Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know who makes the oil for Mazda?

My OM in the oil section shows the Castrol label so I was thinking that I would get Castrol 0w20 instead, but I'm not a big Castrol fan. I prefer using Pennzoil myself or Amsoil.

Some car manufacturers have a specific spec for the oil that is to be used in their engines. For example for my Z06 it takes 5W30 synthetic oil meeting GM spec 4718M and comes factory filled with Mobil 1 oil which meets that spec. A 5W30 synthetic oil that doesn't show as meeting the GM spec would void the warranty should something happen to the engine and they found out the wrong oil was used even if it is the same weight as what they specify.

The Shelby takes 5W50 synthetic oil meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C931-C. I use the Amsoil oil for this car.

Does Mazda have a specific spec for the 0W20 oil that they specify for the CX-3? Instead of Castrol I might go with Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra 0W20 oil if there is no specific specification for the car from Mazda.

Tony

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anchorman? Snoogie? DJ9999?

One of our shamen has, or has access to, the answer?

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is no real specific oil/oil brand to follow so long as its full 0W20 synthetic oil. So go and use Castrol or Amsoil, or Pensoil, as long as its fully synthetic and 0W20 to keep withing Mazda's operating recommendations. We are not quiet BMW/Audi strict with oil "yet" lol. We use Castrol at our dealership but others use mobile and so on. So have at whatever brand you want as long as its great quality and 0W20.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I had a long post with tons of information but, because I put a link in it, it's been tossed into the queue for moderator approval. Sorry, I'll try to be a little less helpful next time so my words actually show up.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had a long post with tons of information but, because I put a link in it, it's been tossed into the queue for moderator approval. Sorry, I'll try to be a little less helpful next time so my words actually show up.
No, no, no ... don't do that! Keep those helpful links a coming!
We can wait! :)

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
No, no, no ... don't do that! Keep those helpful links a coming!
We can wait! :)
As far as I can tell, my post is in limbo. No idea how long it will take to be approved.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some cx3's in different parts of the world will use different weight oils. In Mexico they use 5w30. Check your manual to see what mazda recommends in your area of the world for your car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
According to the Mazda European Owner's Manual, for the 2 litre petrol engine in Europe it recommends either :-

Mazda Original Oil Supra 0W-20 for temps down to -30 Deg C approx

or

Mazda Original Oil Ultra 5W-30 for temps down to -25 Deg C approx

Ref page 6-23 for details

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought 5 litres of the OE Genuine 0W20 the other day and will use it for the first oil change (if I ever get around to it with the crappy wet weather we are getting here in Toronto).

Since it is US Thanksgiving weekend some stores in my area started their black friday sale early and one place was selling 5L jugs of Castrol Edge 0W20 for $26.00 (usually priced at like $56.00 for 5L jug). I bought 4 jugs so it looks like I'm good for a while AFA oil changes go. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mazda High Moly oil is a pretty special product according to research done by the good folks at BITOG. It is made by Idemitsu (a major Japanese supplier) with a fantastically high molybdenum loading and perhaps the highest Viscosity Index of any product on the market. These are good things and this oil is highly regarded. However...

With the owner's manual noting that 5W-30 is specified for cars in Mexico, Mazda is telling you that the engine doesn't mind various brands and weights of oil. This fact of life has been proven over and over again at BITOG. The main thing is as always, make sure you've got some kind of oil on the dipstick.

Bottom line? I believe Mazda is telling us to use a stout oil if reducing weight to 0W-20. It goes hand -in-hand with a shorter OCI. This is a DI engine and those have been proven to allow some level of fuel dilution. So, take a look at your oil once in a while. Believe your senses....if the oil turns black prematurely and is smelling of gasoline, change it out and maybe think about bumping up to 5W-30.

Oh and one other thing, Mazda oil is only distributed to its dealers and list price is $8.30. If your dealer won't discount, check out Med Center Mazda in Alabama. Not only do they discount all Mazda OE parts, they have some nifty maintenance packages such as oil filters with washers and a cap wrench. Good stuff that saves a lot of time. Orders over $100 are shipped free so with that and no sales tax, your cost is hard to beat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bottom line? I believe Mazda is telling us to use a stout oil if reducing weight to 0W-20. It goes hand -in-hand with a shorter OCI. This is a DI engine and those have been proven to allow some level of fuel dilution. So, take a look at your oil once in a while. Believe your senses....if the oil turns black prematurely and is smelling of gasoline, change it out and maybe think about bumping up to 5W-30.
Presumably 5W-30 would kill the warranty?

Why DO they recommend it in areas outside the US? Anyone know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone do there own oil changes ? Would it affect warranty as long as the correct oil/filter is used with receipts . I don't really trust the drive thru oil change places and don't want to pay dealership prices either , especially as the OCI is so short and I want to keep warranty .

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Presumably 5W-30 would kill the warranty?

Why DO they recommend it in areas outside the US? Anyone know?
The different oil recommendations are likely due to fuel economy targets. Mazda did the same thing with the RX-8.

I doubt 5w-30 would void the warranty in the US if it met the requirements (ILSAC, API Service SM or newer). They would have to prove that the different viscosity caused whatever failure was reported and, since they recommend 5w-30 elsewhere in the world for the same exact engine, they'd have a hard time proving that. That doesn't mean you wouldn't have a fight on your hands but it's one you should be able to win if Mazda push the issue.

Anyone do there own oil changes ? Would it affect warranty as long as the correct oil/filter is used with receipts . I don't really trust the drive thru oil change places and don't want to pay dealership prices either , especially as the OCI is so short and I want to keep warranty .
I don't know about Canada, but in the US they can't void your warranty for doing your own oil changes so long as you have evidence that the work was done according to the appropriate schedule (records and receipts).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No issue here in Canada. You can do your own oil changes and you are good AFA warranty is concerned.

Just save your receipts for the parts you buy (oil and filter) and mileage you did the change. I would suggest you purchase at the very least the OE oil filter then your oil of choice ALA it's a synthetic 0W20 (or 5W30 in the other parts of the world) for your change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts