Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got round to giving the paintwork its first clean after taking delivery. You might think that it would be clean but they do a fair bit of standing around before we get our hands on them. You can see from this photo that the clay has picked up a significant amount of tree sap and other contaminants;

After claying, I spent a few minutes with Milwaukee polisher which is not always easy to photograph but have a look;

It just needs completing with Meguires wax and a final thin coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss sealant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great job!! Looks soo good.

I always clay any new car I get whether new or used. When I bought my 2013 Challenger with only 6 miles on it, I couldn't believe the amount of crap in the paint.

When I receive delivery of our GT (a few days I hope), that will be the absolute first thing I do.

P.S. Need an overall full body shot when your done. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks great and I know the time you put in to get that shine. I clayed my car after 2 weeks. I used a clay mitt sold by Chemical Guys so it was a fast process while I washed car at same time. I'm in New England USA so with winter coming on I put on 2 coats of a sealant (JetSeal) and then topped that off with Griot's Best of Show Carnuba wax using a Dual Action Random Orbital polisher. Hopefully that will get me through the coming snow, ice, sleet and salt that will be on the roads here. This weekend it's interior time - protectant on leather and Aerospace 303 on vinyl. I already put in the all season mats :)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the roof and the bonnet (hood) and I've waxed the rest of it. I'm going to visit a friend in Scotland who wants me to wait to do the rest. He uses Collenite which is expensive and the whole car will get done. I've used Meguires leather care for the seats and Meguires interior cleaner for the dash. It's the best I've come across for not leaving a waxy residue and it's cheap from Walmart.

It's going dark here now but will take a photo tomorrow.

Reactions: riosx2013

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention, I started with the snowfoam.

Reactions: CX-ME and riosx2013

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's one thing I love about red, when you apply that level of care to it or more it looks killer!

Only downside is the extra care due to fading from the sun, but worth every bit of effort to keep it in tip top shape.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's one thing I love about red, when you apply that level of care to it or more it looks killer!

Only downside is the extra care due to fading from the sun, but worth every bit of effort to keep it in tip top shape.
I don't think these lacquered metallics will fade in sunlight ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I forgot to mention, I started with the snowfoam.
I love my foam gun also...it almost makes washing the car fun.

Anchorman....please let me know how long the Collinite lasts on your car. The product is not expensive here in the states and I have heard good thinks about it. I was thinking about Collinite 845 in particular.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did the roof and the bonnet (hood) and I've waxed the rest of it. I'm going to visit a friend in Scotland who wants me to wait to do the rest. He uses Collenite which is expensive and the whole car will get done. I've used Meguires leather care for the seats and Meguires interior cleaner for the dash. It's the best I've come across for not leaving a waxy residue and it's cheap from Walmart.

It's going dark here now but will take a photo tomorrow.
Anchorman,

Thank you for all the great tips. We are going to make a trip to the store to look for some of those products.

BTW, Thanks Anchorman for all your useful resourcefulness both on this forum and UK forum. Its greatly appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anchorman,

Thank you for all the great tips. We are going to make a trip to the store to look for some of those products.

BTW, Thanks Anchorman for all your useful resourcefulness both on this forum and UK forum. Its greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks, that's nice and appreciated.

As promised, this is the car first thing this morning.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used Meguires back to black cream which I bought at Walmart. It was cheap but one of the better ones I've used as it isn't greasy. You just wipe it on then wipe off any excess with a microfibre.

·
Registered
193 Posts
303 Aerospace is also a good product for black plastic exterior trim pieces. 303 protects against fading.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice looking car Anchorman!!! I'm liking my CX3 so much my Miata is seeing a lot of garage time... in the nice weather!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love my foam gun also...it almost makes washing the car fun.

Anchorman....please let me know how long the Collinite lasts on your car. The product is not expensive here in the states and I have heard good thinks about it. I was thinking about Collinite 845 in particular.
An update on this. My mate reckons 476S is the way to go and he is pretty switched on when it comes to detailing. So I got a tin at £18 (about $25)

.....after washing today I saw some small scratches in the back door so I polished them out. The weather is horrible here, damp, miserable and dark. These are often the worst for adding wax but this stuff goes on a treat. You put it on and then get it off asap and certainly before it dries. It leaves a deep wet look shine - very nice;

It’s supposed to be very durable but I’ll report back at a later date to confirm.

Reactions: jtOttawa and Postal

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just ordered the Collinite 476S from Amazon. Thanks Anchor for the recommendation.

Reactions: Sarah

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can't wait to get pass this winter month to finally do a proper cleaning.. It's so hard to keep clean after a down pour.. Definitely, gotta invest in a foam gun for the summer months :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts