Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you have all seen this lowered Mazda CX3 but how much do you think this would cost to get done? Would you recommend going through the dealer or elsewhere? Located in Chicago incase anyone knows of shops.

The first photo I found on Facebook and the second photo was taken at the dealership where I purchased my CX-3. Haven't heard back yet on pricing from the dealer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Is it lowered or are they 20-22” wheels?

Kinda defeats the object to me for my use but I suppose if you want the AWD as a handling enhancer there might be some justification.

·
Registered
212 Posts
H&R has lowering spring set (28775-2) for AWD models.
Use the product finder H&R - DAS FAHRWERK
Costs around 150 € in Germany and lowers by 30 mm.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you're going to lower the CX-3 you night as well just get a Mazda3. The AWD won't be a huge factor.
That depends on what kind of winters you have in your location.
If you have 6 months per year snow and freezing temps and maintenance of roads sucks 2WD is not an option. Atleast not for all.

Not everyone wants to drive a big SUV. Or can't afford to have one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That depends on what kind of winters you have in your location.
If you have 6 months per year snow and freezing temps and maintenance of roads sucks 2WD is not an option. Atleast not for all.

Not everyone wants to drive a big SUV. Or can't afford to have one.
I'd rather have the AWD. Its not just for snow. Its good for any adverse conditions such as rain, mud, snow, etc. IMO, the AWD gives the CX3 that slight edge in handling capabilities.

And the other reason.....LOOKS....I love the looks of the CX3 a little more than the 3 even with the similarities.

The CX3 is the wife's car but if it were mine, I would greatly consider it making it look like one of those in the pictures above. I think it looks mean.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not a fan of those wheels but that ride height is perfect to me, perfect for the sort of driving I would have to be doing which for most people works out to be practical...even for the worst of situations.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I also don't see the point. If you wanted a hatchback.....get a hatchback like the Mazda 3.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You live in Chicago and you want to lower this car more than it already is? You do know when you get stuck in snow it is primarily from ground clearance right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get what you're all saying. I love the cx-3 as is but think it looks more aggressive when it's lowered. I didn't like the 3 because it doesn't have the all wheel drive capability. If it did, it would have been something I would have considered.

For the past 5 years I had a FWD 07 Hyundai Tiburon which was extremely low to the ground and luckily never got stuck. Something I may consider doing to the cx-3 however I do hesitate because of the harsh winters in Chicago. I think it'll all depend on how much it costs and what the warranty would be from Mazda.

I'm hoping that dealership will switch out the custom wheels to the original GT wheels soon because it's been about a month now with the current set up

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW, when I purchased a 2009 Acura RDX, the first this I did was install 20' rims and then Eibach lowered springs. Best thing I did. Yes, the ride is harder, however the handling is way better. Further, made the RDX really stand out.

Attached is a picture of the wheel comparison. However, this was before lowering it. The Eibach springs lowered the car (after some settling period) about 1.5 inches in both the front and back.

I'm considering installing the lowered springs as well. (But not the 20s this time :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Andre, I think you will be severely disappointed that you bought a AWD to have it lowered when winter comes around. I assume you bought the AWD for snow like i did. My friend had a Impreza AWD for years and always complained about it getting stuck from bottoming out, and he moved to the Subaru XV. The CX-3 is about an inch lower than the XV as is.

I would venture to guess that the RDX even lowered has considerable more ground clearance than a CX-3 stock. And i don't know where you are from but in New England we get hit with a good amount of snow.

I feel like the CX-3 is rather aggressive when it comes to how low it is, as is. At least the GT doesn't have a lot of exposed wheel well like the CX-5 did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Andre, I think you will be severely disappointed that you bought a AWD to have it lowered when winter comes around. I assume you bought the AWD for snow like i did. My friend had a Impreza AWD for years and always complained about it getting stuck from bottoming out, and he moved to the Subaru XV. The CX-3 is about an inch lower than the XV as is.

I would venture to guess that the RDX even lowered has considerable more ground clearance than a CX-3 stock. And i don't know where you are from but in New England we get hit with a good amount of snow.

I feel like the CX-3 is rather aggressive when it comes to how low it is, as is. At least the GT doesn't have a lot of exposed wheel well like the CX-5 did.
Accuse me of being "PC", but it's often a 'cultural thing'...
Really, it is a bad idea. People really are hung up on 'looks' in todays world though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accuse me of being "PC", but it's often a 'cultural thing'...
Really, it is a bad idea. People really are hung up on 'looks' in todays world though.
Actually, it isn't.

Coming from a Subaru STI which was AWD with a functional coilover setup, I found that lowering the vehicle just below one inch tremendously improved handling. Add to that I never had an issue with driveability during the winter months. I'm from NYC, so trust me I know what I'm talking about.

To the OP, the first pic with the volks looks absolutely beautiful. I got my cx3 with the intention of leaving OEM but I may need to rethink that!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love how everyone in various parts of the North think they have it the worse in winter. I live in Maine, but not counting places in the rockies, central NY has the craziest snowfall in North due to their lake effect snow. I assume there are other portions of the country that get lake effect as well. I believe New England ran away with the record last winter.

I personally care a lot about looks but wouldn't ever want to change the driving dynamics of a car. I only change for cosmetic reasons. If i wanted a lower car i'd buy a lower car. In particular I would look at the CX-5 and think how nice looking it was, if only they would lower it some or at least minimize the exposed open wheel well. I noticed how this improved over the years on the CX-5.

I used to have an Allroad with the adjustable height suspension, which is the best of all worlds, except the pocket book world.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I love how everyone in various parts of the North think they have it the worse in winter. I live in Maine, but not counting places in the rockies, central NY has the craziest snowfall in North due to their lake effect snow. I assume there are other portions of the country that get lake effect as well. I believe New England ran away with the record last winter.

I personally care a lot about looks but wouldn't ever want to change the driving dynamics of a car. I only change for cosmetic reasons. If i wanted a lower car i'd buy a lower car. In particular I would look at the CX-5 and think how nice looking it was, if only they would lower it some or at least minimize the exposed open wheel well. I noticed how this improved over the years on the CX-5.

I used to have an Allroad with the adjustable height suspension, which is the best of all worlds, except the pocket book world.
I think Russia gets crazy winters too but I have yet to see any Russian members here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually, it isn't.
To each his own...but I guarantee 99% of the people who buy a CUV would NOT want theirs lowered...and would probably want even more ground clearance...like maybe a Subaru Crosstrek (or a bit less as there is a LOT of it there) especially if one is talking about the AWD versions of the CUV's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts