Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blind Spot Monitoring intermittent problem.

Forgive me if this has been covered, but I could not find it if so... Anyway on my wife's GT AWD the problem is very intermittent. Usually while driving, the indicator lights that means the system is inoperable (or off). Manually turning it back on does NOT work. Sometimes it goes off on its own then system works normally, but most times the car needs to be turned off then system will reset and work for a while as it is intended. It did this quite a bit on our 5K trip to Florida then just stopped and behaved normally for a few months! This weekend it has started up again. I mentioned it to our service manager a couple of weeks ago while in for service and he was not familiar with the problem but since it had not recurred in a while, told us to keep an eye on it and call him if it recurs.

Any ideas? Is our car haunted? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
109 Posts
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I could not find it if so... Anyway on my wife's GT AWD the problem is very intermittent. Usually while driving, the indicator lights that means the system is inoperable (or off). Manually turning it back on does NOT work. Sometimes it goes off on its own then system works normally, but most times the car needs to be turned off then system will reset and work for a while as it is intended. It did this quite a bit on our 5K trip to Florida then just stopped and behaved normally for a few months! This weekend it has started up again. I mentioned it to our service manager a couple of weeks ago while in for service and he was not familiar with the problem but since it had not recurred in a while, told us to keep an eye on it and call him if it recurs.

Any ideas? Is our car haunted? :eek:
I noticed this with the blindspot monitoring system... The system works best when the car is clean. Driving in snow or slush made the system inoperable very quickly. So maybe the sensors are getting dirty/covered (would make sense on a long road trip)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed this with the blindspot monitoring system... The system works best when the car is clean. Driving in snow or slush made the system inoperable very quickly. So maybe the sensors are getting dirty/covered (would make sense on a long road trip)?
Forgive my ignorance but what is the different between lane departure and blindspot monitoring? Thought it was the same animal? :|

·
Registered
256 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what is the different between lane departure and blindspot monitoring? Thought it was the same animal? :|
Lane departure warning is to warn You when You drift out of You lane.
It uses a front mounted camera detecting the lines defining the lane You're in.
Blind Spot Monitoring is to warn You of a car in the blind spot, so You don't change lanes and hit another car You ahven't seen in the mirrors. It uses tiny radars mounted in each rear corner of the car and show the warning in the side mirrors (depending on which side).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Santa. If this is the case then I guess I mean blind-spot monitoring on ours. Still not sure why the intermittent problem. If its BSM then cleaning would not affect the problem? Still confused a bit.

NOTE just checked the window sticker and it says we have "Blind Spot Monitoring".

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks Santa. If this is the case then I guess I mean blind-spot monitoring on ours. Still not sure why the intermittent problem. If its BSM then cleaning would not affect the problem? Still confused a bit.

NOTE just checked the window sticker and it says we have "Blind Spot Monitoring".
Could be an issue with the system in Your car.
In ours the BSM is working flawlessly, so I can't help You there.

·
Super Moderator
109 Posts

If your car is clean and you still have the issue, then there is an issue with your car. Check in the owner's manual. It tells you where the sensors are and to make sure that area is clean.

·
Registered
90 Posts
First, confirm which warning light it is. BSM is a car with waves coming out of the corner. LDW is a car extruding from two vertical lines. Check your owner's manual (section 7) for more details.

If BSM, this most likely indicates a problem that should be addressed by the dealer.

If LDW, one possibility is that your car windshield over the camera was dirty. Frost, water, dirt, bugs or bird poop can all obscure the camera and prevent LDW from working. Do you recall if you were driving in dirty conditions? If it happens again, stop and examine the windshield clarity. Maybe even take pictures so if there is indeed a problem, you can have the dealer replace the system.

Another possibility, though less likely, could be your alignment, tire pressure, or the road bank angle. If there's a lot of steering input needed to correct for bias (ie, turning the wheel left or right significantly just to go in a straight line), that could cause the LDW to stop functioning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help and suggestions. LDW is obviously something I do not have; so it is a Blind Spot Monitoring problem. I changed the title of original post to indicate this. I will welcome any other suggestions and will probably make an appointment for next week to get it checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my cx3 GT for 6 months now and have the intermittent lane departure warning issue. Blind spot monitoring warning light came on once as well. This thread is getting old but hoping someone out there has had this issue resolved. Dealer checked it out but no codes. Blamed it on dirty windshield but I don't buy it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had my cx3 GT for 6 months now and have the intermittent lane departure warning issue. Blind spot monitoring warning light came on once as well. This thread is getting old but hoping someone out there has had this issue resolved. Dealer checked it out but no codes. Blamed it on dirty windshield but I don't buy it. Any help is appreciated.
My BSM system problem was resolved. The intermittent problem was due to a faulty sensor somewhere... My dealer replaced both under warranty and the system has been fine for some months now. Be forewarned the parts are likely NOT to be in stock. Took Mazda a couple of weeks to get everything they need to repair this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The lane departure system does need the top centre of the windscreen kept clean, the wipers should do this. The blind spot monitoring consists of a radar sensor at the rear inside each corner of the car fairly low down, you can see one of you look inside the removable flap on the right hand corner inside the boot (trunk). These shouldn't be affected by dirt on the body, so looks like a definite system fault, if they're not working.

I have both systems on my 2.0 AWD and they work flawlessly. I suggest you go straight to the dealer next time the light comes on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will call today for a new appointment. Unfortunately the lane departure warning light only stays on for a few seconds up to maybe 30seconds at a time. Of course it won't come on while in the shop. The first time it came on was in the rain. Maybe a bad electrical connection? It does come on momentarily every day. Annoying

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't forget BMS will not be triggered if YOU are driving up next to a car. In order to trigger BMS there needs to be a moving object next to you and be in a forward motion faster than YOU.

I'm not a fan of how it functions compared to others but this is what we have observed. There's an assumption in the SW that says if YOU are passing someone else you are already aware of them and doesn't need to trigger BMS.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't forget BMS will not be triggered if YOU are driving up next to a car. In order to trigger BMS there needs to be a moving object next to you and be in a forward motion faster than YOU.

I'm not a fan of how it functions compared to others but this is what we have observed. There's an assumption in the SW that says if YOU are passing someone else you are already aware of them and doesn't need to trigger BMS.
Which kinda explains why the system goes off when I am stopped and about to make a turn with turn-signal on and a car is coming up behind mine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think the rear cross traffic alert is similar in that if there is a stationary object behind you when you start to back up, the alarm will not go off. I nearly ran over my dog because he chose to lie down behind my car just as I got in, started it up and was about to back up. No alarm, but I did glance at the backup camera display and saw him having a snooze in the middle of the driveway just in time.

Reactions: ttaidapos

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the rear cross traffic alert is similar in that if there is a stationary object behind you when you start to back up, the alarm will not go off. I nearly ran over my dog because he chose to lie down behind my car just as I got in, started it up and was about to back up. No alarm, but I did glance at the backup camera display and saw him having a snooze in the middle of the driveway just in time.
Good to know and it makes sense if the same developer developed BSM. The sensors/computers can't tell if your dog is a "rock" or stationary object or something with a heartbeat. Lesson learned to always check behind the car before reversing I guess? I don't own a dog but my neighbors do and I should be checking when I reverse out. Thanks for this!

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's correct.
RCTA is for warning You of moving objects (mostly cars) when reversing out of a parkingspot and it uses the same radars as the BSM.
You need rear parking sensors to warn against stationary objects or a backup camera (or both) when reversing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Last few weeks, the BSM trouble light has popped up 3 times, always in the early morning and clears shortly after. I got a pic of it. I will be letting the dealer know when I take it in for oil chamge (should be under warranty), just not sure if the history is stored in the cars data.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts