Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda MAXX CX-3 FWD SkyActiv-G
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To quote 4-11. "The system provides improved fuel economy, reduced exhaust gas emissions and eliminates idling noise while the engine is stopped."
Ok. Every time it restarts the engine you lose battery life, you increase wear on the starter motor, flywheel structure and engine.
OK. There's a switch to turn it off. Only a one time solution though. After every stopping exercise you have to remember to switch it off again. For this "old man memory" that's a bit rough.
OK. I don't know about the towns you all live in, but, there seems to be more STOP signs popping up where we are, and it really is only a small town and the CX-3 is just to peddle around town. I can see possible advantages in cities with heavy traffic. But that's about it.
OK. The fix. Put the i-Stop switch in a ziplock type bag and secure it out of harms way. Job done. Effectiveness proven. If we go to the city (heaven forbid) I can easily remount it. One screw.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yea sadly the sole purpose of this system was a PR advertising campaign to act like it was a modern feature people had to have and also for oems to pump mpg ratings for city driving. If anything people got screwed more when they realize start stop systems have a separate battety that's usually proprietary size(must buy from dealer or special exclusive sizing) and costs a large amount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea sadly the sole purpose of this system was a PR advertising campaign to act like it was a modern feature people had to have and also for oems to pump mpg ratings for city driving. If anything people got screwed more when they realize start stop systems have a separate battety that's usually proprietary size(must buy from dealer or special exclusive sizing) and costs a large amount.
Ummm, have you not clearly written something, or am I missing something? Both of our cars have stop/start and only one battery. However the Subie at least has a permanent switch to turn off the feature, which now automatically gets used at startup (unlike the CX-3 whose micro-switch is now in a plastic baggy).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not sure if or when the cx3 got it implemented that way but oems now are transitioning to a secondary battery for start stop if they didnt already. I dont have it so i couldnt care less for it or how it works in the cx3 and thats how i wanted it to be when i got the car. Just another expense and repair waiting.

If you have the single battety then you must buy a special deep cycle start stop proprietary battery since a normal one will die off within a year+ and not hold a charge anymore. Either way it ends up being an increased expense with little to no benefit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if or when the cx3 got it implemented that way but oems now are transitioning to a secondary battery for start stop if they didnt already. I dont have it so i couldnt care less for it or how it works in the cx3 and thats how i wanted it to be when i got the car. Just another expense and repair waiting.

If you have the single battety then you must buy a special deep cycle start stop proprietary battery since a normal one will die off within a year+ and not hold a charge anymore. Either way it ends up being an increased expense with little to no benefit.
Explained in a vague way. You are secretive, don't know where you are. Haven't seen or heard of any such implementation in Oz, yet. The need to buy a special deep cycle start stop proprietary battery IMHO is rubbish.
CU Coop's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To quote 4-11. "The system provides improved fuel economy, reduced exhaust gas emissions and eliminates idling noise while the engine is stopped."
Ok. Every time it restarts the engine you lose battery life, you increase wear on the starter motor, flywheel structure and engine.
OK. There's a switch to turn it off. Only a one time solution though. After every stopping exercise you have to remember to switch it off again. For this "old man memory" that's a bit rough.
OK. I don't know about the towns you all live in, but, there seems to be more STOP signs popping up where we are, and it really is only a small town and the CX-3 is just to peddle around town. I can see possible advantages in cities with heavy traffic. But that's about it.
OK. The fix. Put the i-Stop switch in a ziplock type bag and secure it out of harms way. Job done. Effectiveness proven. If we go to the city (heaven forbid) I can easily remount it. One screw.
Here is a link to how the i-stop works and methods to disable. How to disable the Mazda i-stop system

Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. Tks Dale P. Have had no problems or concerns with the "Hood switch" "bagging" and it's simple, cheap and easily reversible. Seems a no brainer to me compared with the things you've thrown up. Cheers Al.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts