Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deep breath...

I wrote a month or so back about how I though the proximity alert on my CX-3 was a bit flaky (Dodgy, even. Hi Anchorman). I brought it to the dealer and they ran the standard Mazda diagnostic and said they couldn't see anything.
Of course repairmen never want to take it out for a drive -- liability issues, I'm guessing. So I took them at their word and went on with my life. Still a great ride despite all that.

Last week the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) went on and would not go off. Back to the dealer. More diagnostics run, general car firmware upgraded. Could't find anything, but... they ran a newly updated Mazda diagnostic system and found that the iActivsense camera system built into the windshield is actually in need of a hardware upgrade. Said camera upgrade is on order from Mazda Canada (for whatever reasons). Let's see what that offers. If anyone else has had theirs upgraded I'd love to hear your experiences.

Meanwhile airbag warning light came back on the next day. Anyone else had any issues with theirs?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Not had any issues and it's the first I've heard about the hardware - please keep us informed.

There is an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat base. You don't carry anything on the seat do you? Bags or any other items will put the light on. Has the seat ever been subject to any impact or anything spiller on it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm curious if the dealer noted any VIN range that may need the hardware upgrade. I wonder if this would fall in recall territory or not. I'm sure us early adopters are curious if we're impacted or not!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My fiancee's hyundai sonata had a occupant sensor underneath the front passeger seat that malfunctioned so her airbag light kept going off. We didn't think of it much at first, but eventually the airbag light and SRS light lit up on the dash. We would have had no airbags in the event of a collision so I think Mazda should really fix it as its a safety concern. If you have a front passenger, they should ride in the back seat as the front passenger airbags will not deploy when it detects a fault.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camera upgrade is supposed to be here later this week. Will let you know more then. The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that!

Passenger Airbag -- I sometimes keep items on the front seat, but nothing especially heavy. The light went on without anything on it at the time. No impacts and nothing spilled on it. I offer this not as a paranoid rant but as a heads up for anyone who is also experiencing this and freaking out. Mazda service initially tried to insinuate it was normal. I had the manual with me and put a stop to that immediately. More details to come.

Hoping these are remedied to my liking -- it's a fun car to drive around in despite these annoyances.

And a couple old maxims for us early adopters:

"Pioneers get the arrows. Settlers get the land."

"The cutting edge is the bleeding edge."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Deep breath...

Of course repairmen never want to take it out for a drive -- liability issues, I'm guessing. So I took them at their word and went on with my life. Still a great ride despite all that.

Last week the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) went on and would not go off. Back to the dealer. More diagnostics run, general car firmware upgraded. Could't find anything, but... they ran a newly updated Mazda diagnostic system and found that the iActivsense camera system built into the windshield is actually in need of a hardware upgrade. Said camera upgrade is on order from Mazda Canada (for whatever reasons). Let's see what that offers. If anyone else has had theirs upgraded I'd love to hear your experiences.

Meanwhile airbag warning light came back on the next day. Anyone else had any issues with theirs?
That seems a bit odd that a Mazda dealer mechanic would not want to test drive a CX3 once they have checked out the airbag issue and confirmed nothing was wrong. Any reputable mechanic should have insurance along with your own insurance to cover the car for damage while road testing the vehicle for mechanical soundness. In fact I would be pretty concerned if I went in for a full service oil change, electronics such as airbag test, etc and the mechanic was too lazy to road test my car.

The only scenario I can think of where it would not be safe to drive the CX3 is if that airbag light stayed on as the owners manual states you need to get to a mechanic ASAP as your system might not function in an accident or deploy without warning.

Maybe you just got a bad CX3 from the factory that has slipped passed quality control. If you end up having more problems with other system I would be demanding the dealer replace the car IMO.

The only time I see a red airbag light on my CX3 is when I push the start button and it illuminates for a second. Although this one time it stayed illuminated for maybe 2 seconds and then was fine so maybe the computer was doing some random diagnostic check.

·
Registered
193 Posts
CX-ME stated: The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that.

Peek??!!?? Snap a cell phone picture!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Smarties,

Yes, I'm aware the airbag light goes on briefly at start-up. In my case it's just not going off. The red warning airbag light -- which is separate and to the left of the airbag off warning light-- goes on and then off when I open and close the glove compartment. Odd.

I'll know more about this and the iActiv camera upgrade on Monday. I gather today's service technicians (or maybe just the U.S. techs) place too much reliance on their diagnostic software and too little on actual repair smarts. Seeing this increasingly at the Apple Stores as well.[/end editorial]

As one of the first U.S. buyers I'm not surprised to see issues like this pop up and I am insisting they be remediated.

That seems a bit odd that a Mazda dealer mechanic would not want to test drive a CX3 once they have checked out the airbag issue and confirmed nothing was wrong. Any reputable mechanic should have insurance along with your own insurance to cover the car for damage while road testing the vehicle for mechanical soundness. In fact I would be pretty concerned if I went in for a full service oil change, electronics such as airbag test, etc and the mechanic was too lazy to road test my car.

The only scenario I can think of where it would not be safe to drive the CX3 is if that airbag light stayed on as the owners manual states you need to get to a mechanic ASAP as your system might not function in an accident or deploy without warning.

Maybe you just got a bad CX3 from the factory that has slipped passed quality control. If you end up having more problems with other system I would be demanding the dealer replace the car IMO.

The only time I see a red airbag light on my CX3 is when I push the start button and it illuminates for a second. Although this one time it stayed illuminated for maybe 2 seconds and then was fine so maybe the computer was doing some random diagnostic check.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CX-ME stated: The technician had a print-out from Mazda HQ showing issues which have been detected to date in the complete 2016 Mazda line. I'd love to have an extended peek at that.

Peek??!!?? Snap a cell phone picture!!!!

:D

I don't think he was going to let me do that, sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light (located above the climate control knobs) is always illuminated when nobody & nothing is in the passenger seat. It stays illuminated for the whole drive. No red airbag light on the main cluster though, and the "Passenger Airbag X2" warning light does not appear when I actually have a passenger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
G'day Smarties,

Yes, I'm aware the airbag light goes on briefly at start-up. In my case it's just not going off. The red warning airbag light -- which is separate and to the left of the airbag off warning light-- goes on and then off when I open and close the glove compartment. Odd.

I'll know more about this and the iActiv camera upgrade on Monday. I gather today's service technicians (or maybe just the U.S. techs) place too much reliance on their diagnostic software and too little on actual repair smarts. Seeing this increasingly at the Apple Stores as well.[/end editorial]

As one of the first U.S. buyers I'm not surprised to see issues like this pop up and I am insisting they be remediated.
It is likely there is some sort of wiring fault or the airbag has not been installed properly if I was guessing. I think real mechanics are a dying bread replaced with connecting the car to a computer and the computer telling the mechanic what to do without the real person using common sense. There is generally no repair or troubleshooting of defective parts IMO with the ideology of rip the part out and replace it with a new one.

That is my one gripe with Mazda cars is the computer is calculating a lot of mechanical/electrical data from the car to keep things running but as the car owner you do not have access to that information to make an informed decision until one of those warning lights illuminate. I do miss the oil, coolant temperature, voltage, amongst other gauges.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I note the manual for the Canadian CX-3 states that the CX-3 has an 'occupant classification system' that determines the status of the Airbag OFF x2 warning light, and that: 'If the front passenger occupant classification sensor is normal, the indicator light turns on when the ignition is switched ON. The light turns off after a few seconds. Then, the indicator light turns on or is off under the following conditions: (see chart on page 2-53, which indicates that if the seat is empty, the light will re-illuminate and stay on).

https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en/pdf/manuals/cx-3/cx-3_2016my_8eh2ea15b_edition1.pdf

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks TallGuyNW, Smarties CX-3, and jtOttawa.

I read the U.S. manual back in August when I got the car and have referred to it many times since then.
I understand what you've pointed out about how an unoccupied seat causing the "airbagx2" light to remain on. The oddest issue is the red airbag warning light going on briefly when I open and close the glovebox hatch.

The i-Activsense forward camera was replaced/upgraded at the dealer on Minday. No major differences but it _seems_ to be more fine tuned in terms of measuring distance to the car in front of me. I am currently checking to see if/how there is anything changed with the new camera's lane warning detection which is what the Mazda USA "CX-3 issues book" says is the major reason for the upgrade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what I see in a quick search of other forums there may be a connector for the airbag system behind the glove box - which, if loose, you may be jostling when you open and close the glove box. The glove box should be easily removable, and if there is a fault, your dealer should be able to isolate it with little difficulty.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Just a word of caution. It is easy to drop the glovebox out and you can see the airbag module directly above. If you see any loose wires or wriggle the plug, make sure the battery has been disconnected for more than a couple of minutes to let the power drain out of the capacitors because if that airbag goes off, you'll think you've just stopped a punch off a very angry Hulk while you are that close to the dash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Absolutely, thanks Anchorman - I didn't mean to suggest that a DIY'er should go anywhere near the airbags - but rather that it should be relatively straightforward for a Honda Tech to diagnose and access. From what you know of the system, is it possible the opening and closing glovebox could be triggering the warning light? That is, are the wires/connectors for the airbag in close proximity to the glovebox door, or could they be jostled by opening and closing it if loose? I have also read some posts on other Mazda forums that suggest there is even some sort of wiring relationship with the glovebox light and the warning lights, but that didn't make sense to me so I discounted it.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Absolutely, thanks Anchorman - I didn't mean to suggest that a DIY'er should go anywhere near the airbags - but rather that it should be relatively straightforward for a Honda Tech to diagnose and access. From what you know of the system, is it possible the opening and closing glovebox could be triggering the warning light? That is, are the wires/connectors for the airbag in close proximity to the glovebox door, or could they be jostled by opening and closing it if loose? I have also read some posts on other Mazda forums that suggest there is even some sort of wiring relationship with the glovebox light and the warning lights, but that didn't make sense to me so I discounted it.
Keep an eye on those Honda Techs, they turn up everywhere!;)

I know you weren’t suggesting he should fiddle but I wanted to warn him just in case he did!!!

I’ve just been out and taken this photo. It shows the airbag housing (anything to do with the SRS system on a car is coloured yellow) so you can see how close it is as you correctly suggested.

Also worthy of note is the location of the second airbag cut off switch which is there in case somebody wants to fit a baby seat. If that is activated, the warning light for the second seat will illuminate so its worth checking that it is in the position shown in the photo. That makes two things in the vicinity of the glove box that need checking.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
US models don't have the airbag kill switch. I wondered what that blank was for.
We could write a book on these regional variations. I’m beginning to wonder if mine IS a Honda with Mazda badges!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts