Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scheduling a time next week to bring in my 2017 CX-3 to get it checked out.

Issue:
- Either in gear or in neutral, there is a slow build-up of humming/whining sound coming from the rear portion of the car (my guess rear diff.) when the vehicle is moving between 1-5km/h or 5-1km/h. There is no other clanking sounds other than the hum/whine. Making a full radius turn is normal as well, no clanking just that humming sound. Issue is not the brakes either, same hum/whine sound is present accelerating or braking.

Car has 41,000KM and all stock parts - just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

- Also checked my VIN and there's no recall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this

Crawled underneath and the CV axle boots are still in tact and both CV axles barely have any play when i pull on them. I did find this rear diff mount ( I believe) and its rusted. hmmm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
The factory service interval for rear diff fluid is I believe 30k miles, so you are approaching that. If the dealer can not replicate the issue, you can try to change the diff fluid and see if that improves anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory service interval for rear diff fluid is I believe 30k miles, so you are approaching that. If the dealer can not replicate the issue, you can try to change the diff fluid and see if that improves anything.
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes i'll be doing that soon good point. Attached are some PDFs for this task in case anyone in the future needs them.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update!

Update!

Brought the car to the dealer and luckily I was able to reproduce the issue while the tech was in the car. At first he was puzzled and told me he highly doubt its the differential at ~44,000KM. He also mentioned at such a low speed the differential is barley doing anything/moving.

Attached is the report (interesting read if you want to know how he exposed the issue ;)). Long story short, its the rear drivers side wheel bearing! Covered under warranty of course. They ordered the part and i'll be coming in next week to have it installed.

https://imgur.com/EIXzQ8S

^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts