Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I recently replaced the dome lights in my '17 CX-3 with LED's. They work great. However, when the car is completely off (and on, not in use), the LED's are dimly lit. So dim, that you almost have to strain to see through the clear plastic lens covering the actual bulb.

I've done a bit of research, and the consensus is to not worry. Since LED's use such little power, even the tiniest trickle of power to the bulb is enough to illuminate them. It sounds like this same trickle is there for the incandescent bulbs, but it is unnoticeable because it takes so much more energy to fire up the filament inside to a point where you notice any light. While what other car forums have said is almost enough to calm my nerves about going out to my car in the morning to a dead battery, I want to hear from you guys. Have any of you experienced this? Anybody walk out to a dead battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've replaced the interior lights on my last several cars and have never noticed any light omitting from any of them when off. It may be the type of LED bulb you've used. My vehicles sometimes sit for a month at a time without being used, never had battery issues. All modern vehicles have some power draw when off, i'd not worry about it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey folks,

I recently replaced the dome lights in my '17 CX-3 with LED's. They work great. However, when the car is completely off (and on, not in use), the LED's are dimly lit. So dim, that you almost have to strain to see through the clear plastic lens covering the actual bulb.

I've done a bit of research, and the consensus is to not worry. Since LED's use such little power, even the tiniest trickle of power to the bulb is enough to illuminate them. It sounds like this same trickle is there for the incandescent bulbs, but it is unnoticeable because it takes so much more energy to fire up the filament inside to a point where you notice any light. While what other car forums have said is almost enough to calm my nerves about going out to my car in the morning to a dead battery, I want to hear from you guys. Have any of you experienced this? Anybody walk out to a dead battery?

Thanks!
I experinced the same in my previous car.

Did You buy the official Mazda LED-interior kit or did You buy them elsewhere?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. But it think they go off when ignition is switched off (or at the latest in 30 minutes when everything automatically powers off).
Haven't had any problems starting the engine after being parked outside 4 to 5 days in -15 °C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I experinced the same in my previous car.

Did You buy the official Mazda LED-interior kit or did You buy them elsewhere?
I did not buy the official kit. In fact, I didn't know that there was one available...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've noticed the same thing. But it think they go off when ignition is switched off (or at the latest in 30 minutes when everything automatically powers off).
Haven't had any problems starting the engine after being parked outside 4 to 5 days in -15 °C.
Well that makes me feel better. I thought that maybe they might go off after a little while. I set the "interior lights auto off" feature to 10 minutes and waited to see if they would go out, but they didn't. I'll have to look closer at the book to see if there is something else I am missing with the whole time out feature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same thing is happening to me but only on the front DOM passenger LED light. I just came back from Japan after leaving the car parked for 2 weeks and no problems starting up or symptoms of a drained battery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have fitted the "original" Mazda LED bulbs in the cabin and have not observed any errors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have fitted the "original" Mazda LED bulbs in the cabin and have not observed any errors?
It looks like that LED kit is not available in the US- which is where I am at. There is an LED kit available, but I believe it only illuminates the foot wells.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It looks like that LED kit is not available in the US- which is where I am at. There is an LED kit available, but I believe it only illuminates the foot wells.
That's a different kit, so You're there are two different kits; one for the foot wells and one for the ceiling and boot light.

We have this for the foot wells:
https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-3/2015-02/interior-styling/C851V7057A/

and this for the ceiling / boot):
https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-3/2015-02/comfort-utility/410078827A/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts