Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently lost one of my key fob and now looking to buy a replacement and reprogram both.
The dealership quoted the price of replacing one key fob and to reprogram both for about $330 total.

Just wanted to know if it was possible to buy a spare one myself online and reprogram it myself, I found some info on other mazda models saying that I would need two working fob to reprogram it myself, if this was true and what alternatives I have besides the dealership.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't believe it is possible to program it yourself. If you find out otherwise, let us know.

When I wanted some extra Subaru keys programmed, I called around and found a wide range of prices. Probably true here also.
You can save some money by buying your own keyfobs and having them programmed, but then you risk them not working AND having to pay for the programming effort. I did that on my Subaru and got lucky.

After I negotiated my CX3 deal I demanded they throw in two extra keys. They did. Hopefully I am set on keys for a while.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is no possible way for the consumer to program these keys themselves as it requires a Mazda diagnostic tool called IDS to program the key(s) to the vehicle. Also as a side note, using "aftermarket" fobs (cheaper non-mazda oem fobs) at least in my experience has failed and at worst bricked the vehicle requiring a new PCM. I know that getting a new key and fob is expensive but just be happy that its not the old credit card style keys like the RX 8, 3rd gen Miata (some version of it), and previous CX 9 which cost $600+ not including programming cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both replies, guess really no other way than to go thru the dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for both replies, guess really no other way than to go thru the dealership.
I did the same thing today. That's 2 for 2. How did you go with the replacement? How much did you pay in the end from the dealership if you don't mind me asking?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts