Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2016 CX3 just started exhibiting a problem where our key fobs have started not being detected when outside (or inside) the car - which causes the ‘request switch’ (button) on the door handles not to allow you to open the doors. The batteries in the remote(s) are both brand new (just tried switching again), and both remotes have exactly the same problem, with both driver and passenger doors. The remotes with both allow us to lock and unlock the car by pressing the buttons (on the remotes) – but it seems that the car is not recognizing the remotes are within range, and will not let us into the car by simply pressing the button (‘request switch’ on the manual) on the door handle.

While we can work around this inconvenience – the car also shows that there is a key problem when you get in the car by lighting the red key light problem indicator on the dash. The start button is green, and the car starts and runs fine but the red key light problem indicator stays light on the dash while starting, and stays on continually while driving.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem, and found a solution?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check your car battery, the keyless entry, is like an 'always on - scan' detection. While the remote buttons are transmitter/receiver setup.
Had the same problem last year on my 2016, changed both key FOB batteries, didn't improved. Also noticed it was even more fickle in colder mornings (makes sense as the battery does get affected by temp).
FYI, the car battery was the original factory fitted one, 5 years of service, without issue. Also when tested it was still ok, but on the lower end of the good scale. So i just changed it, since then no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion Zechariah936! Your idea makes a lot of sense to me. After all we have had the car for 7 years this month, the battery is the original one, and the weather has just started getting a little colder these last couple of weeks. I will try try replacing the battery this weekend to see if it resolves the issue, and I will let you know if it works. Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your car battery, the keyless entry, is like an 'always on - scan' detection. While the remote buttons are transmitter/receiver setup.
Had the same problem last year on my 2016, changed both key FOB batteries, didn't improved. Also noticed it was even more fickle in colder mornings (makes sense as the battery does get affected by temp).
FYI, the car battery was the original factory fitted one, 5 years of service, without issue. Also when tested it was still ok, but on the lower end of the good scale. So i just changed it, since then no problems.
Hello Zechariah936. Again, thank you for your suggestion. I tried installing a new car battery in our car this weekend to see if it would resolve our problem, and it worked perfectly. The ‘request switch’ (button) on the door handles works again, and the red key light problem indicator on the dash has disappeared :) Like you, our car battery was the original factory one. So with almost 7 years of service I didn't feel bad having to buy a new one. . Honestly, I think Mazda should market this as a early car battery warning indicator. I know that is what I am going to use it for going forward ;) Cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad it's solved.
Yeah, the red key light in the dash is the car 'saying' that the battery has an issue, however it's cant tell you if it's the key FOB or the car battery. However it's not early warning.
Your start-stop feature should be working again as normal (for me that was the clear indication that it's the car battery and not the key), when the engine has been running for a few minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my joy that I had fixed this issue was short lived. My wife came back in from using her car after I thought I had fixed it reporting that the car was still not letting her in without pulling the remote out of her purse to manually use the remote to unlock the car, and that the red light key indicator was still showing on the dash. The problem has another root cause. Any other ideas? I now realize that there is also water leaking into the tailgate (water pours out when you open it), and I am wondering if that maybe a cause of the problem. I have also read that this maybe a problem with the receiver, and that I can test that by grounding the receiver wire. Does anyone know where the receiver, or receiver wire is located in the car?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I now realize that there is also water leaking into the tailgate (water pours out when you open it), and I am wondering if that maybe a cause of the problem.
I can't help with your fob issue, but I had the same problem with water in the tailgate.

I found that the rubber seals around the tail light lenses in the rear hatch were allowing water to get inside the door. I removed the lenses and used silicone caulking around the openings and then reinstalled them. I haven't had water in the hatch since then.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you Malks for the advice! I will try that next weekend. Were the lenses hard to remove?
Mine were pretty easy. There are access panels on the inside of the hatch that allow you to reach the bolts that hold each lense onto the hatch. Remove the nuts and gently pull the lense off. I used a clear automotive silicone sealer and ran a bead around both openings. Then replaced them and haven’t had a leak since. Be careful not to over tighten the bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts