Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
I believe there is some pent up anticipation for the CX3 in SE Asia as its not released in all markets. I recently took a Thai partner on site tours and he immediately noted that he's anticipating its in-market arrival to replace his aging Camry - excited to check our my CX3. I don't think we'll see Thai-built CX3's in North America but this segment as great potential in SE Asian markets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe there is some pent up anticipation for the CX3 in SE Asia as its not released in all markets. I recently took a Thai partner on site tours and he immediately noted that he's anticipating its in-market arrival to replace his aging Camry - excited to check our my CX3. I don't think we'll see Thai-built CX3's in North America but this segment as great potential in SE Asian markets.
So what you are saying is that CX-3 will by bult on Thai for SE-Asia Markets..

·
Registered
872 Posts
So what you are saying is that CX-3 will by bult on Thai for SE-Asia Markets..
That is the most likely scenario. I've heard this plant also produces sky active components. Those parts may make their way into vehicles delivered to the rest of the world but doubtful that they will do full vehicle assembly of models like the CX3 for the rest of the world.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Doesn't Thailand do a lot of manufacturing these days, especially motorcycles?
It does. For example a large proportion of the vehicles sold in Australia from many Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota, Nissan) and US/European (Ford, GM (Holden)) manufacturers is done in Thailand. Some it is complete manufacture and for others it is assembly of CKD kits.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyway to tell by vin/other method the country of origin?
Auto Expert posted a good video on youtube about this but it looks like it has been removed.

I always thought there was, however this video stated that they could actually report the residence on the ultimate holding company. I.e if you buy a VW Polo made in South Africa, but the VIN will show Germany.

Edit clarification: Chose the Polo example because I knew it was made in SA, not to sure what the cars VIN actually states.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We used to produce some pretty bad cars here in England but when a Jap car builder sets up in another country, they literally lift a Jap factory including all the very top notch equipment and train the workers to assemble cars in exactly the same way as they would at home. Now we build Toyotas and Nissans and export them all over Europe. Toyota build cars all over the world and while I'm not saying there are no model to model technical issues (they get sorted out locally as required) there are no issues regarding geographical location.

British cars were smaller versions of American cars. Badly made and unreliable. No doubt they had a place in history if only how not to make cars but if everyone has their own, we owe modern reliable cars to the masters of mass production, whether it be TVs, cameras or cars, the Japs cannot be beaten - doesn't matter where on the planet the factory is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me it's the moral issue of a company from a developed nation choosing to manufacture in one that is not to take advantage of poor labour laws and regulations to save money.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me it's the moral issue of a company from a developed nation choosing to manufacture in one that is not to take advantage of poor labour laws and regulations to save money.
Toyota and Mazda sell huge amounts of cars to the area they call "The Pacific Rim".

You could be right though.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Manufactures sell a ton of cars in SE Asia. Its very common these days to manufacture closer to point of use. US brands, Japanese and Euro brands all do this with manufacturing/assembly plants in South America, South Africa etc. - well beyond their home countries.

Im more bothered when a company like Ford moves to Mexico or Canada to skirt US tax and labor laws. That is shady. What Mazads doing with their Thailand plant is just efficiency and to meet capacity demands.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My parents live in hong kong and own a Honda Accord made in China, (honda has plants there.) Let me say, for damn certain, it was not the same as the honda accords made in Japan. Obviously one vehicle cannot be representative of all, but I do believe that Japanese build stuff better. It is in their culture to give 110% in the workplace, which has equated to superb manufacturing capabilities and top notch Quality Control.

They might be able to train workers in another country with technical skills, but you cannot teach the population work ethic over (at least short term)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Chinese made model either. The Accord in China has been specially tweaked for that market so its different than what the ROW gets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts