Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the cx3 2.0 gasoline engine a non interference engine or not. I'm at 65k miles now, and need to know if I should be worried about the timing belt/chain as I get closer to a 100k miles.

Thx.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
With such a high compression ratio, it almost HAS to be an interference engine.

IIRC, the timing chain is spec'd to last the life of the engine. Though, saying that, if the chain breaks, so will the engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info. Although chains may not fail, the tensioner on the guides usually does. Saw 2 engines on Honda Accord get wasted with the tensioner failing causing the chain to skip. One Honda only had 120k Miles the other was at 160k.

·
Registered
226 Posts
According to the motorreviewer website, "the double overhead camshafts are driven by a timing chain. The chain is automatically tensioned using the chain tensioner actuated by oil pressure and the spring."

I suspect it is an interference type, both due to the high compression ratio and as it uses domed shaped tops to the pistons. There is no mention in the service schedules to changing the timing chain as a precautionary measure. If I keep my car long enough to make me think about having the chain changed, I guess it'll nag me like crazy if I don't then change it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts