Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not just have pure fuel injection starting? I'm sure there is a very good reason why not.

But anyhow, my main question is. Some flag wavers of istop say the starter motor is not used. But the famous comparison video show the starter motor turning red (thus being used), just less then with the other system.

https://discoveryourmazda.com.au/mazda-istop-explained/

So what is it. Is the starter motor used or not?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yes, it used to start the car and yes, it’s used for a moment during istop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be useful for when you know that you will be stopped for around 3 to 5 minutes. Then that should be less start system load, then turning off for that period, and then doing a full restart.

Well that is my assumption anyway. Is engine temperature (one of)/the factor that determines how much help is needed from the starter motor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think Bosch or whoever makes the starter motors must not be selling enough hence the invention of I-stop type setups on cars.... we used to start our cars 2-4 times a day...the started motor would last forever. Nowadays your car will turn on and off maybe 50times a day. I wonder how much fuel you save by having your car turn off for 5 seconds actually saves, versus the cost of a new starter motor after 4-5 years. Not to mention the added damage done by more "blow-by" everytime you start your car.(A slow moving piston does not seal as well as a fast moving one).

There's an easy way to disable I-stop and have your car only turn off when you want it to. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
In my opinion, it’s not what you save in fuel with these devices, it’s how much fresh air you don’t render completely useless. Engines consume vast quantities of oxygen and it doesn’t purify itself, once it’s been converted into exhaust it’s no good to any living thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not just have pure fuel injection starting? I'm sure there is a very good reason why not.

But anyhow, my main question is. Some flag wavers of istop say the starter motor is not used. But the famous comparison video show the starter motor turning red (thus being used), just less then with the other system.

https://discoveryourmazda.com.au/mazda-istop-explained/

So what is it. Is the starter motor used or not?
It is a hybrid of the two. A majority of the starting workload is done by fuelling and firing one piston, with assistance from the starter motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts