Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and have come across these Pirellis for a really good price:
Pirelli*P Zero All Season Plus

Yeah I know these are meant for performance cars, but there is no downside in putting these on the CX-3, right?

Also the size is 225/50R18 as opposed to the stock 215/50R18 so I hope that won't be a problem.

What do you guys think?

· Registered
871 Posts
I had those on my GTI and they are great tires. I'd buy them again.

As for the size, 225/50/18 is a perfect substitute for the 215's and what I'll opt for when the time comes.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to a couple people from TireRack.com and they said to use 225/45R18 as the 225/50R18 will probably be too big. That's a bummer because I absolutely HATE the look of the 45 vs the 50. It looks too skinny on the wheel and leaves a huge gap in the wheel well. A couple people have posted pics of their CX-3 with that tire size and they just look so out of place, sorry.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's exactly what I thought, but perhaps because it is slightly bigger you run the risk of the tires hitting the car or something? I'll ask around some shops and see if anyone says anything different.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another pro from a tire website responded that 225/50R18 is indeed a suitable replacement. Now I need to decide between getting the Continental TrueContact or the General Altimax RT43. The Pirelli apparently has pretty bad snow performance.

· Registered
142 Posts
I recently picked up my 2017 CX-3 GT and did a quick check on Tirerack.com for the 215/50/18 size (Geolander series are okay but I have never been a huge fan of Yokohama). To say that I was somewhat surprised to see only three (3!!!) tires listed for that size (2 are winter only) is an gross understatement. My question: how would switching to 225/50/18 affect things like the speedometer, fuel usage calculations, things like that? I assume a Mazda dealer service area would not freak-out and tell me deviations violate my warranty. I previously owned Honda/Acura products, and their service folks would always say stuff like that. Thank you.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The difference is 1.5% I believe, so any difference in speed and fuel calculation is hardly noticeable.

I used this website, click the "tire comparison", put in the info, and see the difference:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I honestly haven't noticed any difference as far as fuel consumption or anything else, I'm still averaging between 26-27 mpg depending on how I drive from one week to another.

I can't speak on warranty, I haven't had to take the car in for warranty work. I'm only planning on keeping this car for another year or so, so I will hopefully not need any warranty work done.

· Registered
747 Posts
After your 225's wear 10-20K they'll be the same size as new 215's >:)

Me, I loved the Continental TrueContacts I had on my Prius ... quiet.

· Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The availability of sizes by brands vary by where you live. In the US, we only have Yokohama. :( And they are expensive.
And they're garbage. :D

There are several tyre brands on market in 215 50 R18:
Those are all winter tires by the way. We have some in the US as well.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
If you have dedicated winters, I'd recommend going with a decent summer tire. That way you maximize your braking and avoidance maneuvers (just tell your SO's that spending money on tires is for their safety!).

I had Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires on my Infiniti and really liked them (even raced on them a few times). They were a little more "thumpy" over bridge expansion joints than I liked (almost sounded like bouncing a basket ball) but were probably an order of magnitude quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid tires that came on the car.

· Registered
90 Posts
And they're garbage. :D

Those are all winter tires by the way. We have some in the US as well.
You're right, here is the sommertyres. i have mounted the Michelin Primacy 3 on my CX-3

Attachments

· Registered
871 Posts
Buy them on the internet, thats how I bought my Michelin (there is a big, big world outside the US You know ;-)
Order tires from overseas an pay what is likely outrageous shipping costs - no thanks! Then if you happen to need a replacement, all that hassle in trying to find one - no way!

225/50 is within the margin to run without issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.