Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can anyone help explain how the autostart workds? My istop always auto-restart after about 10seconds. Normally when I stop at a traffic light, I step harder on my brake so it will initiate the iStop, after that i will pull my handbrake and put the gear into neutral and let go of the brake. However, istop would auto-restart(without reaching even a minute, I've checked that maximum for istop is 2 minutes) even after i did all these.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just come to a full-stop.
Press brake hard (as You already do) and iStop will kick in and kill the engine.
Now just keep Your foot on the brake and the gear in D (assuming You have auto transmission), don't put in neutral and release the brake (although I see the manual states You can do this and it should still work).
When You want to drive off, just release the brake and engine will restart.
It will also restart if battery or a/c is in need of more power, so it may restart even if You haven't released the brake.

I do this and it works perfetctly.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Its interesting to note that the engine is stopped with the pistons in the exact right position to give the fastest start possible when the starter turns. At least one piston is poised on the power stroke.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Its interesting to note that the engine is stopped with the pistons in the exact right position to give the fastest start possible when the starter turns. At least one piston is poised on the power stroke.
And it works brilliantly :)

As I understand it, it's not actually the starter that restarts the engine (at least not on it's own) but rather the spark in the right cylinder pushing the piston down and thus helping to restart the engine. And at the same time give a faster restart (which is true, I barely have time to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before the engine has restarted).

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
And it works brilliantly :)

As I understand it, it's not actually the starter that restarts the engine (at least not on it's own) but rather the spark in the right cylinder pushing the piston down and thus helping to restart the engine. And at the same time give a faster restart (which is true, I barely have time to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator before the engine has restarted).
Yes, the diesel is lightning fast too.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yes, the diesel is lightning fast too.
It's my first car with start/stop.
I've driven other cars with it (only manuals) and they didn't work as well as this one.
And I like the fact, that You can see what's preventing it from activating in the economy app :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi. Can anyone help explain how the autostart workds? My istop always auto-restart after about 10seconds. Normally when I stop at a traffic light, I step harder on my brake so it will initiate the iStop, after that i will pull my handbrake and put the gear into neutral and let go of the brake. However, istop would auto-restart(without reaching even a minute, I've checked that maximum for istop is 2 minutes) even after i did all these.
Are you from a warmer or colder climate? It could be the car's climate control causing this.

I've found on hot days i-stop will start the car for 20 or so seconds and then turn off again. If I can't deal without climate control on a hot day I normally turn i-stop off because of this feature.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Are you from a warmer or colder climate? It could be the car's climate control causing this.

I've found on hot days i-stop will start the car for 20 or so seconds and then turn off again. If I can't deal without climate control on a hot day I normally turn i-stop off because of this feature.
Exactly, the same happens here in cold weather but you can see if the A/C is inhibiting the Istop by looking at the fuel economy App in the App screen. The one with the outline of the car will show READY when the icons all glow blue. I never turn it off - if it works, it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts