Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda had a great year last year. The best year that it has had since 1994, and that is 20 years ago now!

Mazda announced today that they sold 305,000 cars in the US last year, which includes retail and fleet cars. Strong sellers for Mazda include the Mazda3, which had its second-best December ever, and the Mazda CX-5, which had its best December ever. The Mazda6 also sold more than it has since the year 2007.

Given that Mazda hadn't made a profit in the 5 years preceding 2013, this is really good news.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is good news, as it would seem to give Mazda a better chance of long term survival in the marketplace and thus allow them to continue to offer us sporty attractive alternatives to the major brands.

As the promising CX3 and new Mazda 2 come on line we can hope that position will be further strengthened this year.

Did they make a profit this year?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pretty sure they did make a profit this year. Given what the OP says in his last sentence.

Considering that the CX3 hasn't come out yet, Mazda should be setting itself up for a good 2015 as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Pretty sure they did make a profit this year. Given what the OP says in his last sentence.

Considering that the CX3 hasn't come out yet, Mazda should be setting itself up for a good 2015 as well.
sales of the new mazda 3 have taken off well so far, mazda 2 got/getting refreshed and now they have the new cx3..... they have a really good foundation set for 2015.

if they're not segment volume leaders, they at least will be runner up's

·
Registered
190 Posts
sales of the new mazda 3 have taken off well so far, mazda 2 got/getting refreshed and now they have the new cx3..... they have a really good foundation set for 2015.

if they're not segment volume leaders, they at least will be runner up's
I'm not so sure they will be selling that many of their cars. I think that they will see growth, but Mazda usually gets a relatively small portion of the pie when it comes to market share.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not so sure they will be selling that many of their cars. I think that they will see growth, but Mazda usually gets a relatively small portion of the pie when it comes to market share.
I'm with @CXIII on this one. What makes you think that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
MAzda is constrained by the production capacity, its not that they 'get' a small piece, they earn their sales with excellent product... They have a new tie in with FCA now so I wouldn't exactly be 'shorting' Mazda sales...

·
Registered
83 Posts
MAzda is constrained by the production capacity, its not that they 'get' a small piece, they earn their sales with excellent product... They have a new tie in with FCA now so I wouldn't exactly be 'shorting' Mazda sales...
exactly, that's what it comes down to, earning your spot in the market with a solid product, otherwise there's no real reason for justifying taking it a step further.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So are you guys saying that Mazda has the production capacity to support growing their market share considerably if there is demand?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't think that Mazda's problem will be not being able to keep up with demand. They should be able to produce enough cars to fill demand, and if things go really well than their next move will be to increase production capacity. They can just add more shifts at first, its not like they'd have to open up a whole new factory or something.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hopefully they will, we'll just have to wait and see when the moment of truth arrives

·
Registered
277 Posts
Reality check: For most, the main attraction for this class of SUV is low fuel consumption (for me its handling and fun to drive combined with practicality).
Suddenly the price of gas is cut by half. Add to this the introduction of new competing models and this market niche is suddenly crowded. Just think what effect the introduction of the HRV alone will have on sales of a competing Mazda. Just as the CRV greatly outsells the CX5, better product or not, the HRV will outsell the CX3.
Like the CX5 before it, I'm hopeful the CX3 will do all right, but if introduced a year ago it would have done much better. At least now, after the new model buzz dies down a couple of months after introduction, you will not have any trouble making a deal.
No need for new factories.

This is not a critique of Mazda for being late to the party. Market conditions change rapidly and lead time for development is long even for companies with a lot more resources. Also, they have had a lot of irons in the fire with recent redesigns of most of their product line. Given their situation, they are really hustling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
^ He has it right on the ball.

Good fuel economy is a good motivator for going for a vehicle like this. Even better that it's MPG numbers aren't too far off from some compact sedans...so you get all the space you want with the fuel economy that won't run your wallet dry.

·
Registered
190 Posts
MPG is definitely a draw, but i also think that people like to feel a bit higher up off the ground and enjoy having a vehicle that is more practical than most sedans. it is a competitive segment, but i think that Mazda has on e of the nicer products. I think it matters more how good your product is than how late you come to the segment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder if Mazda will come out with some type of halo car that can sit at the top of their lineup. Is that something that would make sense for Mazda or do you think they wouldn't be able to compete in that segment?

·
Registered
277 Posts
You mean Like the Mazda Millenia? 929? Don't believe they are anxious to try that again. Near the end they were being offered with huge discounts. Mazda lost a ton of money. 929 was pretty nice car. Just slow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts