Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2018 CX3 GT and plan to do most of my own maintenance. My question is, I got used to using K&N oil filters for my last car since the filter was far up in a tight space and the K&N filters have a nut built into the end that makes removal a lot easier.

Has anyone used a K&N on their CX3 and were there any fitment issues?

BTW, damn I love this car! :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I personally wouldn’t while it’s under warranty but it’s up to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You raise an excellent point Anchorman, I may start out with the OEM filter.

The K&N are good filters though and there would need to be proof that the non-OEM filter caused the warranty issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used K & N's many times and have never had a problem. I usually use these Premium Oil Filters as other Premium filters, 2X ... 7K OCI's "back to back". hey are extremely durable and are still filtered in a relatively clean engine.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
I personally wouldn’t while it’s under warranty but it’s up to you.
In the US the consumer is protected against this kind of stuff. You can definitely use non-mazda branded oil filters. The dealers here are terrible, but I have never had any issue as long as you document the oil changes. Point being, using a non-oem branded filter should be one of the last things to worry about when entering a Mazda dealership... hahaha.

In regards to the K&N filter. It is a re-branded Mobil 1 filter with a nut on the bottom for easier removal. If you compare the filter elements in the store, they are identical down to the numbers printed on them. The K&N from what I recall was about $1 more expensive. Please keep in mind that what the dealer will sell you in the US is not actually a Mazda branded filter. They sell "Mazda Value" branded products and they are of much lower quality than an OE filter you can buy online/amazon. Buyer beware.

Edit:
Just an FYI. The OE filter is made by Tokyo Roki Co. LTD and is a very good quality product. The part number is: PE01 14 302A
The cheapo stuff they are selling at the parts desk has the part number PE01 14 302A-MV. I attached photos so you can see the difference between the two. I didn't take a photo of the internal filtering element, so you can not see the internal differences. But just take a look at how much better the OE seal is (round) vs the MV (flat and not even).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts