Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow members,
I have a 2016 CX-3 AWD GX. I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted the I-Stop system or if it is even possible. If so how much would it cost?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm wondering why you would want to go to the expense to retrofit this system into your existing vehicle. From Mazda's website they claim this system gives an 8% improvement in fuel economy, so you would need to keep your 5 year old car for about another 10 years to see sufficient fuel cost savings to cover the installation cost.

I would suggest to give your dealer a call and ask them if it's even possible. They could provide you with a definitive answer on whether it can be done, and at what cost.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Malks. I usually keep my cars for 20+ years. I did contact my local dealer service department and they said none of their vehicles had I-Stop so maybe it isn't even available here in Canada. It might just be a European option to meet CO emissions.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for your input Malks. I usually keep my cars for 20+ years. I did contact my local dealer service department and they said none of their vehicles had I-Stop so maybe it isn't even available here in Canada. It might just be a European option to meet CO emissions.
I'm sure many European owners hate the i-Stop "feature". Unfortunately it seems to be installed on many / most European models these days in order to supposedly improve the fuel efficiency readings to help them meet European regulations. In Mazda's case - and maybe other manufacturers - it can only be switched off by an owner for each journey and defaults to be on the next time the engine is started. Often, especially in colder months, the requirements to be met for the i-Stop to actually work aren't met so it's benefits in real life driving are very minimal imho. Bear in mind it only operates for about 2 minutes when the car is stopped and the clutch pushed down fully (on manual models) or brake pedal held down firmly (on automatic models) before the engine automatically restarts. I would guess the cost of retrofit on a car would be in the 000's of dollars / pounds were it possible or even feasible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks st3v3cx-3. Very informative. Will close this thread and not look into it further.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just adding in my 2cents since I also plan on keeping this car long term.

Honestly if you plan on keeping the car long term try to avoid as much tech/features as possible unless you are perfectly content with paying high cost of repair bills when sensors and on a side note, the modern safety tech in almost all new cars (automatic braking etc) will start to fail. The other frustration people have with istop is 3yr replacement of the proprietary battery which is alot more expensive than regular batteries needed to crank the starter to turn the car back on so you are dodging as bullet here if you have a as close to basic model as possible.

This kind of stuff is also baked into the cars computer which at this point is anyones guess which module that is referring to but in the US for example, having an issue with one system(usually involved cel but also safety and engine stuff which this would fall under) is automatic fail for inspection which is roughly every 2 ish years depending on the area. It is not something that is easily swappable without replacing large components and probably entire dash/wiring/computer system etc.

Bare in mind that this system is solely done for the purpose of milking mpg specifically city mileage for cars during testing so they can advertise the cars having higher mileages. The cost you will be paying for replacing that starter battery is going to negate all cost of fuel saved benefits from your car turning off and on at lights presuming you dont prematurely end the starter with the additional cranks being done over time also.The proprietary battery is also whats annoying because it means 2 things. 1) has to almost always be a mazda battery because laws and such making it unlikely aftermarket replacement will be around. 2) there will come a point they will stop making it since theyll have newer versions for future cars and makes no sense maintaining legacy parts for us stragglers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts