Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
You should honestly complain to Mazda about this dealership. I'm sure they don't appreciate having a dealer like this tarnishing their name.

Does activating sport mode do anything?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah its really unfortunate as this is my first self-bought car too. Every time I avoid an accident I think back and wish I could go back in time and get the GTI instead.. I've gotten to the point where I actually use the manual gear selector to avoid using the auto transmission, as the auto transmission takes too long for me to overtake anyone / do maneuvers safely. LOL.

I will mention it again at the next service..so far this dealership doesn't have me wanting to come back for a repeat dealership-scumbag sales agent purchase!
Masterwares....Sorry to hear your having problems with your first car or should I say your first dealership.

Call MazdaUSA (if you are US based) and open a formal complaint. All states have lemon laws but you have to start documenting. The only time I ever get transmission lag with my CX-3 GT, and only rarely, is when I first start my car and shift it from reverse to drive. When I depress the pedal I can get a slight lag...but it is very rare and ONLY on first start. You can also ask the dealers mechanics to drive with you in a CX-3 from their lot to compare your car to another CX-3.

I had a problem with a new Subaru that the dealer couldn't fix and after much persistence and documentation Subaru USA (NOT the dealer) replaced the car. Find out your regions lemon laws and start documenting with Mazda USA (or your regions Mazda headquarters). Make sure to have the dealer print out a record of every time you bring the car in. BTW... I also second guessed my Suby purchase however the same model replacement Suby was one the best cars I've ever owned - so hang in there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You should honestly complain to Mazda about this dealership. I'm sure they don't appreciate having a dealer like this tarnishing their name.

Does activating sport mode do anything?
I don't think theres a difference.

Masterwares....Sorry to hear your having problems with your first car or should I say your first dealership.

Call MazdaUSA (if you are US based) and open a formal complaint. All states have lemon laws but you have to start documenting. The only time I ever get transmission lag with my CX-3 GT, and only rarely, is when I first start my car and shift it from reverse to drive. When I depress the pedal I can get a slight lag...but it is very rare and ONLY on first start. You can also ask the dealers mechanics to drive with you in a CX-3 from their lot to compare your car to another CX-3.

I had a problem with a new Subaru that the dealer couldn't fix and after much persistence and documentation Subaru USA (NOT the dealer) replaced the car. Find out your regions lemon laws and start documenting with Mazda USA (or your regions Mazda headquarters). Make sure to have the dealer print out a record of every time you bring the car in. BTW... I also second guessed my Suby purchase however the same model replacement Suby was one the best cars I've ever owned - so hang in there.

Yes I am USA based. I also have that first start lag as well. I also tried having the mechanic drive with me but since this is a random event was not able to reproduce it.

I will probably just end up dealing with the issue and next time go with a more reputable brand. I don't have time or money to continuously fight with dealers etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Funny reading some of the posts in this thread. Hey...I bought it knowing what the capabilities and limitations were... so there is no reason to gripe about ANYTHING. No features or functions randomly changed overnight. So should I compare the accelleration of the CX-3 with my Viper and post about how I feel disappointed? "If only it had this and did that...." At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the form, function, fit & finish on an entry-level CUV with a technologically leading AWD system. And its perfect to ultimately hand off to my 16 yrs old daugher in a few years when she heads off on her own. Since she has no basis of comparison, she absolutely loves everything about the car.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Funny reading some of the posts in this thread. Hey...I bought it knowing what the capabilities and limitations were... so there is no reason to gripe about ANYTHING.
There's no way to know EVERYTHING about a car just by researching it or test driving it for 10 minutes. Sometimes things creep up as you own the car. Sometimes when you're just researching the car or when you go to purchase it, out of excitement you're willing to overlook minor things wrong with it, such as the cup holder and armrest situation in my opinion which then later when the excitement dies down you start to say "yeah they fucked this up".

No I wouldn't complain about what its capabilities and limitations were such as overall size/space, because that's something that is clear from the moment you see the car so you accept it or reject it right then and there. And with an extended test drive you can get a good feel for how the car drives. But again certain other things you're going to discover after you buy it, and you WILL have a gripe about some minor things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After 2 years, I still really love my CX-3 - great handling, styling, fun to drive, well done fit and finish, and great options for this class of car and this price point, pretty good gas mileage (usually 32-34 mpg in mixed driving, as high as 42 mpg on a highway road trip), I find the controls easy to use, and don't have any problem with the console and cupholder (I'm 5'2" so it fits me and my arms nicely, with everything in reach)

But there are a few little things that could be better, if I ruled the world, or at least Mazda design

Improve ability to keep windshield clear in bad weather - the combination of weak wipers, and poor defrost configuration means that I often have more rain, fog or ice on my windshield than I would like. I've tried any number of settings and airflows, and have concluded it was just a poor design

Include Integrated traffic in the GPS - I really dislike having to mess with Maps on my iPhone to scope traffic, when it should just be integrated in the Nav system (the traffic monitoring the the Apps section is useless...it is usually just blank with one red dot when I try to use it, but if it does show a map, the it is too high level to be useful)

Add a few more storage spots to tuck things away...I find I always am looking for a little place to tuck a pass, or the frequent flyer card for my local coffee shop - things like that get in the way in the cupholder, but get lost in the glove compartment or side pocket.

The Bluetooth pairing/functionality can be a bit wonky...sometimes it's unresponsive when I start up the car...the phone is connected, but both the phone and the Nav system hang up in their handshake for 5 minutes or so, or when I want to move audio between the car to the phone, the switch audio output won't respond, so I wind up just turning off the car. Also the interface for playing music from my phone through bluetooth is clunky - takes forever to select something because you can't hone in by Letter, and it doesn't remember your last selection. I usually wind up just hooking it up through the USB for better functionality.

It's a bit noisy (though quieter than my previous, a Rav 4). I suspect when I change out the tires next year, I may get some improvements there.

But that's pretty much it.

If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the CX-3 again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Read all 29 pages of these complaints, seems Mazda did do some changes to the 2018 that have corrected a couple of these issues. I know on the GT model they have power seats with 2 memory functions. I am still reading and researching the CX3 before I buy.

anyone have any gripes with a 2018 US/Canada model?

·
Registered
7 Posts
One, no driver's power seat. This is more of a convenience thing, but my previous car had both driver and passenger power seats and its just something I miss now.
2018 GT has power seats. I know because we went lower spec because power seats take forever between the wife and I even with memory pre-sets. Manual adjust is so much faster. Both the wife and I preferred the manual seats.

Why couldn't they use a electronic parking brake or even a foot activated one.
This upsets me. EPB/EHB is the WORST, I repeat, the WORST thing ever done to cars. lol I'll gladly take less space if it means I keep the Handbrake!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read all 29 pages of these complaints, seems Mazda did do some changes to the 2018 that have corrected a couple of these issues. I know on the GT model they have power seats with 2 memory functions. I am still reading and researching the CX3 before I buy.

Drive the CHR, HRV, Kona, Renegade before you buy the Mazda. Trust me.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Drive the CHR, HRV, Kona, Renegade before you buy the Mazda. Trust me.
You didn’t trust yourself, why should anyone trust you?

Have you got a photo of your collection of cars all together?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You didn’t trust yourself, why should anyone trust you?

Have you got a photo of your collection of cars all together?

Because shopping around and thoroughly driving other cars will help you make a better decision? haha

Although, in the AWD Hatchback CX3 is tops... Just don't expect any SUVish quality's.

I have some images. I'll post it too my intro post. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts

Mazdaman I did the exact same thing lol. Twas a lot of reading!

Countries names for the trim lines are different and confused me at first when trying to compare notes here on the forums before buying (AU/UK/Asia).
Seems to me that the option improvements is one of the main gripes here; and Mazda has somewhat answered.

Of the 2018 Canadian GX, GS, and GT trims; a decision can be based on what you could live without from the GT down saving a bit of $$$ and still getting almost all of what you want.
Settling on the GS was great for me BECAUSE of the options changes that you didn't get in previous years, and leading to many of the complaints here.
That combined with the willingness to negotiate with the dealer over 2 days sealed it. It literally came down to a fully loaded GS and if he was not willing to ALSO throw in a $300 2-way remote start, I was walking :)
(obviously I won that battle haha)

Getting the GS with the iActiveSense package (which you will need to automatically take the Luxury Package) gets you everything you would have on the GT, tech-wise, IF you can live without the power seats, Bose System, Nav, front/side/back air dams/trim, and Fog Lights (most install later when feasible for you and are reallt missing it). I bought a month ago mid-winter so I also didn't take the 18" rims, but am using the 16's for snow tires only. There are a lot of juicy options for summer 18's or 19's later (Silman's ride is sick!)

Aftermarket items are great when you go digging around. For example lack of Nav was solved by Ebay lol (awaiting mine) for $200 instead of $400 at the dealer.
Having said all of that...IF the engine was different on a GT as opposed to the rest, well, all of the above no longer applies.

The centre console is definitely going to pick at you a bit but, hey, how lucky are we to even be in a position to own a vehicle right?
I do have a semi-fix for that if Mazda would like to call me up:
Personally I'd like to see the armrest slide horizontally back and forth as well as tilt up and down. The Jeep Patriot (I think 2012) has this and it would work nicely on the the CX3 letting you access the cup holders when in use without cranking your elbow out to grab a hot coffee. Then again, as others have said, an elec parking brake or foot brake would have been way better.

Hope that helps if you've not committed yet! good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes the gas tank is annoying, as is the radio that you can't shut off. I have only had the car a few weeks (2018) and found my frustration level on the rise. Has anyone found an aftermarket tank that is larger? or a work around for the radio. My wife likes books on CD if you pop the CD out you lose your place. any suggestions would be helpful

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Really? An aftermarket tank? The whole point of a multimedia system is that it’s always ready without a boot up. You need to be able to run audio in the background otherwise it would go off when you navigate around it. The off button IS the mute button so just leave in the same main menu when the system boots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My big gripe is no turbo...BUT I still love this little bugger....they could have put the 2.5 under the hood also..
Being an ex pat American living in Finland, I surmise that fuel efficiency and drivability are the most important factors in Europe. Having tested several competitors before selecting my 2017 with 2.0 gasoline engine, and automatic, it had the perfect combination for me. This more power complaint is a typical American only problem. I've owned lots of muscle cars and a Corvette in my life while living in the USA. I suggest this class of vehicle is not for you if you seek more power. Perhaps a larger SUV with multiple engine choices that offer more power is the direction you need to move towards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would gladly swap the CD player, lane departure warning and cruise control for a sunroof. Never used any of them even once.
ive never connected a phone to the car either.
I don't get the obsession with cup holders and armrests everyone on here has either.. mind you, I'm either driving in London or on country lanes mostly, and mines a manual. If I lived in the Midwest US where you can drive for 5 hours without turning the steering wheel I might change my mind.
Really, I'm 61 years old and I need the wireless Bluetooth connection for my iPhone. Plays my iTunes music brilliantly. Makes it easy to phone my contacts in my phone. Lane departure is a godsend, saved me from hitting an oncoming car from my right. Cruise control is fantastic as you can rest your right foot on a long trip. I'll agree with you on the CD player only, other items are necessary in today's world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly most of the issues I had with my 2017 CX-3 were resolved in the 2018 model. I'm actually hoping I can get ahold of the newer door gaskets to reduce wind noise in mine. They should be interchangable, right? I don't mind the small tank. I commute 50 miles each way to and from school, and I don't have any issues with worrying about my gas levels.
My blind spot monitors are misaligned I think. They tend to ping on the far lane when I'm merging left when I'm only a foot or two into the lane I want to be in, which has me hesitate to get fully into my clear lane. Plus the right sensor sometimes sees ghosts.
I really wish I had a compass on the nav screen. I tend to mentally navigate by heading, so I miss having a compass. I'm debating seeing if there's a decent one I can add to my dash, that isn't trashy.
I don't really fit the seats too well, I'm too broadshouldered, and there's a bit too much lumbar for me.

I think that's about it. The armrests are decent, sure they get in the way sometimes but considering the size of the car, I like them.

If I had to request one thing that probably hasn't been mentioned, but isn't entirely serious, I'd love a bit more cushion on the red panel I rest my knee on when using the adaptive cruise. Also if I could get interior accents that aren't red. Some day I'm going to see about getting them reapholstered to something not-red, but that's a ways off.

Overall I am loving this car. If I can, I will keep her forever.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Strange thing is, if you pull the SD card from the satnav you get a cracking compass.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I knew I had a picture somewhere!

281 - 300 of 319 Posts