Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited for months for the CX-3 to arrive. Finally, last week, found the exact car I wanted (AWD, Grand Touring, Red) and went to do a test drive. To my astonishment (shared by the saleswoman), it had no power seat for the driver. As a result, I sat way too low for a decent view of the road. SOoooo disappointing.

I'm a very short person, currently drive a VW Tiguan stick shift. That doesn't have a power seat either, but the manual adjusts to a great driving position, so who cares. Unfortunately, the CX-3 does NOT adjust enough, so I care a lot. I previously test drove the CX-5 and found the same problem with the Sport version, which had only a manual seat. The Touring and Grand Touring power seats were fine, however, so I assumed the same would be true for the CX-3 (and I really wanted something smaller than the CX-5).

As a result, I'm out of the market for this year. Hoping against hope that Mazda with fix this and add a power driver's seat to the CX-3. I'd prefer a more powerful engine as well, but would buy in as is if I could see the road well enough.

Anyone else see this as an absurd flaw?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I waited for months for the CX-3 to arrive. Finally, last week, found the exact car I wanted (AWD, Grand Touring, Red) and went to do a test drive. To my astonishment (shared by the saleswoman), it had no power seat for the driver. As a result, I sat way too low for a decent view of the road. SOoooo disappointing.

I'm a very short person, currently drive a VW Tiguan stick shift. That doesn't have a power seat either, but the manual adjusts to a great driving position, so who cares. Unfortunately, the CX-3 does NOT adjust enough, so I care a lot. I previously test drove the CX-5 and found the same problem with the Sport version, which had only a manual seat. The Touring and Grand Touring power seats were fine, however, so I assumed the same would be true for the CX-3 (and I really wanted something smaller than the CX-5).

As a result, I'm out of the market for this year. Hoping against hope that Mazda with fix this and add a power driver's seat to the CX-3. I'd prefer a more powerful engine as well, but would buy in as is if I could see the road well enough.

It was a deal killer for my wife as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How tall are you ? Just wondering because we might be interested in the CX3 and my wife is only 5' tall.

Where you able to adjust to the max height by pumping the lever?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm ~5'3" and have an eight-vertebrae spinal fusion with acute spinal deformities. Most of the height I have is in my legs with a shortened torso, so almost EVERY car gives me visibility issues. Unfortunately Mazdas tend to have a low seating position (get a little closer/grip the road a bit more for the "Zoom-zoom"). Fortunately the CX-3 is a very easy car to work on if you want to raise the seat.

The front seats are held in place by four threaded bolts going through two rails into threaded holes. There are no nuts or fasteners on the other side and the studs are not chassis-welded as in some cars. The bolt heads are simple torx head. You can get a complete set of sockets at any hardware store.

The bolts are factory tight, so expect to have to use a good bit of force or use a cheater bar on a socket wrench (we didn't need the bar and a standard wrench was enough leverage, but ladies might need the extra "oomph" to get it loose). Then we stuck 1/4" thick, 1" internal diameter tube steel blocks under the rails. The material was what just happened to be handy on the scrap pile and easy to work with a bandsaw. We secured the seat back in place with longer bolts of some laughably high grade I can't even remember, but they're above aircraft grade. I happen to work near Boeing, so there are fastener suppliers with crazy materials everywhere. I wouldn't go to Home Depot and get the cheapest galvanized shed bolt you can find, but anything of good tensile strength should do fine. Someone here may know the exact characteristics. The important thing is to make sure you match the thread exactly, so if you take the bolt in to the fastener store and/or verify the thread with calipers you should be OK.

I asked my dealer about this when purchasing the car, and they said it was not an issue. Another important thing to bear in mind is not changing the throw/range of the seat rails. Mazdas have a sensor that measures the seat's distance from the steering wheel for things like deploying the airbags. So if you need to sit higher, this should be OK. If you need to sit closer, there might be other issues. I honestly think this is safer, as my head and torso are now in a much more normal position for things like side/head airbag deployment. And the materials we used are so strong I know they won't prove the weak point in any crash I'm likely to survive.

And that's the final thing to bear in mind. With my massive extant problems and bone density, any kind of crash that deploys all the airbags or threatens to rip the seat loose is likely to kill or cripple me *anyway*, and I wanna drive this car comfortably- so I YOLO'ed it up. I am not a lawyer or expert on car safety regulations in your area- just some short guy on the Internet (I mean, uhhh... billionaire Marine astronaut cowboy Sasquatch wrestler, PhD). You may have different concerns and should talk to your dealer or a professional shop in your area, but this was quick, cheap, and easy.

Here's a picture. I know this is raw steel and we're going to take it back out to treat the blocks so I don't get rust stains inside, but we were just aiming for a proof of concept and to see how it worked. Works great. If you *really* can't see out I wouldn't buy based on what you "might" be able to do, but I just wanted to show how it can be overcome and say it's a lot easier than it is in other vehicle brands/models.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I waited for months for the CX-3 to arrive. Finally, last week, found the exact car I wanted (AWD, Grand Touring, Red) and went to do a test drive. To my astonishment (shared by the saleswoman), it had no power seat for the driver.
No 'power seat'...but you can adjust it 'up'. I could. There are two levers...the one at the back as I recall let me adjust the height up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just under 5'; Seat Adjusted to Max, Still not enough

How tall are you ? Just wondering because we might be interested in the CX3 and my wife is only 5' tall.

Where you able to adjust to the max height by pumping the lever?
Sorry to say it is unlikely the CX3 will work for your 5' tall wife. I'm an inch under 5', but my legs are short and my torso more like someone 5'3". I ratched-up the seat as far as possible, but still not high enough for my taste.

I'm very familiar with this style of seat, since it is what I have in my current vehicle, a VW Tiguan. Unfortunately, the Mazdas do not come up as high as the Tiguan at max height, hence the problem.

I can't fathom why Mazda designed a small car that a small person can't drive comfortably.

Re the suggestion (given by another poster) to adjust the seat bolts, I'm unwilling to buy a car that has to be retrofitted to allow me to drive it. I'm hoping that Mazda will hear enough complaints on this issue to fix it soon, or at the very least by the next model year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm 5'2 and have no issues with the height level, granted I have it pumped up all the way. Though I did enjoy testing out the powers seats when I sat in the 2016 GT CX-5 at the auto show.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That spacer was a smart move and something that should only cost a few bucks!

I've had vehicles with and without power seats so for me this is something I can put up with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem! I'm a 5'5" woman.
I have a brand new 2015 CX3.
It was surprising the seats are manual instead of power; especially in view of all the other cool stuff.
I didn't care until the highest level was not high enough!
Right now I'm sitting on a cushion until I take it to the dealer's to have it checked out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I miss a lumbar. For the most part my wife doesn't have as much of a problem getting comfy, but she does lift the seat as high as it will go. If she was the full time driver, I would have to look at spacers as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The seats are an extremely expensive part of production costs and have to meet a lot of legislative requirements. I don’t like the bolstering which I find very uncomfortable and the anchorbutt isn’t particularly large. However, I test drove the car and I knew it wasn’t perfect so I’m not complaining - it was my choice, Mazda didn’t hold a gun to my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Counterpoint: I was specifically attracted to the manual seats. As the primary driver, I almost never adjust the seating position, so why add the extra weight, cost, and potential malfunction of electric motors? If I do need to move the seat, manual adjustment is faster, anyway.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm with you, plepak. I can do without the added complexity. Same for a power lift gate which seems to be all the rage. Added weight and theatrics are not needed by me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't expect a memory seat but hoped at least a driver-side power seat for GT. Perhaps it may be added during a minor model change in a few years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I do not think I have ever bought a car that had power seats, so it is not a big deal. My GTI had powered lumbar, which is nice, but that's it. My wife's Kia Sorento has them and I wish it had a memory function for the separate key fobs because I have to go through a lot of adjustment (rrrrrr, eeeeee, wrrrrr...) whenever I drive. By the way, I am 6'-2" and she is 5' flat, so there is a lot of adjustment. She has yet to drive my car (or past cars 'cause she does not do stick) but I'll let her see if she can adjust the seat and be comfortable. Report coming soon...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm 5'6" and find the seats easy to adjust for to see just fine.

Power seats just add more weight and complexity.

Simple is better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I do not think I have ever bought a car that had power seats, so it is not a big deal. My GTI had powered lumbar, which is nice, but that's it. My wife's Kia Sorento has them and I wish it had a memory function for the separate key fobs because I have to go through a lot of adjustment (rrrrrr, eeeeee, wrrrrr...) whenever I drive. By the way, I am 6'-2" and she is 5' flat, so there is a lot of adjustment. She has yet to drive my car (or past cars 'cause she does not do stick) but I'll let her see if she can adjust the seat and be comfortable. Report coming soon...
My wife is about 5' as well (maybe a bit higher, but not much) and she fits perfectly in our CX-3. We tested with a manual transmission, but she sits even better in our automatic.
So she should be able to find a good driving position :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm 5'6" and find the seats easy to adjust for to see just fine.

Power seats just add more weight and complexity.

Simple is better.
Complexity? lol come on. You might as well ask for roll-down windows and manual door locks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Complexity? lol come on. You might as well ask for roll-down windows and manual door locks.
yeah, ha ha...21-way power seats with heat, massage, inflatable bolsters and lumbar gone mad will toast your behind and vibrate your shoulders into mush and squash your kidneys while pushing your head through the moonroof.

:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts