Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AWD question: Does anybody know if there is any indication on the dash board when the car engages the AWD system? I don't see any reference to it in the manual.

Thanks,

J (Charlotte, NC, USA)

·
Registered
893 Posts
No I don't believe there is. That might become quite annoying if something lit up every time it engages the AWD system for a moment.

There should only be an indicator if the AWD system fails if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
872 Posts
There is not. As said by greaseman85, a light would be annoying. These intelligent AWD systems are often going back and fourth between AWD and FWD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Thanks! I looked at the BMW X1 and the Subaru Crosstrek when I bought my CX-3 and I remember the Subaru had an indicator that the rear wheels had engaged but I don't think the X1 did.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
OK Thanks! I looked at the BMW X1 and the Subaru Crosstrek when I bought my CX-3 and I remember the Subaru had an indicator that the rear wheels had engaged but I don't think the X1 did.
The Subaru must have had an agricultural diff lock to have an "on/off" light. The CX-3 couldn't because it has a completely variable AWD. It would have to have a fader!

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Subaru's (all) have full time AWD. The only time mine ever lit up was when I had to pull the fuse that disabled the AWD system when I had to drive with the dinky little spare wheel after a blowout. Driving with AWD with the spare could do serious damage. The only way to handle it is to make sure the spare is on one of the rear wheels and that the FWD light is lit up after the fuse is pulled.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had an Acura MDX with the SH-AWD indicator available in the center message area between the speedometer and tachometer. The first week I had the car, I had it on all the time, and then I got tired of it, and just switched it off to a blank screen for the balance of the seven years I owned it.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I don't know if they changed it in the last 10-ish years but automagic Subarus were equipped with an electro-mechanical (electro-hydraulic?) clutch pack between the front and rear axles. Manual transmission Subies got viscous limited slip system in the middle. Except for the STi and Spec.B models... I don't know what they got but I'm guessing it's more advanced than a VLSD. I doubt a VLSD would have an activation light but a clutch-type system could.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetrical_All_Wheel_Drive

My '09 Infiniti G37x had an AWD light that would turn on when I'd lift a tire going up the parking garage ramp at my local grocery store (tight right-hander with a 10-20° grade). I never looked at the dash very often when hooning around in the snow. Actually, that was a really fun AWD system: it was RWD until slippage but the harder you cornered, the LESS power is sent to the front. Lots of RWD, tail-out character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATTESA#ATTESA_E-TS

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife's Pathfinder has an option to display the drive percentage split between the front and rear. Similar to skyking, I used it a few times when I was driving it, but I soon lost interest in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awd

The Subaru's (all) have full time AWD. The only time mine ever lit up was when I had to pull the fuse that disabled the AWD system when I had to drive with the dinky little spare wheel after a blowout. Driving with AWD with the spare could do serious damage. The only way to handle it is to make sure the spare is on one of the rear wheels and that the FWD light is lit up after the fuse is pulled.
It's possible the salesman was blowing smoke but he made a point of saying ...see here in the center LCD display that the rear wheels are engaging. They turned green I think.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does the CX3 have a similar way to disable the AWD?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts