Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can enter an address to navigate to just fine. It is the same as my Garmin device. But it will not start to navigate. The destination point just sits there and there is no way receive any prompts or directions from the nav unit. "Start" does not even appear where it is supposed to. None of the buttons will get the damn thing going.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Once the destination is displayed press the "<" button to get to the previous screen, then press "Start".

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I've got a bitter sweet relationship with my satnav. On the one hand, I really like how it works and the graphics and how it zooms out and zooms in depending on the intensity of the route. However, getting a route into it is not the most intuitive operation I've ever conducted.

In fact, don't be at all surprised if ever I don't turn up on the forum, I've been arrested for maiming some poor soul with a flying infotainment screen. Whoever designed the satnav dashboard, what were you thinking about?

Reactions: Cyclone1410

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find you sometimes have to press that start to navigate button twice. It usually displays a 10 second countdown to the start of trip so if you press the button again it will force start immediately but it could be more user friendly. Mazda might enhance this sat nav with the 2017 models fingers crossed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used it a number of times now and it works well but I agree the point at which you select "start" can be a bit confusing and selecting the address will just take you into a map of the destination.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have used it a number of times now and it works well but I agree the point at which you select "start" can be a bit confusing and selecting the address will just take you into a map of the destination.
I have had that happen too where the map just zooms into the destination and if you are not careful with the next button you press you end up having to re-enter all the information again. While it is nice to have an integrated nav system on the dash I sometimes think I would be better of getting an aftermarket GPS device that is a bit more advanced and user friendly.

I have also struggled with the nav voice commands for entering in a destination compared to the ease of voice commanding a garmin device. Surely you should be able to command the GPS to start without mucking around with pressing the start button.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have no issues with it, but then it compares to the Clarion nav system I had in my old Fiat Bravo (a Clarion HU with NAV that I put in when I bought the car).
But I can see what You all mean, I think I had the same issues with the Clarion when I first got it :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks everyone! I think I have control of this beast at last.

The problem is that after you have entered the address (or "home") it will sit and do nothing until you press "Navigate" once then a second time and the "Start" button will appear so you press that and you are under way. Very convoluted and confusing to say the least. And to top it off, you can't do any of this while underway. The car must sense that the wheels are motionless before you can make any settings. So you have to pull off the road and come to a stop first.

I want my Forester back!

Well, not really. The CX3 is a lot more fun to drive if you don't take the info-tainment irritations into account.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Oh heck no, that only half the battle. If you enter a post code and try to re enter one that starts with the same number it gets all smart and wants to take over.

I'm sure to get arrested one day.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I have been using the Nav system with mixed results. I especially hate it when it takes over and decides it is smarter than you are. When you have entered two or three characters and won't let you correct what it has decided you are looking for. The letters given as options may or may not be the ones you need and the ones you need are blacked out and unavailable. What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly Apple Maps does not do that (Please, please Mazda, give us the Apple system!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, I have been using the Nav system with mixed results. I especially hate it when it takes over and decides it is smarter than you are. When you have entered two or three characters and won't let you correct what it has decided you are looking for. The letters given as options may or may not be the ones you need and the ones you need are blacked out and unavailable. What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly Apple Maps does not do that (Please, please Mazda, give us the Apple system!)
It's just reducing its internal database to the entries remaining which match what you've entered so far. If it let you type something in that didn't have a match it's still not going to give you a result??

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's just reducing its internal database to the entries remaining which match what you've entered so far. If it let you type something in that didn't have a match it's still not going to give you a result??
Actually the way it does this makes it quite impossible. If I want to get to a house on a street named "Drumquin Road" and I type in "D R U" and it then takes over and spells "Drumbold" Which does not even exist in the town that I want to go to, When I try and get back to correct the word, it ends up eliminating the whole process and takes me back to entering the name of the town and the letters of the street I am trying to enter. If I try again, I get the same results, meaning that it is impossible for me to get to my destination using the Navigation screen.

Thanks a lot, Mazda! I guess I'll have to come up with another $400 - $500 for a new Garmin device and ignore the built-in Navigation which I already paid for with my GT package with Technology.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If I want to get to a house on a street named "Drumquin Road" and I type in "D R U" and it then takes over and spells "Drumbold" Which does not even exist in the town that I want to go to, When I try and get back to correct the word, it ends up eliminating the whole process and takes me back to entering the name of the town and the letters of the street I am trying to enter.
Sounds like the database doesn't have the street you're looking for. Not sure why they'd have a street that doesn't exist?? I wonder who's database they use. There are only a few large suppliers of gps data at least here in the US. Not sure how it works in other countries. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in the next revision. Have you created an account and updated your gps system? I updated ours right after we bought the car.

If you can find out who's data they use maybe you can notify them of the required update. You might find the same street missing in the Garmin database. Garmin uses NavTech maps. If the Mazda Nav system also uses NavTech the same street might be missing in the Garmin too.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like the database doesn't have the street you're looking for. Not sure why they'd have a street that doesn't exist?? I wonder who's database they use. There are only a few large suppliers of gps data at least here in the US. Not sure how it works in other countries. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in the next revision. Have you created an account and updated your gps system? I updated ours right after we bought the car.
As far as I can tell, they use the same "Navteq" database that Garmin uses. But I can't find any way to set up an account with the GPS makers I have searched the Mazda Canada site, but no mention of any account that a customer needs to set up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey, I just discovered that there is an application to download that will allow you to update the maps SD Card (Navteq). I downloaded it (Mazda Toolbox) for Mac OSX and it seems to work fine. I feel better already!

Update: I went ahead and updated my maps to the 2015 set. The toolbox goes through a backup of the old maps and then uploads the new ones on the SD Card. The whole process took about a quarter of the time that it took to update maps on my Garmin Nuvi. Very pleased!

Reactions: DJ9999

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as I can tell, they use the same "Navteq" database that Garmin uses. But I can't find any way to set up an account with the GPS makers I have searched the Mazda Canada site, but no mention of any account that a customer needs to set up.
My dealer sent me to https://mazda-na.naviextras.com to create an account, enter my VIN and register for my 3 years, (I think), of free Nav updates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts