Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm desperately trying to find a cx-3 GT FWD in Los Angeles area. Unfortunately, none of the dealerships that I have been has one. Does anybody know if we are ever gonna get one here in Los Angeles area...? I asked few people at the dealerships and they all said that they are not sure why only AWD are available. I really don't need AWD since I live in Los Angeles where it never snows... and replacing all 4 tires sounds a bit too much. I see so many intelligent people here so I decided to ask away! Thank you for your time to read this. I appreciate your help:x

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mono I don't believe you will find a FWD Grand Touring model anytime soon. Mazda made a marketing decision to not sell the FWD version or even allow dealers to order one on the East and West Coasts within the highest population centers. I live in NJ and I could get one if I drove down to Southern VA. Not one is available in NJ, PA, DE, NY, CT, MA, ME. Dealer

The dealers I've spoken too (5 of them) were told back in September that come the new year they would be able to "order" ones but it's now March and they are still not allowed in the areas I mentioned. It's caused much frustration on this forum for anyone trying to get around this problem other than travel to a state that Mazda is shipping them. Dealers told me they think Mazda will wait until later this year to allow FWD GT in to these areas.

I purchased my CX-3 GT on Monday since I grew weary of waiting....and yes it's AWD.

·
Registered
272 Posts
a GT trim with FWD is not available here in Canada, I would imagine same for US.

May I ask why you prefer FWD? Is it because lower cost? For fuel economy?

·
Registered
893 Posts
The AWD should give you better handling on dry roads too, it makes driving the car more fun. What you can do since a FWD isn't available is pressure the dealer into giving you a deep discount. They want to make the sale, they don't wanna see you walk away without a car from their dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Thank you so much everyone:laugh: I really appreciate your advice and thoughts on this. The reason why I don't want to get an AWD is because someone told me that if I get a flat tire, I must replace all 4 tires (unless they are new). Also, someone at the dealership told me that the auto insurance and maintenance fee will cost more for AWD cars...
I even asked Mazda Japan (since that is my country of origin) to see if they know what's going on, but all they said was that we should be able to get/order it over here. The CX-5 is too big for me (I am a petite woman) so when CX-3 came out I was so happy!!!...until I found about the FWD not being available... :crying:

·
Registered
872 Posts
I applaud your sensibility. The FWD is better on gas and will have less maintenance too.

As noted in your post about ordering one, have you contacted a dealer to see if they will? I can't imagine why one wouldn't. Maybe once the Thailand plant is up and running they will have more capacity to produce a wider range of models in larger quantities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! Yeah I asked a couple of dealerships, they said they can try but might take awhile (4-6 months) even if it's possible. And if I place an order through the dealership, I cannot get the discounted price that my broker is giving me... so I either have to wait for it to come out or I just have to risk it and get an AWD... tough decision!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would try to get one from the St,Louis area as that is where I bought mine and there were more FWD drives at the dealer when I bought mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As an outside observer I have no idea why the dealers in the US dealers make this process so difficult.

A sale is a sale, why can't they just allocate you a car that is on the boat now.

Essentially what happens in Australia is you view the car at the dealer, if they don't have the car in stock you want they check what is due on shipment in the coming weeks and you can purchase one of those cars. I just don't understand the policy of turning away a sale to send a car to a dealer in another state to be floor stock.

I highly doubt the dealer in that state has 'paid' for that car. It would all be done in transfer pricing when the actual sale is made.

The system just appears stupid tbh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As an outside observer I have no idea why the dealers in the US dealers make this process so difficult.

A sale is a sale, why can't they just allocate you a car that is on the boat now.

Essentially what happens in Australia is you view the car at the dealer, if they don't have the car in stock you want they check what is due on shipment in the coming weeks and you can purchase one of those cars. I just don't understand the policy of turning away a sale to send a car to a dealer in another state to be floor stock.

I highly doubt the dealer in that state has 'paid' for that car. It would all be done in transfer pricing when the actual sale is made.

The system just appears stupid tbh.
Agreed! I bet the FWDs will attract more consumers in Los Angeles. It's a beautiful car and I am so jealous of the FWD owners! hehe

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would like to re-ask why the huge preference for FWD? In no way am I criticizing your preference, just pure curiosity.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would like to re-ask why the huge preference for FWD? In no way am I criticizing your preference, just pure curiosity.
He mentioned it on the previous page:

"The reason why I don't want to get an AWD is because someone told me that if I get a flat tire, I must replace all 4 tires (unless they are new). Also, someone at the dealership told me that the auto insurance and maintenance fee will cost more for AWD cars..."

I'm not sure either of these points are entirely correct though, to a certain extent yeah you may need to replace all 4 tires if you need to replace one, however you can ask the shop instead to "shave" the new tire down to match the tread wear on your other tires, thus making sure they match. As for insurance cost being higher, I would think its the opposite as AWD is seen as a safety feature. My insurance was only marginally higher than my previous 2012 car. I can't comment on maintenance yet, but major maintenance happens at around 30,000 miles, I personally don't drive that much even in 3 years and that's about the longest I own a car. Regular maintenance (oil change, tire rotation) should cost the same regardless of FWD or AWD.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ah my apologies. I must've scrolled too fast.

Dear OP, basically what Greaseman says:

1) One punctured tire does not necessarily mean all 4 replacements, it all depends on how much wear are on your tires. For example, if you only have about 10k miles on them, you can get away with swapping 2 (like you would in a FWD) and place the worn ones to the rear. Front tires always deplete faster, even for AWD as they endure heavier load and also takes sustains more from steering, braking etc.

2) AWD being more exp. on insurance is entirely a myth. Insurance (atleast in canada) makes it actually marginally cheaper for AWD, as the car is considered more "capable", given the winters we get here. But without a doubt, AWD is the safer option, no matter which way you spin it. The price difference cannot be that great, in either case.

Clearly I am very biased towards AWD, it was a must for me when I purchased. Having tested the superior traction capabilities in 20cm snow / ice conditions ON STOCK TIRES, I am thoroughly impressed.

I truly encourage you to reconsider, not to take away from the FWD version of this car, but the CX3 with AWD is truly amazing. It has exceeded my expectations and I have owned Subarus in the past.

·
Registered
171 Posts
AWD is amazing and if you do not drive in inclement weather for any length of time then the argument that AWD is superior is wrong.
The price difference is more the just a few dollars.
I have been driving FWD cars for years and one of them was a pocket rocket and I never once had any kind of trouble with handling or getting stuck anywhere.My insurance would have jumped if I would have bought a AWD and after saying all of this I would have preferred a AWD just to have it but what the dealer had put the price around three to four grand more with the add ons they put on the AWDs.
If you live in a snowy weather climate then I can see the need for AWD but if you live in a climate where you don't see snow then FWD would be fine plus you save some money.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts