Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am looking for possible knowledge on an intermittent fault on my 2019 CX-3 (manual). Every so often the car refuses to energise the electronics (see basic description below).
I have booked the car in for a diagnostic early next year, however as this fault is random I fear that no fault will be found. Additionally I am worried that I may end up being stuck somewhere if the fault decides to become permanent.

When attempting to start the car, the clutch is depressed; the start button green light and the dash green key light appear. On depressing the start button, three to four clicks are heard from the dashboard area, however the electronics do not energise (light up). Thereafter the fault alarm beeps and the start button green light flashes before extinguishing. The fault (same symptoms) also appears when trying to energise the electronics only (without clutch depressed).

I have tried various manipulations e.g. locking and unlocking the doors, placing the key fob on the start button, replacing the key fob battery (three times), using the spare key, charging the car battery, disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery, jumpstart connection, getting the car battery tested on test bench (battery is good); however none of these manipulations appears to be the cause, as the fault rectifies randomly.

The clicking noise sounds like a switch or relay closing and opening. The noise is coming from the car dashboard and not from the engine relay/fuse box.

Regards Dale

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.
The MDZ screen does not even power up. Normally there a single click before energising, however this is numerous clicks and no power up. I have videos when the fault is present (unable to upload though). I will check the fuses and relays.
BR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh damn. Yes the clicks are the relays as you have said, When they all click at once or together-ish it's as if a single click. I mainly hear this when I switch off the engine and when I tune the power to ACC mode (engine off still).
Can the dealer not just do a diagnostic for you now, instead of waiting for next year?
I say just pitch up with the car, and ask them to, then you can decide when to have it fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I tried that and they said they were fully booked up. Said it could be the car battery, and even though I disagree, I went to the battery store and had it tested - all good. I don't know if the diagnostic will show anything if the fault is not present at the time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I tried that and they said they were fully booked up. Said it could be the car battery, and even though I disagree, I went to the battery store and had it tested - all good. I don't know if the diagnostic will show anything if the fault is not present at the time?
Note on outcome of CX3 intermittent start:
This is a copy of the email sent to Mazda South Africa, waiting to see the response.
"Hi
As per previous communications, my wife's 2019 Mazda CX3 went for a service and fault diagnostic on the 3rd of January 2022. A DTC code (SSU DTC B1026:96-08 - Code: B1026 - Steering Column Lock) was detected (see attached report). The fault was cleared and a software update was performed. I was instructed to monitor and return the vehicle if the fault re-appeared.
On the 6th of January 2022 I notified Modus Paarden Eiland workshop that the fault had occurred intermittently post service.

The vehicle was returned to the workshop on the 10th of January 2022 for further diagnostics. On the 12th of January 2022, I visited the workshop to query progress. The service Manager took me to the workshop an with the assistance of the Technician we performed numerous starts (or energising), and although the fault was clearly visible on numerous start attempts, the DTC code did not re-appear and I was informed that nothing can be done unless the DTC code is present, furthermore I was notified of the Note on Pg. 4-4 of the Mazda user manual i.e. "(Locked steering wheel) If the push button start light green is flashing and the beep sound is heard, this indicates that the steering wheel is not unlocked. To unlock the steering wheel, press the push button start while moving the steering wheel left and right."
I was not convinced this is the problem, as it has never happened in the first 2 1/2 year of ownership; however as there was no other options to repair a fault unless there is a DTC present, even though clearly visible to the technician, service manager and myself, I reluctantly accepted the return of the vehicle.
I requested an email from the Service manager (Ruth Turner?) of the diagnostic performed and the subsequent response to fault repair, as well as Mazdas commitment to honour fault repair post warranty, if the fault was visible before end of warranty. however this was not received.

No start problems were experienced until yesterday 2nd of February 2022, where the fault re-appeared and no amount of pressing the push button start while moving the steering wheel left and right would unlock the steering (attached is some video footage from an angry wife and despondent self). This occurred over an hour from home in a deserted car park in the Cape Town Silvermine nature reserve. I performed various other manipulations e.g. locking and unlocking the doors, placing the key fob on the start button, disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery, with no response. After 45 minutes just before contacting my insurance for assistance I tried again and the car started (steering unlocked). Again there is no OBD fault indication on SSU DTC. One thing I have noticed is that when the steering does unlock it sounds rough.

So now we sit with an unreliable vehicle 2 days out of warranty, and I would like to query if Mazda would honour fault repair post warranty, if the fault was visible before end of warranty. "

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Contact Mazda south africa, with full reports and happenings - dealership, dates, names etc.
You'll find that service delivery varies. Hope it works out.
Thanks
Mazda South Africa (Paarden Eiland) have retested the vehicle on the 7/2/2022 and agreed to replace the Start Stop Unit even though no new DTC code, as the steering lock mechanism sounds rough compared to other vehicles. Unfortunately the part is now on order from Japan so we need to wait for delivery. Luckily it has only occurred twice since then, however I am reluctant to drive the vehicle too far from home.
Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to Mazda South Africa (Paarden Eiland), the Start Stop Unit (SSU) was replaced, and after 2 months there has been no reoccurrence of the previous fault.:):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts