Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't make a decision: Mazda 3 S or VW GTI? Do I go with the Mazda's better reliability, fuel economy, regular gas and modern interior or the GTI's quicker acceleration, better handling and classic design? Car will be used as a daily driver of fairly low mile trips in the traffic clogged and anti-car region of Seattle area.
Appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you read what you

Can't make a decision: Mazda 3 S or VW GTI? Do I go with the Mazda's better reliability, fuel economy, regular gas and modern interior or the GTI's quicker acceleration, better handling and classic design? Car will be used as a daily driver of fairly low mile trips in the traffic clogged and anti-car region of Seattle area.
Thanks!
have written, you will have the decision made for yourself, Mazda reliability, etc being used in a Clogged City area, totally against the VW which may be quicker and have better handling, yet not being able to use it so why go that way.

Mazda more comfort, etc. drive both many times and see what is going to suit you best, look at standard features of both, what car has the more room if needed, the list goes on, and on.

In the end its your decision and what your going to be happy with and be happy for years to come.

Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Thanks!
Have you test driven either?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree that the 3 seems to fit what you described better. Personally though I'd go for the GTI for a few reasons. I never liked the overall design and look of the 3 even if the new one has a better interior than the GTI. The GTI has more passenger/cargo capacity as well I believe, which can be a plus from time to time. Also a HUGE plus for me, it has a modern infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If it's mostly short commutes, that's not great for a turbo long-term and those are expensive to repair when they crap out. And being stuck in traffic routinely isn't going to do a clutch any favors if equipped with a manual transmission (does GTI even have an automatic as an option?). I assume the GTI requires premium gas, too, which is a big negative around here in the midwest where 91-93 octane premium costs ~30% more per gallon the regular 87 octane that the Mazda will run. I don't know what gas prices are like in Seattle, though. Could be very different than around here.

As far as practicality.... Eh, the GTI might have an edge over the 3, but it's not by a lot. I like the styling and economy of the 3 better, but obviously the performance of the GTI wins in a race. I just dislike VW's in general, but that's just my own preference, obviously.

It's not really for us to decide here. You have to decide which factors are most important to you and base your choice on that. Objectively, though, I think the Mazda is a better/smarter fit given your use case you've presented unless you don't care about costs of operation and maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts