Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

has anyone upgraded the lower trim radio that comes in some markets (see pic) with a used Oem Mazda CX3 touschsreen radio?

is it possible? Anything is lost by doing it? Would it work? There’s a few used oem units on ebay.

thanks a lot!!
Daniel

·
Registered
460 Posts
So you are actually lucky in some ways. This radio version is actually non existant in North America as all units come with the touchscreen version. However the touchscreen version requires a bit more integration as it interacts with some core car functions depending on the trim. I am not entirely sure what is being wired extra but its one of the reasons why I am unable to switch to an android os radio unit.

If anything I would suggest upgrading yours to an android unit with at least 2gb ram and 32gb storage (if you can get 4gb ram get that). The android radio units sold by chinese sellers are intended exactly for your radio type. You can also add in any universal backup camera to go with it/ use sygic as a much better offline navigation unit/ and better quality sound from the built in amps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It will also be MUCH cheaper to go the android radio unit way than trying to rebuild and rewire the oem touchscreen unit which is not really that good in the first place. The oem unit also only works with oem steering wheel control module, oem camera, and oem gps (which you will probably have to pay extra for the sd card).

The only issue is, I have no experience or recommendation to suggest for the cx-3 android units. I see so many different types, styles, and sizes on aliexpress but have no idea how reliable they are :/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your reply SlyCoopers! I’ve been reading about those android units and they seem not the highest quality or integration with the steering wheel and navigation controls.
Do you think if installing the original Oem Radio it will work without any info about the engine, system, etc? Just trying to get carplay working nicely on my car to be honest.

thanks!
Daniel

·
Registered
460 Posts
It might be possible but you may have an issue with wiring harnesses. More features = different/more cable connections. At the most barebones wiring, you would need to route to each speaker both + and-, acc, power, and ground wiring from the original harness. Theoretically it should be doable but you would be splicing into your current harness. You also need the plug ends for the oem radio to route your newly spliced cables to for the connection. You could just solder it but at point its a really sketchy job. Then you need the android auto/carplay usb unit and wire that to the oem unit if it ends up working in the first place. There may be more wiring needed for basic functionality but this is what I could think off the top of my head based on aftermarket radios Ive installed.

Im not saying its impossible to do but its uncharted territory which unfortunatly very few people are in your situation much less willing to try this. If carplay/AA is your goal I would really suggest trying to find a decent android radio instead because depending on how things work where you are, the cost for getting this done on the oem unit may be more than worthwhile. Definitely here in the states, hiring someone to do a job like this would be thousands at minimum for just the labor if they even take the job. Non sketchy brands would have worked out aa/cp compatibility in their android units.

Personally I thought of a more chaotic unique way to achieve this as a backup incase something ever happens to my oem unit. I dont plan on ever paying or even letting a dealer replace it and have decided I am going to splice in a joying-auto 8" on the dash attached to the trim. So it would be right under the oem radio area next to the center/drivers air vent. The screen is relocatable and with some tinkering can be mounted anywhere as long as you have a screen extension cable. The base can be located anywhere the extension cable can reach like in the glove box and I would splice it it into the acc/power/ground/and speaker wires of the oem unit (which at this point would not be working). I attempted to get both of these units working side by side but learned the hardway that connecting 2 active units to the same speaker wire causes problems and feedback issues. So at this point its a work in progress as a future backup incase my oem unit ever breaks lol. I have installed 4 joying units so far and by far the best 'quality' android radio with full android auto/carplay functionality amongst other features.
^^^^ This is also a very experimental project so dont take it as a guarantee replacement for it. Just me brainstorming ideas but this seemed most plausible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts