Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some help in changing the map lights or dome lights. I can't figure out how to open the console to change the lights.

I've done the rear licence plate lights, the trunk light and the rear seating lights. But I can't seem to figure out how to change the front ones. I don't want to break anything.

Has anyone done this yet?

Tia

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think there would be a slight indent for you to slide a small flat head screwdriver in to pop out the plastic ?

Post a pic and maybe we can help a bit more.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
If you pm me your email address I will send you some pdf’s.

The forum has a 20kb upload limit which is useless.

Reactions: YaoShi

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I pm'ed you as well anchorman. Was hoping you could help me out with accessing the dome light. Just got my new LEDs in the mail today.
Definitely not got a pm. Can you try again.......

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
I swapped out mine per the instructions in the owners manual. The lens simply pops out. I used a butter knife to loosen the lens and remove. What does is different in the PDF?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I swapped out mine per the instructions in the owners manual. The lens simply pops out. I used a butter knife to loosen the lens and remove. What does is different in the PDF?
Nothing really DJ.

It's just that not everybody is comfortable with prizing the lense out of their new car without the reassurance that they won't do it wrong and break something. I like e butter knife idea as it has a broad blade. The manual advises to wrap tools with tape to avoid marking the plastic.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ah, I see. Yes, one has to be careful (gentle and slow) when prying parts. I believe the manual advices to wrap the blade/tool as well. Also a good practice!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just did it. Here's the simple low down.

Slide in a butter knife or non-marring thin plastic tool (cheap on Amazon) with indents on the inner side of the map light lens in the middle front area.
Front part of the lens is where it snaps in vs the rear part which slides in with a tip that you don't want to have damaged.

From there, use the indent on the non-marring tool to pull out the lens. It should snap out of the front snap in. After that you can pull it out with hand.

For the back piece, you can see and indent on the front portion. Cover a medium flat head screw driver with thick tape to prevent marring the plastic surround and then pop out the lens. The back of the dome lens is where it slides in so don't damage the three slide in prongs.

Here is the JDM Astar LED in the front map lights vs the OE bulbs. No resistors needed. They are much brighter than most off the shelf LED lights that cost more. Ask me how I found out.
I also have the same LED bulb in the hatch cargo light. My wife complained that it was so bright in her eyes so I made it face a bit downward to the cargo floor and that fixed the issue.

JDM ASTAR Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets Error Free 1.25 inches DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175 LED Interior Map Dome Lights, Xenon White
by JDM ASTAR
Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HE6CI58

Here is the same bulb installed on the dome light.

It is 31 mm vs 30 mm on OE bulbs, so you will have to bend the hard tab just a bit to mount the bulb without bending the soft tab too much.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I'm not having any luck with LEDs. Both the number plate lights and the reversing lights are playing up. I think they don't like the shock of the back door shutting even though I don't exactly slam it. Back to normal bulbs next week.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Whats happening with yours? I've been paying close attention to mine to ensure they are working as they're supposed to and so far so good, thankfully. Nothing worse than seeing a vehicle with aftermarket LEDs and they are flickering etc. I don't want that to happen to me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Flickering is due to CANBUS checks. My E90 BMW using JDM Astar LEDs on head lamp and reverse does it only on initial start up. Goes away as soon as the lights are lit. Doesn't happen on the DRL accent LED by JDM Astar. No such flicker on 2013 Miata head lamp, dome, reverse, plate, and trunk LEDs. No luck on the signals, Mazda switch circuit doesn't like it unless resistors are installed and they get HOT beyond 80 C!

I think your "Flickr" is just loose mounting or poor LED quality. Try a different brand like JDM Astar. The SuperBrightLED.com brand I had was crap.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Aye, probably cheap. I just bought two pairs off eBay.

The left reversing light was out which could be a poor connection but it didn't take long. One of the number plate lights was going decidedly bonkers and flashing off and on and going dim. I can't handle temperamental and they may well get binned.

Who knows about traffic lights? Here in the UK, they change if you flash your lights at them but I'm convinced they can't see LED headlights. They completely ignore me.

·
Registered
871 Posts
^^Thats annoying. The LED sets I got off Amazon seem to be holding up well, but it's only been a month - the quality seems good and they weren't that cheap cost-wise. I'll keep an eye on them.

I've never been able to flash my headlights. I guess I need to go out to the burbs away from city lights as they won't flash if there is other light around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.