Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda CX3 GT AWD 2016
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All...this is my first post and hoping for some insight/help. I purchased the OEM roof rail system, and began the install today. Much to my huge disappointment I’m unable to attach the rail on the drivers side. The front mounting bracket does not sit flush with the roof channel, it’s bent upward in the middle, and consequently sits up about a cm higher than it should. There is no way to attach any kind channel mounted rail with a bracket like that. Has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone know if those brackets are replaceable?
Thanks for any info/advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had a couple of different roof racks attached to my CX-3 and currently have the OEM rail and crossbar system mounted on it. The damage to that mounting bracket looks like a previous owner either over-tightened their rack system, or the rack hit something while it was attached to the roof. Those mounting brackets are either welded, or permanently riveted to the roof panel, so I'm not sure if they can easily be replaced. Your dealer would be able to answer that question.

You could try to gently tap the bracket to see if you can bend it back down into its proper location. Alternatively, you could modify the mounting block that comes with the roof rails by grinding down the area that makes contact with the bent bracket. That could allow the roof rail to sit flush with the roof panel and channel. However, I would be just as concerned with the amount of rust on the threads of that bracket. Have you tried to screw the mounting bolt into that bracket?

Good luck with your installation. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
Mazda CX3 GT AWD 2016
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a couple of different roof racks attached to my CX-3 and currently have the OEM rail and crossbar system mounted on it. The damage to that mounting bracket looks like a previous owner either over-tightened their rack system, or the rack hit something while it was attached to the roof. Those mounting brackets are either welded, or permanently riveted to the roof panel, so I'm not sure if they can easily be replaced. Your dealer would be able to answer that question.

You could try to gently tap the bracket to see if you can bend it back down into its proper location. Alternatively, you could modify the mounting block that comes with the roof rails by grinding down the area that makes contact with the bent bracket. That could allow the roof rail to sit flush with the roof panel and channel. However, I would be just as concerned with the amount of rust on the threads of that bracket. Have you tried to screw the mounting bolt into that bracket?

Good luck with your installation. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks for the input..I’m going to see if the dealer has any ideas on how to remedy the situation, hopefully they have some way to bend the bracket back into place. I did think about checking to see if the screw still fits in the bracket, and will attempt it tomorrow. I also did some research on replacement...didn’t find any info on replacing them on a Mazda, but did find some videos on YouTube for replacing them on a Subaru. Hoping that Mazda are similarly engineered!

Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts