Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mazda has shown off its Koeru crossover concept at the 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show. It "offers sporty yet delightfully refined styling and driving performance," according to the Japanese automaker. The concept uses the Kodo Soul of Motion design language and previews a coupe version of the existing CX-5 crossover. It's possible that Mazda may name this new coupe version the CX-4.

The concept rides on a 106.3-inch wheelbase and measures 181.1-inches long, 74.8-inches wide and 59.1-inches tall. It features the company’s i-Activsense advanced safety technologies that are designed to help prevent or reduce the damage resulting from an accident. It also shows off the company’s new-generation car-connectivity system, Mazda Connect, aimed to support safe driving and driver concentration with its unique human machine interface (HMI) concept called the Heads-Up Cockpit concept.

Mazda Previews Future Crossover with Koeru Concept

·
Registered
195 Posts
The rims look great and the front headlights looks very aggressive. My worry is the lack of trunk space because it looks tiny if you take into account where the rear passenger seats end. Other than that the koeru is a great looking SUV overall.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've really liked the looks of this. I'd been saying that my ideal vehicle would probably be a lifted Mazda3 with AWD and basically a CX-4 to sit in between the smaller CX-3 and the larger CX-5. However, the dimensions listed for this concept put it a few inches longer and a couple inches wider than the CX-5, which seems more like a lifted Mazda6 wagon. Still not bad, but my main complaint about the CX-5 was that it was bigger and wider than I was used to and the Mazda3 felt just right. This would probably be too big for me and I don't think it would work for a CX-4 with those dimensions. It could be a CX-6 or revived CX-7 when it comes out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I could see it competing against the recently revealed Jaguar F-Pace.

I was about to say, replace those mazda badges with Jaguar and it will pass as a Jag!

Now we just need to see this coupe style crossover/suv happen. Could be something that pushes Toyota and Honda to do the same.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As the CX-3 is to the 3, this one is to the Mazda 6. Trades performance, packaging and fuel efficiency for better looks and the availability of AWD. Seems Mazda is intent on filling every little nook. Ok with me. At least it won't have to compete with a 6 hatch as the CX-3 has to compete with the 3 hatch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was about to say, replace those mazda badges with Jaguar and it will pass as a Jag!

Now we just need to see this coupe style crossover/suv happen. Could be something that pushes Toyota and Honda to do the same.
Well with the new partnership with Toyota, should Mazda develop one, Toyota might just rebadge it under their line. I just hope they do a better job than the Scion2.

On that note, did you happen to see the Nissan GRIPZ concept? It's like a sharper Juke with scissor doors in the front and suicide doors in the back. It's also using the electric powertrain from the Leaf with a gas generator. Kinda all over the place. Here's the link on it:
Nissan Crossover Concept Gripz the Road Like a Sports Car » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Nissan concept look good, but very much like a concept. Given that the Juke is already on the market though, you can totally see how it would translate to production. it just doesn't strike me as the way to go for Nissan if they are looking to sell volume.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The Nissan concept look good, but very much like a concept. Given that the Juke is already on the market though, you can totally see how it would translate to production. it just doesn't strike me as the way to go for Nissan if they are looking to sell volume.
Right. It's too outlandish. The Koeru, on the other hand, looks like a product that could be brought to market within the next year or two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just am not sure why Nissan is making these vehicles that are more niche in design. They sell but aren't going to sell a huge volume.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The new Infinite Q30 just introduced at Frankfurt Auto Show is similar nicely styled compact SUV.
But apparently based on the Mercedes GLA (with 208HP turbo 4) which is based on the CLA sedan which Consumer Reports trashed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The new Infinite Q30 just introduced at Frankfurt Auto Show is similar nicely styled compact SUV.
But apparently based on the Mercedes GLA (with 208HP turbo 4) which is based on the CLA sedan which Consumer Reports trashed.
When I first saw that, I had to do a double take as the profile looked very Mazda-like. Then I read up more on it and found the same thing about it being based on the Mercedes GLA.

I just find it funny how these are all pretty much "station wagons", but there's such a stigma on that name that they'll call them anything else. Same thing with hatchbacks in the US. I don't really get it. I'm just glad they're starting to make a comeback and am really glad that hot-hatches are a thing now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Who knows, Infiniti might have good luck with that platform, being the brands entry-level model and one that seems to serve a lucrative market, plus it doesn't wear the badge of unreliability and expensive repairs... that is Mercedes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The design I think is quite well done, especially when you compare it to some of their other vehicles. This is the design language that they should spread throughout their lineup. I'm glad that it is more bold, instead of having taken a step back for the production model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts