Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, nice to be here. Had an ex husband that was a "Master" Mercedes- Benz tech but I was laughed at each time we disagreed with the family's use of winter vs all season tires. He always told me "(we don't need winter tires)". Mind you I had the Grand Cherkee Limited Jeep and he had all his beloved MB 1997 and 1998 and 4 matics for himself and our young adult twins.
In any event, also living in CT and being a night shift hospital RN, I can never call out due to snow. I always read that living in unpredictible NE that winter tires were the way to go. Not so per the Master MB tech! Sadly this was his intro to our divorce re the tire "discussion" so bad vibes even discussing this topic. We divorced after 35 yrs and I ended up buying a brand new 2018 Mazda Sport CX3 AWD Soul Red metallic with black cloth interior, but sadly felt I should be practical with finances and went with the all seasons from the factory figuring I should have just believed the ex re: cars. They were checked and rotated at the 5,000 mark in July but sadly today 12/17/20 I got stuck in our first big storm. Perhaps me the nurse vs the master MB auto tech was right after all?? Now esp with covid, I have to get to the hospital. What should I buy for winter tires? These are factory installed Yokohama all seasons 2018 again not much wear with 5,000 + miles in 2 yrs (and 2 mild winters luckily). I also need to take time to learn my vehicle. My guess maybe my gut was correct...I cannot get stuck esp for work as staff is worn thin. Appreciate advice??? Thx in advance. AMR 馃槉

Registered
Welcome to the CX Forum and thank you for what you do everyday! Your EX was wrong, you were right.

Depending on where you live, how much winter driving you do and how important it is for you to get there, winter tires are a definite must. If you live and drive within a large metropolitan area, a more aggressive all season tire on an AWD vehicle is likely enough. However, if you venture outside that area, or really need to get where you're going every day regardless of the weather, then invest in winter tires mounted on separate rims! I know this poses problems with storage of an extra set of tires, but it makes the seasonal change over very easy.

I have had winter tires for every vehicle I have owned for the past 20+ years and would not even consider driving in the winter without them. I live in a small town north of Toronto Ontario and the winters up here can be brutal. I'm also a skier, so I'll drive through a blizzard to get to fresh powder. When I bought my used CX3 it came with the stock summer Yokahama tires on the 18" GT rims, plus a second set of 17" aluminium rims with winter tires. I had to replace them last winter and went with a set of Michelin X-Ice tires. The original winter tires were also Michelins, but I found the X-Ice tires to be even better.

There are some very good winter tires out there. Over the years I have used a variety and can say that pretty much any winter tire will out-perform an all-season tire on snow and ice. Remember turning and stopping is the same for all vehicles and an AWD is no better at this if the tires can't grip.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and thanks!! I don't live far from my hospital which does involve some metro driving but it seems I am always on for the blizzard and with the prev really big storm here in CT, I still had my jeep Limited Grand Cherokee. We were lucky with the past 2 mild winters (not good for climate change) but the tires seemed OK so I thought I was good. I purchased my lease as I bought the 2018 in Oct 2017 so it is still brand new for me. I never had to worry about this stuff but I am learning now and appreciate you siding with me. (That was actually the disagreement about tires that gave him the argument to the end)!! Kinda sad... So again, much appreciated. I still have 4 Mercedes Benz Winter tires on the rims too which were used one season on my daughters car when she had the used MB 1997. I doubt these would fit but know a forum I could sell these??
I am def going to buy 4. So X-Ice brand...is that a specific type ie Michelin Can I use the same rims?
Also my car batteries are dying and lucky I read the manual about holding the key to the auto start...but is that something I can get from the dealer?
Ehhhh...hate to feel this dumb. Just trying to keep up with Covid...soon to get my vaccine!!! Yay!! Appreciate any help!! The older MB tires are Firestone Winterforce. Of course this was because I insisted the kids have winter tires). Thx again for the reply.
AMW

Registered
Fellow CT resident here, so I totally understand your concern with the weather. Its really awkward to gauge tire requirements here because it comes down to location in the end. Im moving from West Haven to upper eastern CT and the weather is a drastic change. On the coastline/city areas everything is close and relatively quickly plowed and roads treated but in the countryside portion of CT you are left with deep heavy snow and long time before roads actually get cleared up. To make things more awkward we havent had a strong enough winter to even make snow tires a necessity yet. I switched from a noisy heavy duty offroad tire to a set of cooper all season tires mainly because of highway noise and learned my lesson a few days ago trying to drive over 14" unplowed driveway. Regardless the oem tires have to go if you still have them as many owners(myself included) have had cracking issues after 2 years even without much use.

Tire wise: Your main barrier is going to be your wheel size. My 2016 GT came with 18" wheels and I downgraded to 16" just to get a specific offroad tire brand. Some may exist for the 18 but its harder to find one that stays within the same height as oem.

-if money is no object and you can afford to buy a new set of winter tires every other year and swap out the summer set each summer then snow tires is the way to go but you gotta stay on top of swapping the tires out.
-if you do alot of highway driving then offroad tires might be sort of noisy. BFgoodrich ko2's are loudest and falken wildpeaks seem to be the best medium between offroad/allseason
-changing tire types will make the car ride a bit differently and have different noise levels just to keep in mind.

I drove the last couple winters on bf goodrich ko2s and gladly drove over every single snow pile and through every storm for fun and had perfect grip/traction with some careful driving. This year without them I managed to spin out a couple of times when attempting to climb snow piles even with a lift kit on. Personally I am going back to offroad tires especially with the new house as northern CT gets way more snow and cold weather than long island coast. If you need any ideas or help sizing anything feel free to go through and post here.

(Note: by offroad tires I am referring to tires that are deep snow rated and can handle dirt/gravel roads in addition to city driving etc. Coming from a jeep Im sure youve seen a set of mudding tires with crazy tread which are a different category all together even though quite a few jeeps like to use em to look cool offroading.)

Registered
I am def going to buy 4. So X-Ice brand...is that a specific type ie Michelin Can I use the same rims?
Also my car batteries are dying and lucky I read the manual about holding the key to the auto start...but is that something I can get from the dealer?
Yes the X-Ice tire is a winter tire made by Michelin. However, any winter rated tire (ones with the snowflake logo) will be better than an all-season tire. You could look for winter tires that are the same size as your current all season tires and mount them on your existing rims; however, most find it better to buy a set of steel rims and mount their winter tires on those. It is then much easier to change over in the spring and fall and both sets of tires last longer because they are used just half of the year. I usually put my snow tires on right around Halloween and take them off in late April. Yes we occasionally get snow in October and usually a really bad storm in late March or early April!

From the sound of it the battery you mention is the one in the remote. You could get that at the dealer, but they're also available anywhere that sells watch batteries. It's one of those disk style batteries, a CR2025. Check the owners manual for instructions on its replacement. You'll find those under Battery > Replacement > Key Battery Replacement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes you did say X-ice was Michelins. Thx!!
Yes the X-Ice tire is a winter tire made by Michelin. However, any winter rated tire (ones with the snowflake logo) will be better than an all-season tire. You could look for winter tires that are the same size as your current all season tires and mount them on your existing rims; however, most find it better to buy a set of steel rims and mount their winter tires on those. It is then much easier to change over in the spring and fall and both sets of tires last longer because they are used just half of the year. I usually put my snow tires on right around Halloween and take them off in late April. Yes we occasionally get snow in October and usually a really bad storm in late March or early April!

From the sound of it the battery you mention is the one in the remote. You could get that at the dealer, but they're also available anywhere that sells watch batteries. It's one of those disk style batteries, a CR2025. Check the owners manual for instructions on its replacement. You'll find those under Battery > Replacement > Key Battery Replacement.
Thx again. Hopefully easy to change. The manual makes you think you can "explode" the remote if you don't do it correctly. Yes I figure the dealer might be more expensive. I was hoping it was simply like a watch battery. Thx again. I guess I will check out the tire store and get that done sooner than later!! Appreciate the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts