Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed when pushing the brake pedal down harder after coming to a stop at traffic lights the iStop starts straight away ?

Mazda CX3 1.5L Diesel

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Yes. It has to feel some brake pressure in order to apply the hill hold assist (a misnomer in that it works in any direction or incline) and only then will it shut the engine down. You also need to have the wheel pointed virtually straight ahead and no pressure on it so if you are standing at a junction, straighten the wheel and let go or make sure you relax pressure to allow it to work. It will not work if the heater is set at full heat or cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this feature (iStop) only available in the diesel version of the CX3? I have never had my CX3 (GS - Canada) stopping the engine when idling. I can't recall reading about it in the user manual. Would be a good feature to have...

·
Registered
63 Posts
istop is also in the gasoline version. I have it in my 2.0 120 HP. You have to remember that may factors influence the Istop, engine temperature, your total electricity consumption (rear window heater active, A/C active and so on)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't think it's something you can turn off at all.

Yeah you can, should be a button next to the traction control button. I turn it off allot as I mainly drive small trips and I don't want the extra stop and starts. Unless it's a feature not included in the market you are from (the button, not istop).

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Can on mine too (why does my dash look so dusty on a photo?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have that button. And the engine has never stopped (automatically), so I assume that i-stop is not in the Canadian version (at least for the GS model). Too bad...

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
There are a few conditions to be met before it will stop.

The aircon must not be at full heat or full cool.

The steering wheel must be in the straight ahead position.

There must be no load on the steering wheel must have no load on it so pulling it straight from somewhere off centre to induce Istop won't work. Let go of the wheel once stopped.

You need to assure the system that you are stopped and not just pausing so you have fo press the brake a little firmer (but not hard) enough that it will engage the hill start assist brake.

It won't work if the heater temp is set to a higher value than the engine is current warm enough to provide. It may not work until the engine temperature is right up to normal depending on outside temperature.

It may not work if there is a high demand on the battery but normal heater, wipers, audio and lights is fine if the car has been running a while.

·
Registered
303 Posts
no button, no reference in owner's manual

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
.....and yet you are showing you have the tech package. You can thank Mazda Canada for that. The factory will supply sky blue pink with yellow dots on if they ask for it. I wonder why? Maybe it won't work for most of the winter months and therefor doesn't justify adding it to the spec???

·
Registered
303 Posts
yes - thanks to the forum, we are finding differences based on geographical location. Good or bad... hmmmm haven't formed an opinion on that yet

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't have that button. And the engine has never stopped (automatically), so I assume that i-stop is not in the Canadian version (at least for the GS model). Too bad...
US version doesn't have it either. Its really strange the way Mazda has fragmented their technology in the CX-3.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm okay with not having i-Stop. Ive driven several other examples and displeased with the experience. BMWs are so bad I can't believe someone signed off on the user experience.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It's the only way they can get it to meet Euro VI emission standard here. I must admit I was sceptical at first but It works really well. As fast as I can get my foot from the brake to the galloping iron, it is started and just sets off normally. It's also really neat how the heater and wipers set back to idle whilst the engine is off. The audio sounds great with no background noise.

·
Registered
451 Posts
US version doesn't have it either. Its really strange the way Mazda has fragmented their technology in the CX-3.
If you want to see fragmentation of models in the car industry, check out the 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. The US version comes complete with an updated Eyesight module and Blind Spot Detection. Canada? Forget it! Up here it is simply a redressed 2015 model with no new features.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wouldn't it make things easier for them to have one standard model across the globe? I can only imagine the logistical nightmare the COO of these car companies must deal with. Then again, maybe they don't do squat and simply delegate everything to their regional offices.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wouldn't it make things easier for them to have one standard model across the globe? I can only imagine the logistical nightmare the COO of these car companies must deal with. Then again, maybe they don't do squat and simply delegate everything to their regional offices.
That would be any manufactures dream and they are getting better at standardization. Unfortunately markets have conflicting sets of requirements. But they are lobbying to make it happen.

Automakers Lobby to Streamline US-EU Safety Regulations

I used to have a list of difference but can't find it. US vs EU is quite lengthy covering a variety of differences in safety, emissions even ride heights and accessories.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts