Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
29 months of ownership.
I remote started using MMS (as usual) went to open my door and -no familiar beep.
is the key in my pocket ? Yes it is!!
OK pressed unlock - nothing.
momentary dreaded feeling - car running can't get in it.
Read that in the manual - I can use a real key and then....

Psssst.. give your head a shake, there's another key fob inside that warm house.

Went to the dealer after work - they "gave" me a new battery.

So almost daily use and battery lasted 29 months for me.
I'll think I should break out my meter and check the battery on the second fob

- does the battery drop faster on the one in use ?
- what is the 'average' lifetime of the battery ?
Has anyone tried the "push to start" with a dead battery in the key fob ?

so many questions about a simple battery.

zoom-zoom no beep-beep

·
Registered
60 Posts
I recently changed battery in my key. A green warning light was indicating low battery level.
My lasted for 31 months until the warning light indication.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently changed battery in my key. A green warning light was indicating low battery level.
My lasted for 31 months until the warning light indication.
Ah, I didn't know about the green warning light. I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017. One thing that worried me with the push button start was that if the battery in the key fob dies you're dead in the water so I replaced the battery in both key fobs, but kept the old ones for spares. I have it in my Outlook calendar to buy new ones next September, I was thinking 1 year was safe. Looks like 2 years is safe, but I'll still buy 2 new ones for spares, they're cheap enough. I keep 1 spare in the glove box as the key in the fob can get you in the car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ah, I didn't know about the green warning light. I bought my 2016 CX-3 in Sept. 2017. One thing that worried me with the push button start was that if the battery in the key fob dies you're dead in the water so I replaced the battery in both key fobs, but kept the old ones for spares. I have it in my Outlook calendar to buy new ones next September, I was thinking 1 year was safe. Looks like 2 years is safe, but I'll still buy 2 new ones for spares, they're cheap enough. I keep 1 spare in the glove box as the key in the fob can get you in the car.
You can still start the car, even if the battery is dead.
You just touch the start button with the fob while you press it (it's mentioned in the manual).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly... These batteries are really unpredictable in these fobs. 3v Battery, but realistically as soon as it drops "just" below, it can start to cause proximity issues.
However IF you're stranded with a dead fob battery, Push the FOB against the Start button instead of your finger and it WILL start.... its a safety back up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honestly... These batteries are really unpredictable in these fobs. 3v Battery, but realistically as soon as it drops "just" below, it can start to cause proximity issues.
However IF you're stranded with a dead fob battery, Push the FOB against the Start button instead of your finger and it WILL start.... its a safety back up.
annd this was already stated... my bad!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts