Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My infotainment system crashed for the first time while i was operating it.

Was connected to my phone via bluetooth, scrolling through songs then it died and a Mazda logo screen came on, no response from any input. This lasted for ~15 seconds then it rebooted.

Anyone experienced this? Maybe just a glitch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe customer infotainment dissatification will be a continuing problem within the Mazda lineup. Do you have the latest software version? I believe the latest is Infotainment software-update 56.00.230. Check with your dealer. Updates should be free and take about 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Mine crashed a couple of times at first but fingers crossed after a couple of hard resets, it hasn't done it.

You need to hold the nav, back and mute for about 10 seconds until it reboots.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My infotainment system crashed for the first time while i was operating it.

Was connected to my phone via bluetooth, scrolling through songs then it died and a Mazda logo screen came on, no response from any input. This lasted for ~15 seconds then it rebooted.

Anyone experienced this? Maybe just a glitch.
I had the same problem. Used to do it about once a week. Firmware update fixed it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine crashed a couple of times at first but fingers crossed after a couple of hard resets, it hasn't done it.

I always forget the sequence when I need to use it :(

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this, will remember for next time it freezes (hopefully not)

·
Registered
193 Posts

Mazda's version of Control-Alt-Delete?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Let's hope that Mazda soon releases a firmware update that will solve some of these irritating bugs in the system!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got in my car this evening to go get some dinner and my infotainment system is stuck in a boot loop. Tried shutting off the engine and restarting still does it. Tried the hard reset with the commander control buttons. It reset but immediately started doing the boot loop again. It is raining outside right now, but only a light rainfall. Not much wind either.

Any ideas?

Update:
I stopped at the dealership this morning. They tried to reflash it and said they couldn't get the flash process to even start because the CPU reboots before it gets a chance to run. So, they've considered the system essentially bricked and have ordered a new computer module to replace it. Said parts should arrive on Saturday. I had at least FM radio function (stuck on one station, but better than nothing) before I went in to the dealer, now I got nothing. Reverse camera still works well though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
New Mazda Connect CMU module arrived this morning. They installed it and updated it to OS version 55.00.760 NA N. Seems to be working so far.

Bummer is that it looks like they put a few scratches around the pocket where the display sits in the dash. Apparently the snap fit hardware they use is a royal pain to get out and it looks like the tech was probably using a screwdriver to pry it out. Got small scratches on both sides of the textured vinyl dash near bottom front corners of the display. Also one along the right-side seam of the panel behind the screen. Nothing major, but I noticed it. I don't think it's bad enough that I'm going to ask for a whole new dash which could create more problems than it's worth. The tech also left greasy finger prints on the inside of the windshield. I had a dry clean microfiber cloth with me in the car, but it just smeared the grease. Didn't have any auto glass cleaner with me, so I'll have to get that out when I get home.

<sigh> More proof for my belief that these Mazda techs around here are hacks.

Anyway, it's working so far. I did find something on the work order that was interesting though. They noted that apparently there is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) out for this Mazda Connect issue that I didn't know about. TSB # 09-030/15.

Edit: Looks like that TSB is simply saying who to contact for Mazda Connect issues.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiqqNjF9frMAhVWDlIKHe4pB1AQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fam.mazdaserviceinfo.com%2Fmazdaesi%2Findex%3Fpage%3Ddetail_pagelet%26id%3DTSB5063%26actionPrint%3Dprint&usg=AFQjCNFyva4N_cZgwNSHph4i4bQ_VkQDiQ&sig2=lVsD74jz9I1AqdlRSW1-_w

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a 2016 CX-3 Grand Touring and the infotainment constantly reboots, between 2 and 8 times, but only on cold mornings. 2 weeks ago we went to the dealer to report it and they did a hard reset and updated the OS to the latest version. That helped for 2 days, then the issue came back. We then scheduled an all day appointment with them, for the following week, to leave the car so they can work with the Mazda tech line on the issue. Both the dealer, and Mazda, decided that they should replace the entire CMU/Infotainment screen. Which was done yesterday. Sadly, the unit rebooted 3 times on my wife's drive to work this morning... which is only 20 a minute drive. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've offered the dealer to keep the car, multiple days as long as we can have a loaner, so that the Tech can take the car home and see what it does on his ride in. But other than that, I'm not sure what else can be done. I used to work in car stereo, years ago, and to me it seems like a loose connection that makes itself present on cold days... when the wires are more brittle.

We also own a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring and a 2017 Miata RF LE, neither of which have this problem.

Had anyone actually been able to solve an issue like this?

Greg

·
Registered
493 Posts
My wife has a 2016 CX-3 Grand Touring and the infotainment constantly reboots, between 2 and 8 times, but only on cold mornings. 2 weeks ago we went to the dealer to report it and they did a hard reset and updated the OS to the latest version. That helped for 2 days, then the issue came back. We then scheduled an all day appointment with them, for the following week, to leave the car so they can work with the Mazda tech line on the issue. Both the dealer, and Mazda, decided that they should replace the entire CMU/Infotainment screen. Which was done yesterday. Sadly, the unit rebooted 3 times on my wife's drive to work this morning... which is only 20 a minute drive. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've offered the dealer to keep the car, multiple days as long as we can have a loaner, so that the Tech can take the car home and see what it does on his ride in. But other than that, I'm not sure what else can be done. I used to work in car stereo, years ago, and to me it seems like a loose connection that makes itself present on cold days... when the wires are more brittle.

We also own a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring and a 2017 Miata RF LE, neither of which have this problem.

Had anyone actually been able to solve an issue like this?

Greg
I am actually documenting my troubleshooting/repair process with this and so far my culprit has been the navigation unit. If you start it on a cold morning it most likely will not fully load navigation and will restart until the car warms up (aka stops rebooting), when the car is "warmed up" youll see that navigation will be working and at that point I confirmed it will not reboot after that until the next cold start. Also tried it without the sd card and I did not have the rebooting issue. This was after the screen and cmu were replaced and everything updated to the max. You may or may not have the same issue but if the same situation can me replicated its most likely that we have the same problem. I am awaiting a report on what they will do with the navigation unit in terms of "repair". Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am actually documenting my troubleshooting/repair process with this and so far my culprit has been the navigation unit. If you start it on a cold morning it most likely will not fully load navigation and will restart until the car warms up (aka stops rebooting), when the car is "warmed up" youll see that navigation will be working and at that point I confirmed it will not reboot after that until the next cold start. Also tried it without the sd card and I did not have the rebooting issue. This was after the screen and cmu were replaced and everything updated to the max. You may or may not have the same issue but if the same situation can me replicated its most likely that we have the same problem. I am awaiting a report on what they will do with the navigation unit in terms of "repair". Hope that helps a bit.
That actually makes a lot of sense. And probably the only aspect of the Infotainment system we haven't looked at. Since the entire Nav system is on the SD card, it won't even try to boot those features when the card is not inserted. I'll try this too and report back. My guess is, if that is the cause, a new SD Card might solve the issue. I don't think there is an actual Nav unit in the car. If you buy a Mazda without Nav, all you need to do is purchase an genuine Mazda navigation SD Card and pop it in, then you have Nav.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts