivered from the show room 3 years ago . see the bonnet sticker,

We need to see more CX3 pictures just drag picture over from my pictures ,

The floating roof makes this car look longer.

Mazda CX 3 ........2 ltr auto ....... been driving 68years.
BERMUDA

·
Registered
65 Posts
Malks.
Cross Climate Tires
You did not say to who you are referring to , if Somers 44 , then ,may i say that Michelin is a top rated tire manufacturer, one their latest tires is their Michelin Cross Climate , and when the time comes, I will install 225 /50/18 on my CX3, that could be years from now, the OEM tire have to wear out first . The cross climate tires have many qualities which I am looking for besides having a some what of a rugged appearance ,which ,I think could suit the CX3, that is just my opinion .
I have not tried the Cross Climate tire , like many do, I trust the reviews of others it is a known fact that regardless all tire eventually will visit the tire grave yard .
Does anybody know if tire are recycled and if so what new form do they take ? Besides farm house rubber door mats!
CX3 Soul red TOYO 215 /50/18 ex factory
View attachment 23754

Malks
REF
Michelin Cross climate tires.

I was wondering if you had any response to your question after reviewing the comments, it would seem apparently not .

Making recommendation here on the CX3 forum comes with a degree responsibility.

I wish i could be more helpful for you.
I do know that the best tire does not perform well over time and the choice of tires is very critical.
May I suggest you try youtube where a blue vehicle is being tested over time by a very person on the the cross climate.
also .There is an interview on Tire rack with a Michelin exec you may be interested in seeing if that would help.

My research has led me to believe that an owner has to reduce the requirements ,for example cost.

Many tire manufacturers cater only to specific requirements as they know they can not cover all bases.

On tire selection there is no one tire that fit all , as to what you expect or want a tire to do for you in your area and usage ,meaning for example if you live in Florida you don't really require a snow tire for my part the cross climate is high on my list I could get a 225 to fit our car then again I may choose another Michelin product with longer tread wear.
One thing i am not going to do is change out our wheels.
MAZDA CX3 Soul red... 215/ 50 /18 OEM TOYO TIRES .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Malks
TIRES
winter / summer

I have visited your I.D. Page ...
I see that you are living in Canada

You just answered your own Question

You require two sets of dedicated tires and wheels

One set for your winter driving with proper snow tires.
and
The other set wheels and tires for summer driving.

Stay safe.

Mazda CX3 A/S tires

·
Registered
106 Posts
Malks
TIRES
winter / summer

I have visited your I.D. Page ...
I see that you are living in Canada

You just answered your own Question

You require two sets of dedicated tires and wheels

One set for your winter driving with proper snow tires.
and
The other set wheels and tires for summer driving.

Stay safe.

Mazda CX3 A/S tires
In some Canadian Provinces you are required by law to have winter tires on your car between November and April. While the Province of Ontario does not currently require it, I have been running four winter/snow rated tires on my cars for the past 20+ years.

I was asking if you had personally tried the Cross Climate tires. The OP was asking for reviews on these tires and I was also wondering if they would be a good replacement for my stock Yokahama summer tires. I'll likely be looking for something next spring as the current OEM tires will need replacement by then. I would like to use a more performance based tire because the CX-3 handles so nicely with the OEM rubber. I'm looking for tires with great grip on wet roads, while offering a smooth ride with little to no road noise. I was thinking the Cross Climate might be that tire. I'm in no hurry and will continue to check tire reviews.

By the way, I am very pleased with the performance of my Michelin winter tires. I'm a skier, so I tend to drive through the absolute worst conditions to get to a ski resort for a powder day. I have never had a problem with the X-Ice, or the previous Michelin winter tires which came with the car when I bought it just over 2 years ago. By the way, if you ever get the opportunity to drive a CX-3 in the snow, do it. They are so much fun and do four-wheel power slides better than any car I've ever owned.

All the best and take care.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In some Canadian Provinces you are required by law to have winter tires on your car between November and April. While the Province of Ontario does not currently require it, I have been running four winter/snow rated tires on my cars for the past 20+ years.

I was asking if you had personally tried the Cross Climate tires. The OP was asking for reviews on these tires and I was also wondering if they would be a good replacement for my stock Yokahama summer tires. I'll likely be looking for something next spring as the current OEM tires will need replacement by then. I would like to use a more performance based tire because the CX-3 handles so nicely with the OEM rubber. I'm looking for tires with great grip on wet roads, while offering a smooth ride with little to no road noise. I was thinking the Cross Climate might be that tire. I'm in no hurry and will continue to check tire reviews.

By the way, I am very pleased with the performance of my Michelin winter tires. I'm a skier, so I tend to drive through the absolute worst conditions to get to a ski resort for a powder day. I have never had a problem with the X-Ice, or the previous Michelin winter tires which came with the car when I bought it just over 2 years ago. By the way, if you ever get the opportunity to drive a CX-3 in the snow, do it. They are so much fun and do four-wheel power slides better than any car I've ever owned.

All the best and take care.
Malks
WINTER TIRES

Good morning.
I see that you are a fan of Michelin tires which I think may be I mention is most likely among one of the better car tire manufacturers .
Many people buy tires on price , may be their practice is the two for the price on one at half tire wear, that is not the best way to go ,they deserve much better
I will eventually wind up with Michelin tires my landed cost with shipping and insurance and customs duty will be twice your off the shelf cost .
I am still doing research on other Michelin tires those with 4 rain grooves like the Pilot Sport and the Premier A/S that if they fit on may 18 '"7 " rims
With the Contacts 2 ,I may have to go to 225 with say 50 or 55 % profile
I don't care for thin profile tires as we have many pot holes here plus" I am old school".
Yesterday on my OEM . TOYO tires 215x 50 x18 I jacked up my tire pressure to 38 F and 34 R the ride noise increased even on good roasd, the steering was light, the car ranged further with foot of the gas as I avoid using brakes. I did not like that response so I dropped the pressure back to 36 F and 32 R for one person .
The big problem here are the road are getting very hot that escalates tire pressure
I will now as summer is here have to verify hot tire pressure.
Yesterday I did a post on potholes dealing with those canyons the only two best answers are avoid the holes and slow down.
You have much knowledge to share on tires as there new drivers and cars out there every day that may need it.
I would not let a politician tell me what tires to invest in if one province says winter tires they all should .
Malks it all about safety as being caught out in a blizzard
I mast say that i am very pleased with my CX3 which is a planned down size from our Jeep patriot 2.r ltr engine with a C.V.T. gear box and higher tax bracket.
buying tires is not the same as shooting fish in a barrel there are hundreds of options.

Mazda CX3 soul red

·
Registered
106 Posts
Malks
WINTER TIRES

I would not let a politician tell me what tires to invest in if one province says winter tires they all should .
Malks it all about safety as being caught out in a blizzard.
The politicians don’t tell you what brand of winter tire to buy but do require whatever brand you choose they must be winter rated with the snowflake symbol. Some Provinces have worse winters and snow tires can be a life saver. Other Provinces have less harsh winters or their drivers don’t venture outside of the urban areas where snow removal is better. These laws were brought in after years of research that proved there are fewer accidents over the winter with vehicles using snow tires. Some people simply need to be protected from themselves and have rules made to protect the rest of us from them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My posts are not easy to read, neither were the intend to be , some times people find them selves having to read my contribution over.

Then again, i do not care to write in a manner which would or could be perceived as vague ! using the words "some " or" may be "
being of an unknown quantity comes to mind. never the less i do to keep the pease ,i do just that !

Would I be correct in defining a blizzard as an intense weather system on the move through say , the provinces ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
A blizzard is an intense snow storm, think really bad thunderstorm without the thunder and snow instead of rain. There is often with zero visibility, also known as white-outs and the snow can accumulate at a rate of a foot or more in less than an hour. They travel along a frontal line like other storms and move across the Province. However, Ontario is such a large Province that the weather is vastly different from one end to the other.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Malks
Thanks for that . however we have to watch that we do not get off topic
Ok! back to tires Your tire requirements are some what different from mine as i am living in a semi tropical climate.
Please email me so i can send you a video on the Cross contact 2
I am confident you will once and for all get an good answer from a knowledgeable independent to your original question,.
[email protected]
By the way I have 4 tire pressure gauges all of which give different readings ,how it that ! for a bit of bad luck.
Donald
CX3 Soul red
Bermuda

·
Registered
65 Posts
Malks
Tire guages
i will go to several gas stations and compare tire pressure ratings.
I went on line to see what is available in pressure gages some have an error of +/- 2%
I destroyed a tire pencil gage, the internals are a spring and a plunger bladder and only worth what you pay for it .
Have you give cinsideration to the nearest available size of the crosscontact 2 and the stock O.E.M. tire ?
Usually tire diameter is that state when the tire is on the shelf and not the same when fitted to the vehicle, all being equal the difference remains just that, if the measured pressures are identical when fitted .
CX3
BERMUDA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts