Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Introducing Gee

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Levi3xt 
#1 ·
Here's my intro - and some questions. I'm Gee from the great state of Connecticut. Purchased my red CX-3 AWD with the premium package this weekend, just in time for our first inch of snow of the season. I also had a remote starter installed. So far I've noticed a couple things that I hadn't notice originally - a serious shortage of storage in the main compartment and a terrible burning smell outside of the vehicle (no visible leaks or smoke). I have done some research and it seems that this is fairly normal; I'll give a few weeks. Please correct me if I should be concerned.

I'm trying to figure out the liftgate - seems there is no release to "pop" it from inside, and under the liftgate there a two buttons one in the center which is the latch to open the gate, and one just to the right of that latch, but I can't figure out what it does - it causes a beep if I press it when the gate is open, but doesn't seem to do anything - it does nothing if I press it when the gate is down. I can't see anything about it in the manual. (help?)

Also, I thought the premium package came with free satellite radio for several months - that's not working. Do I have to do something to activate this?

The vehicle is very comfortable, and I love the heated seats. the moonroof will be a welcomed addition come spring.

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome. The burning smell is normal. It takes longer to dissipate over other new vehicles I have owned.

There is no hatch release inside as it isn't needed. It locks/unlocks with the doors. The secondary button functions like those on the door handles. I set my CX3 to auto lock when I walk away so have never needed it.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Gee. Must say, I didn't have the burning smell you describe.

DJ said the burning smell is normal... uumm. I'd like to hear from other forum members about that. If I'd smelt burning, I would want to know where it came from, if I couldn't find the reason I'd go back to the dealer to put my mind to rest (better to be sure than sorry).

I agree with your "a serious shortage of storage in the main compartment".

#5 ·
Reactions: JustGee
#6 ·
It isn't just a new Mazda that does this. New Subarus, New Toyotas, any new car will have to go through the process of burning off the coating that all metal engine car parts have applied at the factory to protect them on their voyage to wherever.

#8 ·
I've had a 2017 Touring for 6 weeks or so and am at more than 1,000 miles, but the burning smell sometimes creeps in when I'm parking.

For the most part, though, it faded in the first month. Was always strongest when I'd just come to a stop and was idling / parking. It spooked me, but I had heard about it from here and I know the engine coating stuff can stink to high heavens, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.