Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to order a new CX-3 this weekend.

I'm bummed that Carplay/Android Auto will not be available.

I've never played with Mazda Connect. I've got a '11 Mini with Mini (BMW) Connected, and I've used various iterations of Ford's Sync. I've looked at the HRV and was thoroughly disappointed in Honda's ICE offering. Likewise, Toyota ICE is not great.

How is Mazda Connected?

Is it simple and intuitive?

Does it function well?

Are there an iOS/Android apps and are they useful?

Is it fast and responsive?

Is there voice control and does it work well?

How is the navigation?

Thanks, Chapin

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I linked my iPhone with the system, it moved over all the phone contacts information and also allowed it to connect to my iPhone music stored on it. The only thing I noticed is that I had to turn the volume up higher in the car to be able to hear it. Pushing the arrows on the steering wheel does change the selection to the next song on my iPhone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am using my Note 4 as the phone on mine, and I have an ipod in the glove box. I find it switches back and forth with no issue. When changing songs on my iPod with the steering wheel it has no hesitation. I am overall liking the system, do not have the nav option (didn't want to spend the money) but so far so good!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Point by point:

How is Mazda Connected?
It's not. There used to be a wi-fi client so that you could tether the car to a phone in hotspot mode but the've disabled this feature in the latest releases. The aim was to use online services such as Pandora or Aha, both options still available in the Infotainment with no way now to use it, but those services are not available outside of the USA for copyright reasons. The "Mazda Connect" service was to add things like gas prices, traffic and weather to the Nav, but Mazda has discontinued this service, which is probably why they disabled the wi-fi. You can still re-enable it by doing an SSH to though the USB port if you feel semi-adventurous (check http://www.mazda3hacks.com).

Is it simple and intuitive? Yes, very.

Does it function well? Is it fast and responsive?
Generally yes. You have to give it time to boot once the car is started, but afterwards it's pretty solid. Some shortcomings here and there, I hate that the USB key source resets and does not start at the last play position for example, but overall it is easy and user friendly.

No Apple or Android apps per say yet, this will have to wait for CarPlay or Android Auto when (if) they come out with it. In the meantime, the bluetooth integration of cellular phones is decent, with some limitations based on phone models. Those limitations are listed here: Mazda Connect

Is there voice control and does it work well?

So far, for the commands I've tried, the recognition is good. I guess it depends on your accent :) I call her Miri, Mazda's version of Siri :D

How is the navigation?

It's ok, as good as you could expect from static Navteq maps. I like that you can update them yourself via the SD card and the Mazda Toolbox software (free updates for 3 years), but I'm a big fan of Google Maps, and the fact that the traffic maps are discontinued now that wi-fi is officially off, it lacks that little humph that Google Map or even Garmin devices have had for years.

Thanks, Chapin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Point by point:

How is Mazda Connected?
It's not. There used to be a wi-fi client so that you could tether the car to a phone in hotspot mode but the've disabled this feature in the latest releases.
I, for one, am glad they did this. Having a WiFi hotspot in the car is simply another avenue of attack on the car, esp. if the WPA passwd is some default or something easily guessable (Z00mZ00m anyone?). If any other in-car devices are connected via WiFi, that connection can be easily interrupted as well. I don't even know when I'd use it. Now that I think of it, putting in some ridiculously long password and limiting it's access somehow would be kinda cool if it broadcasts its SSID. Then w/o even connecting to the WiFi system, I could use Tasker on my phone to go into "Car Mode" whenever it is within range of the WiFi network and I'm moving at more than 10mph.

The aim was to use online services such as Pandora or Aha, both options still available in the Infotainment with no way now to use it, but those services are not available outside of the USA for copyright reasons. The "Mazda Connect" service was to add things like gas prices, traffic and weather to the Nav, but Mazda has discontinued this service, which is probably why they disabled the wi-fi.
My understanding is that Pandora and Aha don't use the WiFi at all. None of the apps really do. Pandora and Wifi actually use the data connection in your phone. The car could interface with your phone via WiFi or USB. USB is going to be a more reliable connection, and can charge your battery rather than drain it. USB, though physically tethered, is the better option. The way it works is you listen to Pandora on your phone. You use your phone's data connections and everything. Then you tether your phone to the Connect system. It pulls the audio into the car's stereo system, and the App in the car makes calls to the software on the phone to change stations, etc. IOW, for actual connectivity to the world outside the car, the Connect system uses your phone's data connection, unless I am somehow mistaken?

Traffic and weather usually come into the car via a longer range network than WiFi. Typically that type of data comes in via the cellular network or a sat. connection, or via GPS. THis makes me wonder why they would discontinue this service?

No Apple or Android apps per say yet, this will have to wait for CarPlay or Android Auto when (if) they come out with it.
There aren't any native apps. THis is the thing. If they go with CarPlay they all but shut out the Android people. If they go with Android Auto they all but shut out the iPhone people. OpenCar allows HTML5 apps to essentially remotely control certain apps on your phone, no matter what brand. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are for the app on your phone in order to remotely control them through the dash, but if you are savvy enough you can write and upload such an app. Not the same as having a full-fledged native app though. It would be nice if the system supported MHL (so you can mirror your android or iPhone screen on the dash) and mirrorlink (so the touch screen can actually remotely control the phone) and all those problems will be agnostic-ly solved. Supposedly Hondas next gen in-car system supports this (it's available in every Honda market EXCEPT the USA - facepalm!).

How is the navigation?

It's ok, as good as you could expect from static Navteq maps. I like that you can update them yourself via the SD card and the Mazda Toolbox software (free updates for 3 years), but I'm a big fan of Google Maps, and the fact that the traffic maps are discontinued now that wi-fi is officially off, it lacks that little humph that Google Map or even Garmin devices have had for years.
Yeah, Mazda makes it so easy to upgrade! When I was looking at the Lexus CT200h a while back, they wanted $150 for the upgrade. And the upgrade was done via a cryptographically signed USB dongle that only the dealers had. I believe that even if you are out of the free upgrades time period the current cost of system upgrades is $15 and that's it.

Good to know that the maps are decent. I prefer Google Maps (and really Waze) as well. THe nice thing is that the little cubby below the stereo and A/C, in front of the gear shift, is just about the perfect size to put a smart phone with it's screen facing you and convenient for glancing at those maps. I was able to put my Note Edge in there and the fit was great. SO then I get 2 screens in the car. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bluetooth and "greyed out" menu items

So I've had my CX3 now for one week. Overall, I am very happy with it. Today, however, for the first time I had issues with Mazda Connect.

Specifically, the Bluetooth connection with my phone did no longer work. I attempted to connect manually: no success. Then I tried to "delete the pairing" (in order to attempt a new pairing), but that didn't work either. The pairing could not be deleted. I then attempted to "delete all pairings". That didn't work either. Finally, I attempted to "restore to factory settings", but that item was greyed out (and could not be selected).

Finally, I just walked away and came back a few hours later. I was then able to work with the bluetooth again. I assume that the Mazda Connect software rebooted itself when I came back and the "hung" bluetooth process got killed and restarted.

This leaves me with a few questions:

1) Has anybody experienced this before or am I the only one?

2) Is there a way to reboot Mazda Connect without "walking away for a few hours"? :confused:

3) Is there a way to access the "greyed out" menu items? (There are quite a few of these and I am wondering how to access those.)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
70 Posts
This leaves me with a few questions:

1) Has anybody experienced this before or am I the only one?

2) Is there a way to reboot Mazda Connect without "walking away for a few hours"? :confused:

3) Is there a way to access the "greyed out" menu items? (There are quite a few of these and I am wondering how to access those.)

Thanks for the help
1. Not "exactly" the same symptoms but yet, once or twice something similar has happened.

2. The CMU runs on battery for a while after you shut the car off. This is so it doesn't have to reboot when you just turn it off then back on. This is why your "stuck" condition remained after you quickly turned it off but was ok after a few hours. In fact, had you come back 10 minutes later you would have had the same successful results.

In order to reboot your CMU manually and force it to redo it's Bluetooth pairing, press and hold Mute + Nav + Back for 10 seconds. You should see the screen go black then start loading with the Mazda logo.

3. I'm betting you have an iPhone? Depending on the phone vendor, certain functions are available and some not. It often depends on the phone manufacturor and how much they want to let 3rd parties use their internal functions. From what I hear, Apple is more restrictive than Android. You can check the compatibility of your phone and the features at this address:

Mazda Connect

Hope this helps.

- Ben

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Mine has dumped the sound twice now. There is a fizz and the sound goes off but the sound from the phone and nav must have their own amp and still work. The dealer got it working last time but I tried the above hard reset quoted by ccie and got it back - thanks. I thought it was a dry joint in the Bose amp at first but if it was the reset that got it back, it must be software. I will see if it does it again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
How do you add more apps to Mazda Connect? Or is that even possible to do? I see in one of the youtube commercials anchorman posted in another thread the CX-3 even had a lot more apps than just pandora, stitcher and aha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Phone problem
Hallo my Moto G 4 is paired with cx-3
I can listen to music via Bluetooth, and tekst message is showm on the 7" screen
Under Bluetooth settings the phone is set for telefon and musik

However, if some one call me the phone just rings sd normal and not via hans free, Speakers or Microphone

Help ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts