Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

TL;DR Mazda needs a sugar daddy and Toyota needs sex

In the last month both Nissans Charlos Ghosen and FCAs Sergio Marchionne have come out as champions of consolidation within the industry. “Consolidation is going to continue, you are going to see more and more cooperation by carmakers,” said Ghosen just hours before Toyota and Mazda announced they were getting busy.

A "mutually beneficial long-term partnership" as the CEOs put it. Toyota will share hydrogen and hybrid technology with Mazda and in return Mazda will share its new compact car factory in Mexico and their fuel efficient SkyActiv diesel and petrol technology.

But it's not so much the future of the engagement that fascinates, but what led to them finding each other.

In 2010 Ford left Mazda destitute in the wake of the global financial crisis. Having been part of the Motor Company since 1979 Mazda was left in limbo having been dependant on Dearborn for R&D and foreign production networks. Last year 70% of Mazda's annual production originated in Japan, nearly all of those with an internal combustion engine.

Mazda may have a logistical problem, but the brand and its enthusiasts know the quantity exactly. Quite different from Toyota.

Toyota has a desire to get back to building cars that people love. Something they arguably haven't done since the Supra was retired in the early 2000's. Yes we can talk about potential capital tie ups and maximizing existing scale for both parties but that would miss the true crux of this relationship. Mazda needs a sugar daddy and Toyota needs sex. A thoroughly modern relationship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kusrGJARKjE

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good partnership. Mazda has good tech, which leave me surprised Toyota didn't just do it themselves.
Again Toyota wants sex. Everyone knows its no fun by yourself ;) No what Toyota want's to understand is how to make consumers fall in love with your brand, how to create a cult like following like Mazda and BMW both enjoy...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I expect good things to come from this. Despite more recent issues related to Takata airbags and the faulty accelerators from a few years ago, I've been quite happy with the Toyota engineering in my last two Vibes. I'm hoping to see more Mazdas produced in Toyota facilities too. And Toyota really does need to take some lessons on sex appeal. It takes the wrong kind of talent to ugly-up the Mazda 2.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Or a Scion product. They already have the Mazda 2, maybe there's more.
Its sad how Scion took a nice looking 2, beat it with an ugly stick, screwed up the interior, and now wants to sell it to us, especially since the 2 won't be coming here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds like an ideal combination of technologies, at least in terms of fuel economy.
Agreed. Audi has done sinister things with diesel hybrids in endurance racing and I've been long surprised that diesel hybrid isn't a combination more manufacturers turn towards. I think with Europes recent demonization of diesel fuel we may see more in the same vein...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.