Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Mazda held a little press preview before the 2014 LA Auto Show gets off to its official start. The press preview saw the official North American reveal of the MX5, as well as an appearance by Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai (making this his first appearance at a North American auto show). The most exciting part of the preview was the reveal of the CX3 crossover.

The press event started off with discussing the new Kodo design language which Mazda is using across its entire lineup. Elements of the design language were explained through two sculptures sitting at either side of the stage. Kodo translates to "soul of motion," and from the way that Mazda execs speak of this new design language it is clear that they are honestly proud of the work that they have done.

The press event then went on to show off and explain the Mazda MX5 Miata. The new Miata also uses the Kodo design language, and as I'm sure you have seen already, it works great for the Miata.

The big reveal came when the Mazda CX3 rolled onto the stage. Kevin Rice, director of design for Mazda Europe, explained the design of the CX3. Being a brand new model, Mazda as able to start with a relative blank slate. The CX3 was made to be agile and nimble; capable of being an urban commuter, or taking you on a weekend adventure. Volume is placed at the back of the vehicle to give the idea of energy about to spring forward. There is also a "twist transition" placed in the center of the vehicle that unites the front and rear of the vehicle. All in all the presentation shows that Mazda puts a lot of emphasis on every detail of the CX3.

The Mazda CX3 reveal is nearer to the end of the video, but feel free to watch the whole thing to hear everything that Mazda has to show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kopN0VykymQ

·
Registered
190 Posts
It seems like every executive wants to be like Steve jobs these days.

I liked watching the part of the video where they really talk about the details of the design. I find the designs more engaging once I hear about what the designers were thinking about when they created it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts