Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello from Western Canada. My wife and I just bought a Mazda CX-3 in the Mica Blue. We're in our 40's and have never bought brand new before. We were very nervous, as you can imagine. But we had driven older vehicles, made smart choices and saved some money, so the time had come.

We opted for the GX model, as some of the features in the GS and GT just weren't that important to us (even though I live in Canada I actually don't like heated seats...go figure). We had looked at a Honda HR-V, but while it was a solid vehicle we didn't fall in love with it. After checking out the CX-3 we opted to buy for a few reasons.

1. Test drive. I was surprised at how well it drove. The parking lot at the dealership was a sheet of ice. I mean you could play hockey on it. The CX-3 picked up from prone with almost zero wheel spin. On the road it was agile, responsive and remarkably quiet. Really fun to drive. Cruise control worked really well and was smooth. I've driven some vehicles where the CC has been a bit clunky. The automatic transmission is definitely better than the CVT on other vehicles, although that may just be a personal preference.

2. We're DINKs. No kids. No need to haul child seats, or take kids to hockey or soccer practice. We were well aware that the back seat was small and the cargo area was fairly modest. However, with the seats down my skis fit in as do both of our large suitcases. In the last year I've had people in the back seat of my car less than 5 times.

3. Dealership. The dealer wanted the sale. Must be model year-end or something. We got the NAV, protection package, winter package including 2 way remote start. The dealer gave us a price, after some discussion, that fit well into our budget. They made it work and were not high pressure, which we appreciated. We were willing to walk away, but they made it so that we didn't. Good experience.

4. Aesthetics. It's a really sharp car. Looks great outside and inside. I was surprised by how premium the quality looks and feels on a vehicle in this category.

5. Fuel economy. At 8.8 L/100km in the city, it should do quite well for us.

6. I actually liked the infotainment system, although I've read some complaints. During the test drive I found that I was already learning/getting used to using the console knob and buttons without looking. I can see this becoming intuitive in no time. The steering wheel controls were laid out nicely as well. I like that I have an SD slot (in addition to the one used by the NAV), and 2 USB slots.

I do have some concerns, although none of them were deal breakers.

1. No change holder or small storage spaces that can store small items.

2. Cup holders are too far back.

3. No arm rest.

4. Restricted view when shoulder checking.

Ultimately we decided that in our early 40's we'd seen enough of winter that we wanted an AWD vehicle. Considering that we have no kids and really don't need a big vehicle, our choices came down to CX-3 and HR-V since I haven't been impressed with reliability ratings on domestics. HR-V had more space but just didn't look or drive as well and didn't have as nice an interior, in my personal opinion.

Our new CX-3 is being prepped for pickup with NAV, paint sealant, undercoating, rust inhibitor, and fabric sealant. Should be good to go in the next day or so. Once I drive it for a while I'll post back with some more experienced impressions. Thanks for reading and giving feedback.

:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Your likes and dislikes are shared by many. The CX3 is probably my favorite vehicle of all I've owned - and I've had some nice ones.

If you add your location to your profile it may help us address specific questions if you have them later on. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the club! Another western canada CX-3 owner except in the Dynamic Blue. Though I went with the GS model because I wanted the heated seats and sunroof ;)

I also found the dealer super easy to work with. Threw in Navigation, waived a bunch of fees, knocked $1000 off, providing my first service free and threw on winter tires for me. They made buying a car pretty easy and enjoyable.

Where's the pictures??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once I pick it up and get it home I'll post some pictures.

One other thing the dealer threw in...free oil changes for life.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Kinda sets off that gorgeous looking neighbourhood doesn’t it?

Its also the first time I’ve seen the genuine 16” steel wheels - they look really good.

Thanks for the interesting overview of your buying choice. I hope I’ve misunderstood your handle and you don’t consider yourself on deaths doorstep in your 40s!!! I do when the alarm goes off at 02:30 like it did today :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I have just bought my first Mazda, an AWD CX-3 GT. I am an old geezer, ex-Navy Pilot from the Cold War era and retiree, but I can still see and hear and I like an automobile that has torque and performs well. As you all know, this little baby handles like a dream, and sport mode is a real kick. I have only had the car, however, for a few days and I am still checking out all of the features. Here is a question:

According to the owner's manual if a destination has been set in the navigation system, we are supposed to see not only our speed but also turn-by-turn directions in the active driving display. I have followed the instructions in the manual explicitly and have checked all of the proper boxes in the settings, but nothing is shown on the little pop-up screen but my speed. I have told my salesman about this problem and he and I went through all of the steps together but with no success. He, in turn, has talked to the service people and they have no solution except to say that there may be a bug that will be corrected in a future update. My question to you is, "Have any of you CX-3 owners encountered the same problem? Are you ,who have the active driving feature, able to see both speed and turn-by-turn directions at the same time? If your answer is "Yes", what is the trick that I may be missing? Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum. You are the second Navy vet we have on the forum, no doubt he will compare notes with you at some stage.

I believe to activate the heads up turn by turn settings you have to go to the Nav Screen and then go into the settings from there - NOT the main settings App. They only appear when you are driving and don’t faithfully follow what is on the centre screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, Anchorman

Sorry for the multiple replies (if they have all gone through). I am still getting used to using this forum.

I followed your suggestion originally. You have written, however, "They only appear when you are driving and don’t faithfully follow what is on the center screen." I read this to mean that If I always follow correctly the details shown on the main display I will never see navigation details on the head-up screen. Is that right?

Best, bfking

·
Registered
303 Posts
I turned it on and it works. The check box is on in the settings/AD-Display tab ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Sorry for the multiple replies (if they have all gone through). I am still getting used to using this forum.

I followed your suggestion originally. You have written, however, "They only appear when you are driving and don’t faithfully follow what is on the center screen." I read this to mean that If I always follow correctly the details shown on the main display I will never see navigation details on the head-up screen. Is that right?

Best, bfking
Sorry, I've explained badly. What I mean is that the centre display might show a symbol to denote the next instruction is a turn to the left in 1 mile but your head up display might not show it until you are about to reach the turn.

Have you ticked the box that Dean has shown above?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, All, to be late with this acknowledgment of your good advice. Yes, I have checked the navigation box that Dean shows (neat presentation), but still no show of turn arrows, etc. My Mazda dealer cannot figure out what is wrong- - may be software error. They are still checking into the problem. Meanwhile I will try checking and unchecking boxes in the AD display window to see if it needs a good shaking to get it to work. (Crude approach but one never knows.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts