Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the CX-3 will share a platform with the Mazda 2 and with that it's engines, either a 1.3-liter gasoline engine or a 1.5-liter diesel.

Which one of these engines or any others are you expecting the CX-3 to come with?

·
Registered
168 Posts
None other realistically. Especially not in the US market. if Mazda 2 has already homologated drivetrains for sale in the US market I do not expect the CX3 to go beyond that, simply from a cost standpoint its essentially a 2 for 1 deal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that might be the case and you're right, it makes sense to stick to those engine options as anything more will just be excessive.

Out of these two engine options, which would you go for?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's official, the North American CX-3 will be coming with a 2.0L gasoline engine:

• For North America, the CX-3 will use the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine which delivers linear, powerful driving performance and excellent real-world fuel economy.
  • The CX-3 features an automatic transmission as standard equipment on all trim levels. The SKYACTIV-DRIVE six-speed automatic transmission achieves excellent fuel economy, a direct feel similar to that of a manual transmission, and smooth and powerful acceleration.
  • The new-generation AWD system employing an active torque control coupling first used on the Mazda CX-5 is available to achieve excellent drivability and vehicle stability. It employs a world’s first* front wheel slip warning detection system, which employs sensor signals to accurately monitor the driver’s intentions and constantly changing driving conditions. In addition, the CX-3 uses a newly developed power take-off and rear differential that is compact and light in weight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is also the same 2.0L engine in the all-new Mazda 3, specifications on it in the Mazda 3 sedan are as follows. Expect them to be close to this in the Mazda CX-3:

*155*hp SKYACTIV*G 2.0L 4*cylinder engine with a choice of SKYACTIV*MT 6*speed manual or SKYACTIV*Drive 6*speed automatic transmission (i models)

MPG/Gas Mileage:
  • * 29/40 mpg (SKYACTIV*G 2.0L MT)
  • * 30/40 mpg (SKYACTIV*G 2.0L AT)

• 155 hp @ 6000 rpm
  • 150 lb*ft @ 4000 rpm
  • Redline: 6800 rpm
  • Displacement: 1998

Transmission Options:
  • Manual Transmission: SKYACTIV*MT 6*speed overdrive
  • Automatic Transmisson: SKYACTIV*Drive 6*speed electronically controlled automatic with manual*shift mode

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is also the same 2.0L engine in the all-new Mazda 3, specifications on it in the Mazda 3 sedan are as follows. Expect them to be close to this in the Mazda CX-3:

*155*hp SKYACTIV*G 2.0L 4*cylinder engine with a choice of SKYACTIV*MT 6*speed manual or SKYACTIV*Drive 6*speed automatic transmission (i models)

MPG/Gas Mileage:
  • * 29/40 mpg (SKYACTIV*G 2.0L MT)
  • * 30/40 mpg (SKYACTIV*G 2.0L AT)

• 155 hp @ 6000 rpm
  • 150 lb*ft @ 4000 rpm
  • Redline: 6800 rpm
  • Displacement: 1998

Transmission Options:
  • Manual Transmission: SKYACTIV*MT 6*speed overdrive
  • Automatic Transmisson: SKYACTIV*Drive 6*speed electronically controlled automatic with manual*shift mode
wow great information.
thanks for posting all of this.
it helps that the new mazda 3 has this engine already

·
Registered
168 Posts
peak power, 6000, red line 6800.. Be prepared to ring its neck not just for performance, but for pulling out of parking spaces...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The powerband is not too impressive but then again I dont need it the performance. Although the torque on it is decent should be enough to pullout of parking spaces..fast!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you were going for a super powerful little crossover this is not the way to go. I don't think it will be quite as bad as you are saying though. 155 hp should be enough to get you out of a parking spot without too much trouble I'd say.

On the bright side, fuel efficiency seems pretty good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I will be interested in seeing is what it's power band is like with a base line dyno run, just to see what sort of power it will be making within the RPM ranges we're likely to frequent: regular city stop & go driving, overtaking/passing vehicles, etc

·
Registered
149 Posts
What I will be interested in seeing is what it's power band is like with a base line dyno run, just to see what sort of power it will be making within the RPM ranges we're likely to frequent: regular city stop & go driving, overtaking/passing vehicles, etc
Hopefully they have optimized the engine to get good power in those lower RPM areas. It would be pretty stupid if they made it get max power once it was at the top end of the RPM meter. Most people will be driving this car in city traffic I would say.

We will probably have to wait a while before we get a dyno chart for the CX-3 though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hopefully they have optimized the engine to get good power in those lower RPM areas. It would be pretty stupid if they made it get max power once it was at the top end of the RPM meter. Most people will be driving this car in city traffic I would say.

We will probably have to wait a while before we get a dyno chart for the CX-3 though.
Most small displacement I4's make their power at the top of the Rev band, its the nature of inline 4's...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Exactly, higher rev's is where they really make their power.
One of the reasons why I like some 4 cylinder turbo engines as they seem to have more torque and power in the lower RPM range thanks to the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts